Notices

Transom moisture test

Old 01-02-2020, 05:24 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transom moisture test

What is involved in a transom moisture test?
Old 01-02-2020, 06:28 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,124 Likes on 474 Posts

You can buy a moisture meter or get a surveyor to check it out for you. I don't know about the quality or price, I'm sure there's good and bad one's on the market.

Cheap way, get a smallish hammer, wrap a layer of cloth over the head and gently tap it all over the transom. You'll hear the difference between a sharp knock (dry) and a dull thud (wet). Most suspect areas are around any thru-hull fittings where moisture could get in, exhaust tips, sterndrive, trim tabs, steering fittings, ski hooks etc.

RR

Last edited by rak rua; 01-02-2020 at 06:32 PM. Reason: Poor grammar.....
Old 01-05-2020, 03:27 PM
Registered

Thank for the information. It was very informative.
Old 01-06-2020, 03:48 PM
Registered

Received 1,827 Likes on 716 Posts

I am a fan of Rak Ruas method and it has never lied to me, and have used it 100’s of times.
On the other hand, I have heard numerous times of a moisture meter/operator being wrong.
Old 01-06-2020, 04:35 PM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

I like bringing some 4200 and a small drill bit. If the boat is solid all the wood will come out blond, and can fill holes back up. Many times the owner will not allow this, is just my way to verify. Have not found a moisture meter (not saying there isn't one) that can read thru fiber glass with good accuracy

Ask the guy that owns the boat if you can use a Phillips screw drive on the lower portion of the transom and stringers. Tell them your going to push real hard. If its not wet the screw driver will do nothing, if its wet it will penetrate or crack.
Old 01-06-2020, 06:48 PM
Registered

Received 1,827 Likes on 716 Posts

I have a broker/friend who won’t take a listing if they won’t let him drill a hole on inside of transom.

He then tells clients what the wood looked like that was drilled out.

I looked at one where his drilling’s were wet but not rotted.
interesting.....
Old 01-06-2020, 09:22 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Old timer trick is a thick base bottom spark plug socket. Rap the glass in a semi fast motion and you will hear the nice sharp clean pings for the good spots and for any bad spots and or hollow spots will be dull thump sounding.

Been doing that for 40 years now - you have to have somewhat a good ear for it as well . Kind of like a mechanic listening for bad noises from a running engine to pin point issues.

The issue with the drill bit is if you drill into an air void - the bit comes out clean fooling you thinking its a good spot.
Old 01-14-2020, 02:32 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Twin O/B Sonic
I have a broker/friend who won’t take a listing if they won’t let him drill a hole on inside of transom.

He then tells clients what the wood looked like that was drilled out.

I looked at one where his drilling’s were wet but not rotted.
interesting.....
so what do they do about filling the holes and how bid are they
big
Old 01-14-2020, 06:56 PM
Registered

Received 1,491 Likes on 806 Posts

If you go this route an 1/8" bit is plenty and vet syringes are available locally and just fill in slowly to avoid air pockets and just tape over til hardened. Not a big deal but like Bup said a socket/ball pean hammer and little common sense goes a long way. Just need an ear for it.
Old 01-14-2020, 07:10 PM
Registered

Received 97 Likes on 41 Posts

Buy a Tramex Skipper plus, that and a hammer or a good plastic handed bigger screw drive or chisel . Saved me from 5 wet boats this year.
The following users liked this post:
Flyingcat (08-23-2020)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.