Build quality of Fountain CC's >

Build quality of Fountain CC's

Notices

Build quality of Fountain CC's

Old 03-25-2020, 01:39 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Build quality of Fountain CC's

After recently moving to S Florida, I am about to start looking for a boat. I see that there are several Fountain center consoles around my area for sale. I have personally not looked at one and was curious if the build quality is better than the I/O boats. More specifically, should I be worried about the transoms being rotted after 10 years like the I/O boats.

Last edited by snapmorgan; 03-25-2020 at 02:20 PM.
Old 03-25-2020, 06:16 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 121 Likes on 63 Posts

Owned a 34 CC for a few years and was very happy. Wiring was a bit sloppy but never bothered me because everything worked and it was well hidden anyway. Structurally, it was a very solid, quite heavy boat. Performed extremely well with triple Verados, never had any concerns in rough water.

I never thoroughly checked the transom. Everything seemed rock solid. It was a lightly used, indoor stored boat. Comparing an outboard transom to an inboard transom is harsh, the outboards are so simple with fewer holes drilled and no big cutouts for exhausts and drives. I guess the same rules still apply, pre purchase survey and due diligence.

I had never seen a Fountain CC before buying mine (unseen) and was very happy with the purchase. Great boat, rode fast, dry and comfortable.

Happy shopping.

RR
Old 03-25-2020, 08:45 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by snapmorgan View Post
After recently moving to S Florida, I am about to start looking for a boat. I see that there are several Fountain center consoles around my area for sale. I have personally not looked at one and was curious if the build quality is better than the I/O boats. More specifically, should I be worried about the transoms being rotted after 10 years like the I/O boats.
Their great boats and ride very nice and I can tell u they are very fast for a center console. If ur worried about the transom test it itís very easy to do. ANY boat can be wet. There is no set rule of after 10 years x boat is rotted. If ur worried test it. I can tell u I personally have seen 1990 fountain cc that are drier than other 2000 boats. The best answer to ur question is itís a case by case there is no set rule. For the value they are hard to beat.
Old 03-25-2020, 09:29 PM
Registered

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Most transom rot issues were due to poor sealing on through holes in the transom, mainly exhaust. I replaced my exhaust tips years ago and found that the plastic trim rings used by Fountain were not watertight , but my cutouts were sealed and dry. Replace the tips with a new set of one piece tips and made sure to add new sealer and have had no issues. And that was a long time ago. I was not so fortunate on another boat I had, different brand, seal around transom assembly leaked and got the core wet. Was caught early and repaired at minimal expense. Just My 2C
Old 03-26-2020, 10:04 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are they still using any wood in a transom?