Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Are Documented Vessels Exempt from State Jurisdiction? >

Are Documented Vessels Exempt from State Jurisdiction?

Notices

Are Documented Vessels Exempt from State Jurisdiction?

Old 02-02-2021, 03:13 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,052 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
With my big boat, I chose to Federally document with the USCG, because it was easier to demonstrate that it was not housed at my primary residence; which saved me significant sums of money in County Personal Property Tax. If locally registered in the state, registration would need to be mailed and list my home address. And that would automagically dump into the County's tax database. I had receipts demonstrating that I paid for storage for the majority (required) of the year out of state; which negated the County's ability to tax the boat.

SOME states require the boat to still have a State Sticker on either side of the bow, even when Federally documented; just not registration numbers. Virginia does not.
Kansas is one, I had to send Pratt fish and game a copy of the USCG doc before they would issue me a registration with no numbers...
Old 02-05-2021, 04:48 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

I would like to translate this thread without offending anyone.
the million dollar loop hole that everyone is looking for is " Federally doccument vessels cannot and should not display state registration numbers"
we all want that to mean that we are not allowed to register the boat in our respective states and therefore evade paying state sales taxes. that is just not feasible in most if not all states.
the coast guard says no state registration numbers are to be displayed, that does not mean do not register it in your state and pay sales tax, the C.G. could not and does not care weather you are registered and have paid state sales tax, the individual states on the other hand do care and will do all they can do to force us to register and pay all state taxes, they do not care if we display state registration or not, just throw those little black stick on numbers in the garbage, if you do pay sales tax and pay annual registration fees you will be given a new state sticker with the current year which I strongly urge you to display on the bow of the boat without FL or NY or NJ or whatever numbers, the state enforcement boys just look for boats without that current state sticker viewing them as their next pull over and stop target.
I know what we all would like this no state registration as opposed to C.G. Documentation argument to be but it just isn't accurate or true. one thing no one wants, no matter how squeaky your may be is to have the attention off the
state Division of taxation directed to you.

Signed,
Having gone down that road
The following 2 users liked this post by mikefili:
abones (02-05-2021), KCHOTBOAT (02-06-2021)
Old 02-05-2021, 11:26 PM
Registered

Received 4,326 Likes on 1,241 Posts

In Illinois you don`t have to register the boat if it doesn`t reside in the state more than 90 days per year.
I`d like to see the tax man prove that it does . If I boat in other states and store out of state I dont have to register it or pay the tax if CG documented .
Signed ,
went down that road didn`t pay tax .
The following 2 users liked this post by ICDEDPPL:
Dean Ferry (02-06-2021), endeavor1 (02-06-2021)
Old 02-06-2021, 06:19 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 774 Likes on 353 Posts

That's one good thing about VA. No registration requirement.

https://dwr.virginia.gov/boating/wog...n-and-titling/ (see sub section 3 for anyone referencing this in the future).

My buddy is also on the board of supervisors for our country and one of his first orders of business was doing away with personal property tax on boats. Life is good.

Also - if you are CG Documented in VA and don't have numbers/registration sticker the CG and Marine Patrol NEVER bother you. They have pulled everyone in this area over but I always just get a polite wave despite the dry pipes. Even talked to one of them about that for a while last year and they were very open in saying they focused on the registered boats because those guys let registration expire, have fishing violations, not enough life jackets, etc.....

There isn't any juice to squeeze out of pulling me over with my wife and kids on board. I'm not drunk and probably sprung the $18 for flares.....

Last edited by seafordguy; 02-06-2021 at 06:35 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by seafordguy:
ICDEDPPL (02-06-2021), IGetWet (02-06-2021), Sydwayz (02-07-2021)
Old 02-06-2021, 03:54 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mikefili
I would like to translate this thread without offending anyone.
the million dollar loop hole that everyone is looking for is " Federally doccument vessels cannot and should not display state registration numbers"
we all want that to mean that we are not allowed to register the boat in our respective states and therefore evade paying state sales taxes. that is just not feasible in most if not all states.
the coast guard says no state registration numbers are to be displayed, that does not mean do not register it in your state and pay sales tax, the C.G. could not and does not care weather you are registered and have paid state sales tax, the individual states on the other hand do care and will do all they can do to force us to register and pay all state taxes, they do not care if we display state registration or not, just throw those little black stick on numbers in the garbage, if you do pay sales tax and pay annual registration fees you will be given a new state sticker with the current year which I strongly urge you to display on the bow of the boat without FL or NY or NJ or whatever numbers, the state enforcement boys just look for boats without that current state sticker viewing them as their next pull over and stop target.
I know what we all would like this no state registration as opposed to C.G. Documentation argument to be but it just isn't accurate or true. one thing no one wants, no matter how squeaky your may be is to have the attention off the
state Division of taxation directed to you.

Signed,
Having gone down that road
A few years ago we were docked at a well known Miami watering hole having lunch, I observed a pair of marine patrol officers walking up and down the docks taking down the registration numbers of what looked like every boat tied up in the slips, we were there with our Performance which had Current NJ registration numbers and registration sticker on the bow. I, as you can guess did not prepare to untie until they were what looked like long gone, as I pulled out of the slip and idled to the end of the docks they suddenly appeared and called me to tie back up, they were very interested in why we were in Fla with a NJ registered boat, I told them I had a second home in fla and trailer the boat down to get out of the cold and use in the Florida sunshine, wrong answer, they then commenced to drill me for info on when I arrived, how long was I there, did I plan to leave the boat in fla, and best of all where was my Fla cruising permit, they told me I might be required to register the boat in fla, again please the translation of “pay Florida sales tax”.