39 Cigarette GTS or 39 NorTech Sport

Notices

39 Cigarette GTS or 39 NorTech Sport

Old 04-11-2020, 03:48 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 36 Likes on 10 Posts
Default 39 Cigarette GTS or 39 NorTech Sport

In the market to purchase a center council boat for my place in fort myers beach.
Any advice on the pluses or minuses on a 39 NorTech or Cigarette would be appreciated.

Here’s a few links to possible boats I’m looking at.

cigarette

https://www.offshoreonly.com/classif...rs-o77142.html

https://www.lipship.com/used_boats/view/115

nortech

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/201...nsole-3642106/

https://www.americancustommarine.com...8074-10474395i

Old 04-11-2020, 05:15 AM
B38
Registered

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Your first choice Oso classified cig. New 400s with 6 hours.
nice vessel with joy stick. My 2 cents
Old 04-11-2020, 05:29 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 74 Likes on 24 Posts

I had the exact same question a few years ago. I was lucky enough to look and sea trial one of each, back to back, on the same day. Scott Ryerson , from Suncoast Powerboats, had both for sale. My opinions, you can’t go wrong with either. Both are best equipped with triples, I think even more so on the Cig. No need for quads. Build quality is pretty equal, and obviously , at a high level. I was able to run each, back to back, same water, same conditions. I wasn’t looking to be the fastest, not the boats for that, but enough sporty feel to have some fun when desired. Both boats had trip 350’s, again, in my opinion, perfect power. Where I boat, 89 octane is all that’s available. 400’s, at the time, gave you the cool factor, but only making 350 hp on 89. The Nortech was a bit more sporty feeling. It was also a bit faster. The Cigarette gave a better ride, and felt more planted at cruising speeds. I didn’t run either at seatrial wide open for more than a few seconds, but they both handle great from 0 to 70 plus. Cabin, advantage Nortech. Rigging, both top notch. Helm and layout, advantage Cig. Upholstery goes to Cig, but almost equal. Paintwork, equal . For me, the slightly better ride, was a big factor with why I went Cigarette.
The overall look though? Hands down Cigarette. The roof just makes it so much more sexy. Not a knock on Nortech, but I always wonder why they haven’t changed up the top to give it’s less T-top look? Cig, Statement,Sunsation, MTI, etc, all have great looking tops. Both Cig, and Nortech hold their values well. In the 38-40 ft range, both are top of the food chain. One thing I learned was they are all wind tunnels for your passengers after 50 mph. The first few months I had mine home, I was running it like my go-fasts. Once I figured out how fun it was as a social platform, and not full on sport boat, I absolutely fell in love with it.
I’m on the Cape Cod canal, and we'll put 5 couples on board, and cruise at 25-30 to dinner and drinks. Conditions permitting, blast back at 60 for a few seconds to give everyone a thrill.
Nortech or Cigarette you’ll be more than happy.
But c’mon, a Cig is a Cig...Good luck!!
Old 04-11-2020, 06:16 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by BONDO10
I had the exact same question a few years ago. I was lucky enough to look and sea trial one of each, back to back, on the same day. Scott Ryerson , from Suncoast Powerboats, had both for sale. My opinions, you can’t go wrong with either. Both are best equipped with triples, I think even more so on the Cig. No need for quads. Build quality is pretty equal, and obviously , at a high level. I was able to run each, back to back, same water, same conditions. I wasn’t looking to be the fastest, not the boats for that, but enough sporty feel to have some fun when desired. Both boats had trip 350’s, again, in my opinion, perfect power. Where I boat, 89 octane is all that’s available. 400’s, at the time, gave you the cool factor, but only making 350 hp on 89. The Nortech was a bit more sporty feeling. It was also a bit faster. The Cigarette gave a better ride, and felt more planted at cruising speeds. I didn’t run either at seatrial wide open for more than a few seconds, but they both handle great from 0 to 70 plus. Cabin, advantage Nortech. Rigging, both top notch. Helm and layout, advantage Cig. Upholstery goes to Cig, but almost equal. Paintwork, equal . For me, the slightly better ride, was a big factor with why I went Cigarette.
The overall look though? Hands down Cigarette. The roof just makes it so much more sexy. Not a knock on Nortech, but I always wonder why they haven’t changed up the top to give it’s less T-top look? Cig, Statement,Sunsation, MTI, etc, all have great looking tops. Both Cig, and Nortech hold their values well. In the 38-40 ft range, both are top of the food chain. One thing I learned was they are all wind tunnels for your passengers after 50 mph. The first few months I had mine home, I was running it like my go-fasts. Once I figured out how fun it was as a social platform, and not full on sport boat, I absolutely fell in love with it.
I’m on the Cape Cod canal, and we'll put 5 couples on board, and cruise at 25-30 to dinner and drinks. Conditions permitting, blast back at 60 for a few seconds to give everyone a thrill.
Nortech or Cigarette you’ll be more than happy.
But c’mon, a Cig is a Cig...Good luck!!

