Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Replace or reman existing 502 mags ? >

Replace or reman existing 502 mags ?

Like Tree9Likes

Replace or reman existing 502 mags ?

Old 12-08-2019, 07:51 PM
  #1  
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: fort myers fla
Posts: 69
Default Replace or reman existing 502 mags ?

Replace with reman or rebuild existing ?
47 Fountain with triple 502 mags, all stock.
Ingested water in the Port motor Friday & it now needs rebuilt. Oil is sludge & knocking. Went ahead & compression & leak tested other two today, starboard motor isn't healthy. Center motor passes all tests with flying colors. I see I can buy remans & have them quickly but not sure if I trust that.
I'm in FLA now, used to use a builder in Sandusky Ohio for our drag race engines & stock rebuilds for our shop. Thinking about trucking them to Ohio to be done just because I trust Griff's implicitly.
Are there any highly recommended that I can trust shops in FLA for stock rebuilds ? Thanx in advance.
TENSION likes this.
smashm is offline  
Old 12-09-2019, 05:41 AM
  #2  
Registered
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 166
Default

If you want a top notch builder that does the best work I have seen go to express auto machine in DeLand.
great guys and it is always a great time when visiting their shop with all the top notch power plants they are working on.
smashm and ph1971 like this.
Bajaorlando is offline  
Old 12-10-2019, 07:22 AM
  #3  
Registered
iTrader: (2)
 
TxHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Dallas
Posts: 3,018
Default

Double check that reman availability. Lots of people advertise 502's and 496's but don't have them.
smashm likes this.
TxHawk is offline  
Old 12-10-2019, 08:11 AM
  #4  
Registered
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Merritt Island, FL
Posts: 4,609
Default

Originally Posted by Bajaorlando View Post
If you want a top notch builder that does the best work I have seen go to express auto machine in DeLand.
great guys and it is always a great time when visiting their shop with all the top notch power plants they are working on.
One correction.

Its Express Engines in Deland. (386) 734-9302
smashm likes this.
Wildman_grafix is offline  
Old 12-10-2019, 08:57 PM
  #5  
Gold Member
Gold Member
iTrader: (1)
 
ziemer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: St. Cloud, FL
Posts: 1,463
Default

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix View Post
One correction.

Its Express Engines in Deland. (386) 734-9302
Yep. Bruce Baker is great. All work done in house and he has a dyno. Very particular and doesn’t cut corners.
Wildman_grafix likes this.
ziemer is offline  
Old 12-11-2019, 02:05 AM
  #6  
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member
 
Griff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Omaha
Posts: 17,220
Default

If its saltwater cooled, you may need a reman and yours may not be rebuildable.
If being on the water in a short amount of time is important, I'd buy 2 reman long blocks, then have yours gone through to have at least one ready as a spare.
smashm likes this.
Griff is offline  
Old 12-11-2019, 07:34 AM
  #7  
Registered
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Cape coral, FL
Posts: 4,043
Default

Originally Posted by smashm View Post
Replace with reman or rebuild existing ?
47 Fountain with triple 502 mags, all stock.
Ingested water in the Port motor Friday & it now needs rebuilt. Oil is sludge & knocking. Went ahead & compression & leak tested other two today, starboard motor isn't healthy. Center motor passes all tests with flying colors. I see I can buy remans & have them quickly but not sure if I trust that.
I'm in FLA now, used to use a builder in Sandusky Ohio for our drag race engines & stock rebuilds for our shop. Thinking about trucking them to Ohio to be done just because I trust Griff's implicitly.
Are there any highly recommended that I can trust shops in FLA for stock rebuilds ? Thanx in advance.
if you’re in ft myers you have HRE hameetman racing engines in Cape Coral. Daryl is top notch.

Bruce at express is top notch also but HRE is close to home and the same quality.
smashm likes this.
Crude Intentions is offline  
Old 12-13-2019, 09:52 AM
  #8  
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: fort myers fla
Posts: 69
Default

Thank you for the responses, pulling the motors Monday here in my shop. I've been searching to find out how the water got in the crankcases of both engines. When I ramp the boat in, the moulded in swim platform is completely underwater which in turn puts the rear engines exhaust tips more than a foot under the surface. None of the spark plugs have any rust or signs of corrosion so can I assume the water did not get in through the exhaust ? But to be safe, I will be plugging the tips when I ramp it & removing the plugs before firing it up. I'm thinking possible oil coolers leaking internally or possible head or intake gaskets. Of course if it's a gasket problem, that will be taken care of during the rebuild. I just don't want to duplicate the problem with fresh motors, that would really suck.😳
Any other ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanx. Harold
smashm is offline  
Old 12-13-2019, 12:10 PM
  #9  
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Tom A.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 4,228
Default

I run the simple exhaust flappers on mine and they help keep large surges out. Also, I have header drains that let any residual water in the header drain out after shut down. It's just simple rubber hoses connected to the header drains that connect to little through hull fittings next to the trim tabs.
I would highly recommend Innovation Marine in Sarasota to do your rebuilds. They do amazing work and will stand behind it. They rerigged and maintain my boat and I could not be happier.




Tom A. is offline  
Old 12-13-2019, 01:45 PM
  #10  
Registered
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Cape coral, FL
Posts: 4,043
Default

Originally Posted by smashm View Post
Thank you for the responses, pulling the motors Monday here in my shop. I've been searching to find out how the water got in the crankcases of both engines. When I ramp the boat in, the moulded in swim platform is completely underwater which in turn puts the rear engines exhaust tips more than a foot under the surface. None of the spark plugs have any rust or signs of corrosion so can I assume the water did not get in through the exhaust ? But to be safe, I will be plugging the tips when I ramp it & removing the plugs before firing it up. I'm thinking possible oil coolers leaking internally or possible head or intake gaskets. Of course if it's a gasket problem, that will be taken care of during the rebuild. I just don't want to duplicate the problem with fresh motors, that would really suck.😳
Any other ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanx. Harold
I have a fountain and have no issues with water getting in at the ramp. I also run flappers over tips. When backing down the flappers keep water from entering. What ramp do you use?
Crude Intentions is offline  

OSO Sponsor
OSO Advertiser
OSO Advertiser

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

OSO Advertiser