Notices

Just curious

Old 01-09-2020, 10:29 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

500 hp and down are federal mandated CAT emission controlled engines but on the wakeboard market even the 550 hp engines are CAT engines because the are used for wake surfing -- so less emissions behind the boat, The wake boats used this to their advantage selling their boats and marketed --- cleaner burning engines behind the boat so OWNERS DO NOT DIE nor GET sick when performing activities behind the boat. In 2006 this was indmar and Malibu main marketing - cleaner burning engines. Hence the reason why they went to a CAT engine before they ever had to by law.

Anyways here is the GM list of who is using the GM direct injection platform - if you notice Indmar and Mercruiser are not on it anymore.

Indmar went to Ford and Roush Racing for the Marine Raptor app and Mercruiser for the black side is 30 year old internal engine design but use a USA foundry to make their blocks. Mercruiser uses zero GM parts anymore.

https://www.gmpowertrain.com/marine.html

Last edited by BUP; 01-09-2020 at 11:52 AM.
Old 01-09-2020, 10:36 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

here is the V6 4.3 that Volvo stated with in 2014 from GM

This is the engine in a Regal I/O I tested for the day back in 2014 --- before it was release to market.

https://www.gmpowertrain.com/engines/4-3l-lv1.html

Old 01-09-2020, 10:51 AM
Registered

Received 1,325 Likes on 739 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP
LOL, yea having a clean exhaust is a good idea behind wake surfing boats! We didn't need to worry when I was trick skiing and barefooting, we were far enough behind.

I have been to that site and got a quote from marine power for the 550 HP bobtail motor as a repower. The air boat guys are getting 1500-1800 hours before top ends on those and about 3000 before rebuilds. That sounds pretty good to me, two year warranty. Still not the 5-7 but not bad.

That was last summer and they told me that GM was working on making the LT4 a marine engine but I don't think they have done it yet.

Great info BUP, thank you.