Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Wellcraft Excalibur 45 any pros - cons? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/365612-wellcraft-excalibur-45-any-pros-cons.html)

lear60man 05-03-2020 07:29 PM

Yea, agree on the showers....its on the list before it goes back in the drink. New anodes and a few other things to finish getting her ready to come home.

rak rua 05-03-2020 07:30 PM

Congratulations, looks beautiful and the best part, built in Australia! :D

RR (Proud Aussie)

underpsi68 05-03-2020 08:11 PM

Beautiful boat. Best of luck!!!!

lear60man 05-03-2020 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by mitchb (Post 4736994)
I've had my '96 45 for over 10 years, but don't have a ton of time in it as it was dry stored for many years. I love it - that's why I've kept. I bought from meticulous second owner on the Chesapeake, it's now on a TX lake...

My advice is first determine what max and/or cruise speed you have to have.
Since we're on the OSO site, I'm guessing you want a lot and can sacrifice some comfort.
Then do the math on what running cost you can afford. My Excalibur weighs about 15K. That's not light. With a narrow-beam of around 11 ft, it manages the weight very well. But 15 K is 15K. You can't fight physics. It will take a lot of energy to make that fast, and regardless of brand if you want 50+ speed, you will buy A LOT of gas to do it. If that doesn't faze you, I'd maybe look for a three engine Sunseeker. The beam is a bit wider, so there's more cabin. Yes, you can repower the Excalibur, but for the costs / asspain, I'd just start with something designed for more HP. But that's me.

If you can live with high 30s cruise, high 40s max (mine has bottom paint) I don't think you can beat the excalibur. Of the comparable boats I've been on (some but not all of those mentioned here), mine is far and away a better turning boat, handles any chop way better, and just a better looking boat. I has a timeless (to me) clean design style somewhere between the Euro boats, and the overly swoopy Formulas and SeaRays of the period. The styling looks fantastic today, while the others have not aged well at all. When you tie up, be ready to talk about it. Not mentioned here is the build quality and solid feel - mine feels like a tank. The cabin is very roomy for the 11 1/2 ft beam. The staterooms are fore and aft for good separation. Queen in front, with queen and a half in back for the kids and friends.

Let me know if you have questions.

Thanks for the words of wisdom. Yea some boats really dont age well. Agreed that these still look beautiful as the day they hit the water. The last thing I wanted is to see my boat at every dock (Sea Ray). A Top Gun was a close second, but in the end it wasnt going to meet our intended missions. RE power/speed, Im more than happy with cruise in the 30's with a top end of 50. I got 30 on the GPS at 3000rpm Saturday, so 50 WOT doent seem out of the question after the break in period and oil change. I still need to play with the outdrive rigging, one looks a few degrees toe out. Then maybe get the props labbed. In other words....Im not making any repower plans soon haha.

Originally Posted by rak rua (Post 4737047)
Congratulations, looks beautiful and the best part, built in Australia! :D

RR (Proud Aussie)

I hear they are built like a tank!

Originally Posted by Interceptor (Post 4737003)
Zero hour rebuilt engines can be a problem. It would be much better with some hours and sorting out done.

Well, Im the first person to put it in the water and so far so good. Ive done break in flights on various pistons and jets over the years so it will be my failure or success to own. But I get what you are saying as its a time when any mistakes in the rebuild process can rear their ugly head. Its a calculated risk I guess.

jeff32 05-03-2020 09:30 PM

Nice find! Enjoy the beast!

Sonic30ss 05-04-2020 05:42 AM

Congrats! I know you will enjoy her!
I have a couple Simrek drive showers I took off, also I suggest Brett at Bblades for the prop tuning he did a fantastic job on my props real before/after data backed improvements