Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Wellcraft Excalibur 45 any pros - cons? >

Wellcraft Excalibur 45 any pros - cons?

Notices

Wellcraft Excalibur 45 any pros - cons?

Old 03-31-2020, 04:24 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Wellcraft Excalibur 45 any pros - cons?

I really like the lines and cabin layout. Just closed on a house in Punta Gorda, so a boat is the next logical step.
Old 03-31-2020, 07:38 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Congratulations on your new home! You'll certainly get well acquainted with now during club quarantine!

As for the Excalibur, I am no expert, however, maybe this could help? Wellcraft Excalibur 45 and 47 Differences?

There seems to be some very nice models in that category, perhaps the Fountain could be in an option, as that, at least, has a stepped hull.
Old 03-31-2020, 08:01 PM
Registered

They're nice cruisers. I do prefer a Sundancer aesthetically or a similar Formula SS or PC.

Better yet, look at some Sunseekers.
Old 03-31-2020, 08:36 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

They were all built by Riviera in Australia. I've spent quite a lot of time on the Aussie version (called a Riviera) and they're great boats. By OSO standards, they aren't fast. The one I used to go on was wet stored and antifouled, 502's and Bravo 3's. Always kept clean and bottom fresh, top speed mid-high 40's with a moderate load.

Good wave crushers, they are a big heavy boat and at slower speeds, around 25 mph, the waterline length will carve through some very rough water.

Sea Ray (mentioned above) is also great. I owned a 410 Sundancer and comparing the two boats, the Sea Ray top speed was 30 mph and cruise at 24 with Cat diesels. Bigger beam, masses of room on board and would stick the bow up a bit and just push through anything. Sunseeker, also mentioned above are lovely. Spent time on a 62' and it was a lot like the Riviera only much bigger. So was the price!

Very different boats but I'd be happy to own any of them, just depends on budget and needs.
Whatever you do, be sure to survey everything and get it fully checked before buying.

Happy shopping!

RR

Last edited by rak rua; 03-31-2020 at 08:39 PM.
Old 03-31-2020, 09:21 PM
Registered

Thanks guys. Good looking boats but not a Sundancer fan. Im sure they are great boats and but im the type of guy who doesnt like to see his twin at every marina. Love the Sunseeker brand, out of the ballpark for me cash-wise. Hell, this boat is pushing the budget in the Corona era, but screw it. I worked too hard over the last 20 years to get back to living on the water in Fl.

Interesting info about the Bravo 3's needing service every 100 hours. I also found an Excalibur 38...would that model also need the outdrives serviced every 100 hours?

So here is the dilemma. The 38 and 45 owners both claim new engines and drives. The 38 has a new genset, the 45 no generator. The 38 is 'ready to run' while the 45 is in the process of having the outdrives put on. Price difference 10k.

Personally, I want more room and the extra 10k is worth it. So leaning towards the 45 with the 38 as a back up.

Its been 20 years since I had to sell my Scarab......Im way over due.
Old 03-31-2020, 09:53 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Cool boats I almost bought one. I have 2 close friends with then who love them just budget for drives drives drives lol! Both also had to rebuild the 502s. Seems like the maintenance schedule is more on par with a performance boat than an in-board cruiser. Again very cool boats!
Old 03-31-2020, 10:54 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by offshorexcursion View Post
Cool boats I almost bought one. I have 2 close friends with then who love them just budget for drives drives drives lol! Both also had to rebuild the 502s. Seems like the maintenance schedule is more on par with a performance boat than an in-board cruiser. Again very cool boats!
Thanks for the heads up. Looks like servicing the drives seems simple/cheap enough every 100hrs. But if they get chewed up like a full on performance boat....I might lean towards the 38. Lots of good info, thanks again.
Old 04-01-2020, 07:57 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have a 31PC with bravo 3's, bought in 04 and other than one needing a new carrier bearing a few years ago have been awesome. No other problems. I know the 31 is a bit smaller though.
Old 04-01-2020, 08:05 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I am assuming you mean the 45 needs a "New" generator. Cant imagine a 45 without one. Anyway bigger is always better and the Excalibur will be more sporty to drive. I would not even consider the Sundancer if you like the Excalibur. Sundancer is just a totally different type of boat. I have a Cruisers 500 express twin Volvo 675 hp diesels. It cruises at 31 mph. Top speed is like 37. Even in a big boat like that anything over 4 ft waves is not comfortable at anything over 20 mph. Anyway get the 45 and a new generator.

Chris
Old 04-01-2020, 08:19 AM
Registered

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Thatís a ton a boat for twin bravos. To get it reliable and quick Iíd put SCX uppers on it and stroke the engines. But thatís a $40k adventure.

Im with you though, I like them a lot more than a sea ray.

If it were me, the ready to run 38 would be the way to go. Because Iím lazy. More reliable, faster and ready to run. Just offer the asking price of the 45 for it. I think you can make aggressive offers in this environment.

Most other sport cruisers have triples at that size. Which means they get cheap as they get older. You could look at triple engine fountain and the sun seeker 48 superhawk

OSO Sponsor
OSO Advertiser
OSO Advertiser

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

OSO Advertiser