Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Question from JEFFREY the founder of OSO! >

Question from JEFFREY the founder of OSO!

Notices

Question from JEFFREY the founder of OSO!

Old 02-26-2020, 11:37 AM
Registered

Received 832 Likes on 352 Posts

Welcome back and awesome rig!
Old 02-26-2020, 02:49 PM
Registered

Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts

This past season I swapped my prop rotation from inward to outward on my 40ss and noticed the boat was bow steering more than I was comfortable with. Later found out I needed a 16.5 diameter prop and not 17". The larger wheel was causing too much transom lift with the outward rotation. What rotation are you spinning and do you know your prop diameter and rake?
Old 02-26-2020, 02:59 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 795 Likes on 258 Posts

What Big Farmer said. And if you have shaft drive they like even less prop rake in most cases.
Old 02-26-2020, 04:04 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Cash Bar
What Big Farmer said. And if you have shaft drive they like even less prop rake in most cases.
When it was in Ohio it looks like it had 6's with an outward rotation

Old 02-26-2020, 04:27 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 368 Likes on 247 Posts

what a beast! i was talking about the boat of course! Welcome back on OSO and thanks for starting it up !
Old 02-26-2020, 04:32 PM
Registered

Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeffrey
Can't believe it's been almost 25 years since that one Sunday where I sat with some canned software and created OSO (I'm not even sure Claris software is around anymore). After selling the site to Steve a few years later he then took it to the next level many times over. His passion for everything offshore powerboating was evident and the continued success of the site today is due in large part to his many contributions.

The one thing I find most amusing about the website today is the logo. Neither Steve nor the company who purchased OSO every bothered to "update" the logo. That same logo with the flames is now vintage! Many of you with older boats will remember a time when flames were the "IN" thing in our community (and perhaps some of you still believe so ... ha ha!). Anyway, I've been in and out of the boating world over the last few decades and most recently (three years ago) dipped my foot back into the world of big boats. I had always been a Cigarette guy having owned everything from a Cafe Racer to multiple Top Guns (including a F2 race boat), a Gladiator and a Tiger. I loved the brand and still admire everything they are producing today. When I sold my last Cigarette I knew that the only thing that might draw me back into the boating world was something really different and extreme.

When Hellfire - the turbine powered 46 Skater came up for sale - I couldn't resist the allure. Although it's been challenging at times I've enjoyed owning the boat and plan to own it for many years to come. As difficult as it may be to own/operate such a beast - you just can't beat the uniqueness of the setup. I plan to have it on a trailer in the Eye of the Storm in April at Lake Havasu. Come by and say hello if you're there! Anyway, sorry for the lengthy lead up to my question but it's been years since I've made a post so I figured I might as well reminisce a little while doing so!

Since a majority of my experience has been operating deep vees I have a question about my Skater and am looking for some opinions from those of you with alot more "cat" experience. Even though I've run the boat for the past few years I feel like the set up is not exactly right. From my little experience in cats I know they get "darty" when there's too much sponson in the water. I'm assuming this is due to the boat actually not being fully on plane yet. My boat actually stays "darty" above 100mph and I'm wondering if it's due to the fact that the combined turbine weight is about 500-600lbs less than two large piston powerplants. If the boat was originally set up with large blower motors and then converted to turbines would this adversely affect the boat's CG with so much less weight in the stern? Is the boat basically too bow heavy now? My original thought was that the "dartiness" was due to the fact that I wasn't going fast enough. Now I'm wondering if it's just ballast related? Maybe the boat just needs more rear ballast?

I look forward to some input, old friends saying hello, or just plain comments about OSO. I'm glad to have played my little part in creating a great resource that's endured the test of time. I probably won't post again for another few years so I wish everyone a happy and safe 2020 boating season!

Jeffrey
knot right has a turbine 46 skater. At least im
pretty sure that’s his creen name. He had a rebuild the turbines thread here on oso about it. He had a hustler before the skater. Good luck
Old 02-26-2020, 04:35 PM
Registered

Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts

Just throwing this out there. My father had a huckins 70ft sportfish after installing a crane and 16 egret flats boat on the bow. He had to pull the rudders together a bit to add bow lift to get the bow up to the right angle...
Old 02-26-2020, 04:42 PM
Registered

You could always try this! ⬆️
Old 02-26-2020, 06:11 PM
Registered

Received 793 Likes on 448 Posts

spinning props out on a cat provides speed at the sacrifice of handling...

Last edited by speicher lane; 02-26-2020 at 06:13 PM.
Old 02-26-2020, 06:25 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jeffrey- I have a set of 16.5x38x18R you are welcome to try.I think the 16.5 diameter is the way to go ,tuning out and a 18 degree rake will raise the bow which sounds what you need.
On my 40 classic that Vern now owns,it doesn’t “break free” till over 100 mph.Let me or Vern know when you want to “Test”.
Gary Smith

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.