Notices

Another jetty vs. boat last night

Old 12-31-2019, 12:29 PM
Registered

Received 120 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Another jetty vs. boat last night

https://www.portevergladeswebcam.com/
Live cam shows the boat is still there with people investigating it

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/b...goa-story.htmlAccording to WPLG Ch. 10, at least two people were in serious condition after the boat slammed into the jetty, which is in Dania Beach, on Tuesday just after midnight. At least four people were in the boat, which was traveling at a high speed when it crashed, Ch. 10 reported.

A woman was ejected from the 42-foot boat and sustained traumatic injuries, WSVN Ch. 7 reported.
Old 12-31-2019, 03:41 PM
Registered

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

“Just after midnight on Tuesday, December 31, 2019 Broward Sheriff Fire Rescue received a call for a 42’ vessel which struck a jetty near Port Everglades after having difficulty navigating the dark waters, ejecting one person and injuring three others.”

not good. I wonder how fast they were going?
Old 12-31-2019, 06:11 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 174 Likes on 62 Posts

There's no GPS chart plotter on a vessel that expensive?
Old 12-31-2019, 07:07 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Indy View Post
Of course there is. But you already knew that. And if you want to run the ocean at might you better rely on your eyes and know exactly where you are at, not count on a GPS. I see they are all from Indiana so that factors in to probably being clueless about the waters. Thankfully they aren't all dead.

People got hurt doing stupid things that they thought were fun. Hopefully the next person will think more than twice. But probably not....

Last edited by ActiveThunder; 01-01-2020 at 06:36 AM.
Old 01-01-2020, 10:18 AM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

We can talk about how the people didn’t know what they were doing, they were drinking, etc..... but how hard would it be to illuminate all of the jetty’s??? I don’t mean one little blinking navigational light on the end, I mean light the whole thing up with bright lights.
Old 01-01-2020, 11:43 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 302Sport View Post
We can talk about how the people didn’t know what they were doing, they were drinking, etc..... but how hard would it be to illuminate all of the jetty’s??? I don’t mean one little blinking navigational light on the end, I mean light the whole thing up with bright lights.
Actually, in the day of LEDS, quite easy. And I agree with your point. You just have to wait until a family member of a politician gets killed for it to happen.
Old 01-01-2020, 01:52 PM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

I have heard that big issue with the government lighting jettys is that in court they are basically admitting guilt and opening a can of worms regarding old accidents.
Old 01-01-2020, 03:24 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

maybe it is just a cost issue... why pay for lights when nav equiptment is much better this made the national news this am....
Old 01-01-2020, 06:11 PM
Registered

Received 91 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Indy View Post
you can still get yourself in a pickle at speed
Old 01-01-2020, 06:22 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 174 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by hogie roll View Post
you can still get yourself in a pickle at speed
I hardly think a jetty is not marked on charts and electronics. Reading a chart (yeah...a paper chart) and paying attention to your electronic devices is a great start, but not the be all/end all for boating at night. I don't know the exact circumstances of this incident but lack of preparation, not paying attention and speed is a big reason for many of these occurrences.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.