Spinning/Turning on Axis Staggared Six Drive Boat >

Spinning/Turning on Axis Staggared Six Drive Boat

Notices

Spinning/Turning on Axis Staggared Six Drive Boat

Old 02-13-2020, 10:11 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Spinning/Turning on Axis Staggared Six Drive Boat

How difficult is it to turn/spinning a Staggared Six Drive boat in a tight lagoon? V Hull.

My last boat had bravo 3's on the 370ss and turned easily. The dual props grabbed lots of water. My lagoon coming on and off lift I need to spin and be able to control in windy and current situations.

Im looking at a 46' 1075 boat

How much difficulty should I expect or can a Staggared Six boat turn easily?

Old 02-13-2020, 11:10 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 370ss500efi
How difficult is it to turn/spinning a Staggared Six Drive boat in a tight lagoon? V Hull.

My last boat had bravo 3's on the 370ss and turned easily. The dual props grabbed lots of water. My lagoon coming on and off lift I need to spin and be able to control in windy and current situations.

Im looking at a 46' 1075 boat

How much difficulty should I expect or can a Staggared Six boat turn easily?
came from a bravo boat to a staggered six boat. Two issues. Large pitch propellers are not wonderful in reverse. And the staggered set up does not allow for the one reverse and one forward easy spin on axis. It’s doable. Just a substantial adjustment. Others may have more experience and some tricks to the trade.
Old 02-14-2020, 07:08 AM
Registered

Received 234 Likes on 81 Posts

To add to above...high X dimension so water is hitting back of boat instead of going under.
Old 02-14-2020, 07:29 AM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

A little throttle, trim at neutral, and turn the wheel with the direction of thrust.
if your trying to get the stern to starboard turn the wheel right, port in reverse and give it a little port throttle.
the only difficult part of it is if you get in a bad situation remembering all the input you gave the boat to move that direction I.e. back to idle, both shifters in neutral, wheel back straight.
Old 02-14-2020, 08:48 AM
Registered

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

Just trim the engines up a bit when you spin, especially if you have a staggered set up. By trimming up a bit, you give less bite to the forward prop as it shoots water more to the surface. The reverse prop will direct the water downward slightly therefore not straight against the transom. That gives your reverse prop more bite. Usually give the reverse prop slightly more RPM and with a little practice you can spin it on an axis. When you get older and lazier you just buy a bow thruster!
Old 02-14-2020, 08:58 AM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

It hasn't been mentioned but I'd think prop direction would matter?

I'm spinning "Out", and it pivots surprisingly well. If getting into a really tight spot I may have to give a little bit of throttle to the reverse drive.
Old 02-14-2020, 12:13 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

It's absolutely doable, but takes some practice. My boat (#6 drives, 18" stagger, 6-blade 17" x 37" props, spinning in) will not spin by just keeping the wheel straight and using shifters. I keep the trim neutral and turn the wheel just like driving a single engine. Use one engine at a time and shift the side that you want the back end to move. Don't shift into gear until you turn the wheel the direction you want to move and I rarely need to use the throttles. Also, with big propellers it helps to have aerators to keep the boat from lunging and tossing the crew off when you shift.

GF?