Thank you very much for the detailed review!
Old 04-11-2020, 06:17 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by B38
Your first choice Oso classified cig. New 400s with 6 hours.
nice vessel with joy stick. My 2 cents
reached out to the seller and he didn’t answer any of my questions other then it was for sale. Anyone know if he’s a member here?
Old 04-11-2020, 06:54 AM
Registered

Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts

Can’t speak for the Cigarette but I’ve spent lots of time on Nortechs. One thing I would definitely want on the Nortech would be the 2nd row bolsters, side entrance door and the extended top.
Old 04-11-2020, 12:16 PM
Registered

Received 50 Likes on 26 Posts

Both are very sexy boats. I sea trialed quite a few boats, but the Nor-tech by a long shot. I am personally not a fan of radar-style helms that start on the gunnels. It doesn't look bad on the Cig or the MTI or the Midnight but, its just not for me. I like the versatility of fishing my very pretty boat and can walk around with rods whenever. Plus the Tubing doesn't obstruct my views, the sun, boarding, or simply just the eliminate openness of the boat. The performance on the Nor-tech is on par with a GT3/720s, completely agree with a triple outboard set-up instead of quads. It's obviously your money and they will build what you pay for but, time and time again my dealer and all the guys who drive these boats daily recommend against the quad set up. I'm very happy with my triples. I've had it for several months now and, have been in about 3-5' seas, and have not been sprayed once, the hull design is superb. Interior is very classy, as is the Cig however, I personally am not a fan of the big cigarette "1" logo's. The build quality and rigging is just seamless. I've been on plenty of high volume production boats like Boston Whaler, Grady's etc, and its quite a jump in finishing quality to the Nor-tech. I live in the panhandle where fishing is a big deal. The sexy center consoles up here are 39+ yellowfin/freeman/invincible cats etc. Theres VERY few Nor-techs up here, and have not seen a cigarette but I will tell you, whether in So-florida or up here, not one outing goes by where people are not amazed at the beauty of it.

Old 04-11-2020, 12:47 PM
Registered

Some

interior shots. plenty of room, no shortage of carbon fiber either 😎
Old 04-11-2020, 01:32 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by GatorMD
Both are very sexy boats. I sea trialed quite a few boats, but the Nor-tech by a long shot. I am personally not a fan of radar-style helms that start on the gunnels. It doesn't look bad on the Cig or the MTI or the Midnight but, its just not for me. I like the versatility of fishing my very pretty boat and can walk around with rods whenever. Plus the Tubing doesn't obstruct my views, the sun, boarding, or simply just the eliminate openness of the boat. The performance on the Nor-tech is on par with a GT3/720s, completely agree with a triple outboard set-up instead of quads. It's obviously your money and they will build what you pay for but, time and time again my dealer and all the guys who drive these boats daily recommend against the quad set up. I'm very happy with my triples. I've had it for several months now and, have been in about 3-5' seas, and have not been sprayed once, the hull design is superb. Interior is very classy, as is the Cig however, I personally am not a fan of the big cigarette "1" logo's. The build quality and rigging is just seamless. I've been on plenty of high volume production boats like Boston Whaler, Grady's etc, and its quite a jump in finishing quality to the Nor-tech. I live in the panhandle where fishing is a big deal. The sexy center consoles up here are 39+ yellowfin/freeman/invincible cats etc. Theres VERY few Nor-techs up here, and have not seen a cigarette but I will tell you, whether in So-florida or up here, not one outing goes by where people are not amazed at the beauty of it.

Awesome NorTech. Do you prefer the Merc racing throttles?
Old 04-11-2020, 01:35 PM
Registered

100%. Nortech will only build you the 450R’s with them. They sit lower and you have much more control. I had never used them until my boat, so I was a little skeptical but, they are great. The boat has so much torque, I’m glad I have them instead of the standards.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.