Best Place to Retire for Boating >

Best Place to Retire for Boating

Notices

Best Place to Retire for Boating

Old 03-29-2020, 01:16 PM
Registered

Received 3,072 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Originally Posted by ToMorrow44
Tank, what Lucky said! South Florida is a great place to visit, living there is a PIA. Honestly not much cheaper than SoCal. No state income tax, but FL nickel and dimes you to death in other ways. I grew up in SoCal, I’ve never seen traffic like south Florida.

Agreed that the fort Meyers, Cape Coral area was a lot more relaxed and seems everything was cheaper there.

Don’t forget the yearly hurricane evacuation. It’s exactly like Covid-19 craziness...every year lol.

Good info in this thread! I’m liking Tennessee, beautiful country up there!

I was referring more to middle keys and / or SW Florida. As stated above Sarasota and Ft Myers are soooooo clean and laid back and the boating is killer. I barely like visiting the East coast of Florida. Reminds me of Los Angeles and other parts of so cal too much. Crowded, traffic and a lot of keeping up with the Jones’s BS. The hurricane stuff would be irritating as would the huge bug issues in Florida. Me no likey big bugs. Wife no likey gnarly humidity. For now, we’re staying in so cal lol
Old 03-29-2020, 01:40 PM
Registered

Received 735 Likes on 330 Posts

Lake Powell, Utah.
Old 03-29-2020, 01:51 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 84 Likes on 31 Posts

My retirement plan is a house on the upper Chesapeake and a condo on the west coast of Florida. Boating on the Chesapeake is amazing and good for a solid 8 months. Florida is the best in winter! If you don't want a permanent place in Florida, trailer the boat back and forth for the winter seasons (storage is very reasonable down there and no winterization) and visit it a couple times each winter. I do it now, trailer down in the fall, leave the truck and all and pick it up in the spring. I incorporate a boating event on each trip and then fly down a couple times a season (work and life dependent) and can trailer it anywhere in the state relatively easily.

Last edited by Tom A.; 03-29-2020 at 01:57 PM.
Old 03-30-2020, 03:03 PM
Registered

Received 895 Likes on 486 Posts

https://www.thebiminisands.com/

South Bimini is tough to beat! 50 miles from Ft Lauderdale, condos in the above link are 130-295K. If you have any talent it would be a fantastic place to start a business (boat repair, pizzeria, golf cart repair heck even a small convenience/grocery store is badly needed). No income tax in the Bahamas and no US tax on the first 100K you earn there.
Old 03-31-2020, 09:56 AM
Registered

Received 107 Likes on 61 Posts

BUP touched on Texas...any other opinions on TX? Austin in expensive and taxes are high. What about up the river at Lake Lyndon B. Johnson or Buchanan Lake? What about Houston / Lake Conroe area? I don't want 4 seasons but I'm guessing the summers are hotter than balls?
Old 03-31-2020, 10:28 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,055 Likes on 1,359 Posts

[QUOTE=Tiki Joe;4731514]BUP touched on Texas...any other opinions on TX? Austin in expensive and taxes are high. What about up the river at Lake Lyndon B. Johnson or Buchanan Lake? What about Houston / Lake Conroe area? I don't want 4 seasons but I'm guessing the summers are hotter than balls?[/QUOTE]

African hot..........summer starts right after fall..............