Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Original Aronow Cary Cigarette scale model >

Original Aronow Cary Cigarette scale model

Notices

Original Aronow Cary Cigarette scale model

Old 02-15-2020, 10:53 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought two scale Cigarette hulls in Miami in 1984. They were fiberglass with baby blue gelcoat and 48" long. No proof of provenance but Orange Blossum Hobbies in Miami at that time said that were made for Cigarette Racing Team. I sold one to a friend and still have mine 36 years later. It was the model for the 73" hull that I designed and sold for a while 20 years ago. I will get some pictures if anyone is interested. I have battery powered scale Merc stern drives from Germany on it. Matt, if your's is the Italian model, I would put it on ebay with a reserve that you are satisfied with and see what the market thinks it's worth. It is really impossible to put an accurate value on these. Bob.
Old 02-15-2020, 12:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the insights. The way I understand it I have to contribute to 10 posts before I can post pictures. I hate to post frivolously and waste people’s time. If someone would be willing to post them for me I could email the pictures. I would enjoy sharing them knowing it might give you a tiny fraction of the joy I felt when I first saw it.
Old 02-15-2020, 12:08 PM
Registered

Incidentally I don’t remember exactly what I paid for mine but coincidentally it was $400 and something.
Old 02-15-2020, 12:16 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,051 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Originally Posted by MattM
Incidentally I don’t remember exactly what I paid for mine but coincidentally it was $400 and something.
I sent you a pm ( private message )
Old 02-15-2020, 01:23 PM
Registered

Received 3,020 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by larslindroth
The original ones, like this one might be, were made in Italy for Don. About a dozen of them. One changed hands on eBay in 2004 for $430. That was considered a steal then. Don's daughter Claudia(in the photo) has one and a Doctor Santiago used to own one. A few photos of the one Harry bought on eBay in 2004 and a link to the OSO thread about it.

Thread link: Scale Model of 32' Cary "The Cigarette"

what happened to Santiago’s custom gun zero cavity McManus redid? That thing was bad ass back in the day. Then the wife got it in the divorce and it sat for a while. Haven’t heard of it on 5-8 years now.

Last edited by thisistank; 02-15-2020 at 03:46 PM.
Old 02-15-2020, 02:55 PM
Registered

I’ve received a number of folks interested in purchasing it Thank you. Is there anyone out there willing to post pictures to the thread?

if so please pm me.
Old 02-15-2020, 03:12 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,051 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Old 02-15-2020, 06:05 PM
Registered

Thank you Speedy!
Old 02-19-2020, 04:18 AM
Registered

Received 638 Likes on 295 Posts
Default The Cigarette scale models, made in Italy, U.K., U.S.A. & everywhere.

Can't edit my previous post any more, but want to make clear that the boat Harry bought on eBay in 2004 was not one of the about dozen original boats commissioned by Don Aronow, supposedly from Italy. Harry's boat was made in the U.K. My guess is that Matt's boat might also be from the same manufacturer, though with a few different details of self-assembly.

Dr. Gérardo Santiago aquired one of the original dozen from Cigarette, (photo of Dr. Santiago's model at Cigarette Racing in 2000). Don's son Michael has the one that Don displayed at his office back in the day. Don's daughter Claudia's model is supposedly also one of the original dozen.

The H.O.R.B.A. re-creation of the original dozen where a collaboration between Charlie McCarthy and Michael Aronow. Having Michael's original model and the professional model building executed by Christian Del Collo, with team, they turned out really nice. They started selling in 2006 for $2,500.00 and have sold well more than 20 boats. 2nd photo with wood stand, signed and numbered plaque.

Old 02-19-2020, 04:36 AM
Registered

Received 638 Likes on 295 Posts
Default Dr. Gérardo Santiago's Cig TG Zero Cavity.

Originally Posted by thisistank
what happened to Santiago’s custom gun zero cavity McManus redid? That thing was bad ass back in the day. Then the wife got it in the divorce and it sat for a while. Haven’t heard of it on 5-8 years now.
I don't even know who bought it and if Doc kept his 31 Bertram? Really liked Zero Cavity though and that Doc gave rides to all those kids for several years. Well, with the recognition of being a World Champion comes some responsibility and he sure gave a lot of smiles back to the coming generations of boaters.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.