Like Tree14Likes

Boat Bay Progress

Old 12-01-2019, 06:52 PM
Registered

Default Boat Bay Progress

My wife said I can buy a cigarette but I had to build her a new house first. I had the house designed with a boat bay. It will have hot/cold water spigots and a sink. Shopping for tool chests now. Thinking of trying out a couple of 73" Icon tool cabinets. I originally had 14' ceiling to accommodate a 12' high door. It was framed up but once we saw it in person it ruined the exterior elevation on that side of the house. I had the framers take it down and re-frame it to 12' high ceilings. It now has a 10' high door (by 12' wide) That corner of the house looks much more appropriate now. One annoying consequence was that the builder forgot that I wanted 2 drains in this long bay. Instead he only put in one. it is sloped well so it will drain. Pisses me off every time I look at it but its not worth the cut and patch work that will be required to add it now.
Griff, dykstra, noli and 4 others like this.

Last edited by enzo thecat; 12-01-2019 at 07:04 PM.
Old 12-02-2019, 12:32 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

That looks sweet! What size Cig are you looking to park in there? I was looking to start my garage build soon and was wondering how high to clear a 38TG. Also wanted to make the roof high enough to lift the boat off the trailer Incase I wanted to maintenance the trailer or underside of the boat.
Old 12-02-2019, 08:07 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Very nice!!! I could live in there no problem, the wife could have run of the house, gimme a TV in there, shower, room for a cot, a nice boat and I'm good to go!!!!!
Old 12-02-2019, 10:17 PM
Registered

Thanks. I don’t know what size boat yet but nothing smaller than 38’. It will most likely depend on the best deal I can find at the time. The bay is 57’ long so I imagine the max will be 42’ on the trailer.

Last edited by enzo thecat; 12-02-2019 at 10:19 PM.
Old 12-03-2019, 07:23 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Why are there spacers in the sheetrock seam down the middle?
Old 12-03-2019, 08:39 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Put in a plug on it's own 30A circuit/breaker and label it "shore power" for plugging in the boat. Often, they are on the port side of the boat, but that's not a rule, so you could put one plug on each side of the bay/ 1/2 way down.

I just saw this post, and was going to recommend that you go back to the higher ceiling and door height. You could have always built a valence across the front of the door to hide it's height. I too went with 10' high doors and 12' high ceilings. And then I ended up with a toy hauler for my race car, and a fostered pontoon boat that are both 13 feet tall. Doh!

Last edited by Sydwayz; 12-03-2019 at 08:42 AM.
Old 12-03-2019, 11:28 AM
Registered

You can fit a Gladiator in there nicely!
Old 12-03-2019, 04:18 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Indy View Post
Why are there spacers in the sheetrock seam down the middle?
common practice to leave space for installation of expansion joint, but it would usually be installed every 30 ft., not necessarily dividing the room.
Old 12-03-2019, 05:22 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sydwayz View Post
Put in a plug on it's own 30A circuit/breaker and label it "shore power" for plugging in the boat. Often, they are on the port side of the boat, but that's not a rule, so you could put one plug on each side of the bay/ 1/2 way down.

I just saw this post, and was going to recommend that you go back to the higher ceiling and door height. You could have always built a valence across the front of the door to hide it's height. I too went with 10' high doors and 12' high ceilings. And then I ended up with a toy hauler for my race car, and a fostered pontoon boat that are both 13 feet tall. Doh!
30 Amps!!!???? What am i going to be doing with the boat that will have that kind of draw?

Also it wasnt the garage door that looked bad. I was trying to keep it. The problem with the higher ceilings was how it changed the roofline on that corner of the home. I wasnt going to bastardize the whole house for this. Besides, it will only ever hold a cigarette or cars. If I need more than this, I'll build another building on the property ( if I ever recover from building this)
Sydwayz likes this.
Old 12-03-2019, 05:36 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

You can probably get a Marauder in a 57 ft stall.................the 20 or 30 amp twist lock plug is standard for the marine industry and most are 120vac
Wildman_grafix likes this.

OSO Sponsor
OSO Advertiser
OSO Advertiser

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

OSO Advertiser