differential broke at 60,000 miles >

differential broke at 60,000 miles

Notices

differential broke at 60,000 miles

Old 11-06-2002, 06:07 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man if Ford or Chevy is the way to go I better put my truck up for sale

I just love how people love to bash the Dodges. In all fairness I will admit thier gas motors are a little underpowered and the transmissions are supposedly weak but I've owned 3 and have had no problems with them. My last one had over 100k on it and was still like new. I now own a 2500/Cummins and even though it's loud I think it is the best truck out there for the money.
Old 11-06-2002, 06:30 AM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I broke one in a 1991 GMC but it had over 100k on it!!!and it as less than $500 to fix it!!!!
Old 11-06-2002, 07:06 AM
Registered

There is a TSB out there for late nineties Dodge Ram pinion bearings going out.

I lost mine at 45000 miles on a 2WD 1500 Quad cab with the 360 and a 3.55 rear gear ratio.

I did all the work myself.

I took it apart after driving the truck from Central Ohio to Florida and back. The noise from the rear sounded like I had big mudder tires out back. I also found the TSB once I got back from the trip.

Once apart, I inspected everything and found the pinion bearings to be badly pitted. I put all new bearings and races, etc.

This is a very labor intensive project.

$2000 is not a suprise.

Even though I have the tools and ability to fix it, my next truck is not a Dodge.
Old 11-06-2002, 07:24 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

26 Scarab:

You are OK with your 2500 Cummins Dodge, those have the Dana rear axles.

Tom:
your 1500 has the Dodge built rear axle and that is why you have the problem.

The Dana's are in the Dodge 2500/3500 and if you look at them from behind they are diamond shaped and assymetrical (that tough to spell!).

The Dodge rear ends have an octaganol shape and are symmetrical.

Have them put Synthetic Diff Lube in your rebuilt unit it will run cooler.

Wannabe
Old 11-06-2002, 08:01 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 947 Likes on 476 Posts

Ive got a friend who works at a dodge dealership....all he does is rear end work. Says the Dana 44 axles arer strong but since they are built from aluminum they are junk when they go bad....you cant rebuild them or they will go bad again and sooner. The standing order at their dealership is to replace the whole thing and not even bother rebuilding!!
If you like the truck...try and find a heavy duty Dana 60 rear

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 11-06-2002, 10:41 AM
check freak

Best desiel for now= Ford power stroke
Best gas=chevy vortec

I'll stick with my 2 door Tahoe Z71

Remember: "Bow tie or Die"

God I can't believe I compliment a Ford!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-06-2002, 11:06 AM
Registered

This has been an interesting thread. Buy a Chevy???? Yea, maybe the rearend won't let go, but the steering shaft (new Silverado's) will, throttle bodies wallow out allowing the gas pedal to stick, gas engines sound like a cold cummins when starting up. Lots of good reasons to buy a Chevy! Mine is only 18 months old and has had more parts "wear out" than my previous 6 year old Ford (not saying Ford's are any better). Latest is the steering mid shaft - dealer said they are seeing alot of them coming in with binding problems. I asked if the "new" part was a better design. The mechanic just laughed and said your going to get the same part, just a new one! Also, take a look on www.pickuptruck.com in the GM trucks forum if you want to see what the latest from GM is for those with 6.0L Vortech "documented knockers" - a silent (meaning not proactively telling those with the problem, not meaning a "silent engine") engine replacement plan is supposedly just beginning. Buy a Chevy???

Last edited by bob_t; 11-06-2002 at 11:08 AM.
Old 11-06-2002, 12:58 PM
CJC
Registered

Tom,
Your truck wasn't a '98 was it?? My friend works at the Chrysler factory here (where 90% of Dodge's drive trains are built). He also said the quality control is a complete joke. '98 was supposed to be the worst. And the workers wonder why they are all getting laid off??
Old 11-06-2002, 01:53 PM
Tom
Registered

Mine is a 95, but based on this thread I guess my next one will be another brand.
Old 11-06-2002, 01:56 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my 99 jeep grand cherokee---differential, transmision and rear end have all been replaced after 45,000 miles...total joke...no towing all hwy miles

Quick Reply: differential broke at 60,000 miles

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.