Why so many O/B cats for sale >

Why so many O/B cats for sale

Notices

Why so many O/B cats for sale

Old 11-20-2019, 10:19 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 84 Likes on 31 Posts

Matt hit a good portion on the head. Also, from what I have heard through a couple friends who are upgrading, the cost to re-rig to the 450's versus trade in their still warrantied boats on new ones is almost an even out of pocket cost.
Old 11-20-2019, 10:24 AM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Go take a ride and you will see.

Originally Posted by precisiondetails
Can I ask a question- why are people calling the new MTI 390 a game changer? What am I missing?
Old 11-20-2019, 10:24 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 62 Posts

In key west this year 2 cats flipped big price tag for limited use boat!But then again cat out boards are the future? Also way 2 fast for 1st time cat owners? Insurance may also be issue?
Old 11-20-2019, 10:35 AM
Registered

Received 62 Likes on 36 Posts

13-14 new 390’s already ? What’s MTI’s build time on those ? What makes if a “ game changer” ? Just curious ..
Old 11-20-2019, 10:37 AM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,755 Likes on 1,239 Posts

Originally Posted by Nothing personel 353
In key west this year 2 cats flipped big price tag for limited use boat!But then again cat out boards are the future? Also way 2 fast for 1st time cat owners? Insurance may also be issue?
Three cats flipped, actually, but your analogy is flawed. Right, wrong or indifferent, racers push the limits—and to borrow from the "Chasing Mavericks" movie, sometimes the limits push back. But, by definition and objective, they're doing what racers do. Race. Racing is inherently dangerous and those who do it assume a significant amount of risk.

Can a 120-mph sport cat built for pleasure use have a catastrophic accident? Of course—but we've also seen more than a few of those in big cats with big stern-drive power. And the barrier to entry for either is the ability to write a check. It's not the boat. It rarely is.

It's the operator. For some operators, even a 60-mph V-bottom is way too fast.
Old 11-20-2019, 10:49 AM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 795 Likes on 258 Posts

The new cats coming to the market like the 39' MTI and the 37' DCB are big reasons the guys with 32-34' boats are moving up. The 450 allows similar, or higher, speed with a more substantial and usable size.

The WP420 is a fantastic boat.

The 38' Mystic is already proving useful to people that boat on unpredictable waters.

Last edited by Cash Bar; 11-21-2019 at 10:13 AM.
Old 11-20-2019, 01:36 PM
Registered

Received 151 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by chattviper
Go take a ride and you will see.
ok so it rides great, so do a lot of other cats.
that’s not IMO enough to designate it “a game changer”
Old 11-20-2019, 03:00 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think you could consider what MTI has done with the 390 and Doug Wrights 40 as game changing in the world of outboards. These two boats are outboard specific boats and are not converted sterndrive boats. They both achieve speed in excess of 130 without sacrificing stability and are not propped for just top end but over all boating pleasure. This is not a knock on any brand as most know my feelings towards 388 skaters but the comment really relates to the size of the boat and being specific to outboards.
Old 11-20-2019, 03:03 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bostonirish
13-14 new 390’s already ? What’s MTI’s build time on those ? What makes if a “ game changer” ? Just curious ..
Randy had 10-11 deposits in KW and he said he planned to have all of them delivered by Aug. I believe he had a couple hulls already in St. Louis
Old 11-20-2019, 03:28 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Trulio
To the original post question: Many of the people I know who've bought sport cats are in a financial position to order a new boat every one to three years. From the perspectives of cost, re-sale/trade-iin value (enhanced greatly by transferrable outboard engine warranties) and build time (that's a big one), that's a whole lot easier to do with a 28- to 39-foot sport cat than it is with, let's say, a 36- to 52-foot stern-drive catamaran.

It's definitely not my financial playground, but I'm thrilled that it is for more than a few folks I know.
All valid points but I think Matt has nailed it...the cost to re-rig one with the new 450's is a big driver I'm sure and regardless of the type boat we run everyone always wants the latest and greatest thing to hit the market and if your already purchasing a new O/B Cat price is not a barrier. It will be interesting to see the speeds of the new 38's with the 450's, I really like the looks of the Mystic 38 with the open deck on the back.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.