Notices

How common

Old 04-12-2020, 08:52 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How common

How common is it to be able to run over 60mph in real offshore conditions? (3-5 in the Atlantic)
Specifically, in a 30ft boat.
Deciding on power now and the jump in $ between topping out at 70 vs 90 is substantial.
So is it worth it?
Old 04-12-2020, 09:27 PM
Registered

Received 4,248 Likes on 1,224 Posts

Not common at all. Especially in a 30 '
Old 04-12-2020, 09:57 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,811 Likes on 901 Posts

Over 60mph in a 30 footer in REAL 3-5's...........Good Luck.

Going from a 70mph to a 90mph top speed will take an additional 400+hp per engine.
Old 04-12-2020, 10:54 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Griff
Over 60mph in a 30 footer in REAL 3-5's...........Good Luck.

Going from a 70mph to a 90mph top speed will take an additional 400+hp per engine.
Youre right it will (200-300hp), the hp isn’t the concern but the strain on the outdrive is where the $ is.
So I’m really trying to find out if you boys think it’s worth dropping the extra coin to able to do 90 instead of 70?
Im getting the idea that you couldn’t really go that fast anyway.

Last edited by Romeomikehotel; 04-12-2020 at 11:00 PM.
Old 04-13-2020, 05:03 AM
Registered

Received 234 Likes on 81 Posts

You're far better off putting the coin towards a bigger boat that can handle the water at 70.
Old 04-13-2020, 07:01 AM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Phil will chime in on this. He lives in Merritt Island and runs the ocean often with a 32 fountain. Real 3-5s 60 is about the max you’ll be able to run depending on boat. You will have plenty of airtime. This also depends on if it’s a short period wind driven sea or a long drawn out swell.
Old 04-13-2020, 07:02 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I would try running those speeds in 3 to 5 ' before setting that kind of a goal. You may not want to after the beating. Sounds great, but the experience might not be so fun.
Anyone along for the ride would have to be experienced in those conditions or they won't be happy. If you are serious, best to be looking at the biggest and baddest wave crushers. 30' probably won't be fun in 3 to 5s.
Old 04-13-2020, 07:25 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Real 3-5's = OSO 4-8's LOL. Not fun plus you'll beat the $h!t out of your equipment and break stuff. You have to make the choice of boating or fixing stuff on the dock. You'll be spending plenty of time in the air so you'll have to factor in drive repairs unless you're Bobby Saccenti on the throttles. I'd do it in my 33 PP but it's still a ride. And those 5' wave will have some nice holes on the back side, you can't rule out the occasional larger wave too.
Old 04-13-2020, 09:13 AM
Registered

Received 1,317 Likes on 735 Posts

Phil here with the 32 fever Mike talked about. Short answer you won't need more power, the waves will set your speed. If you really want to run that speed in real 3-5's you need a bigger boat.

My experience, if the buoys are saying 3-5's No F###ing Way. I will go out in 2-3's and that means you will have the 5 foot hole here and there. I know people will say the 32 is really only a 27 blag ,,,,blah,,,, blah,,,, whatever.

In real 2-3 I will run 60-65 and that is work, arm tiring work. I normally go out the inlet in Cape Canaveral and run down to Sebastien, this is the thing. That is a 42 mile run and there are NO other cuts in, so you better be committed because there is no coming in if its more than you can handle. At 60-65 most people plain do NOT want to run like I do.

Last time I went with other people I had my boat, a 36 eliminator cat (1100 HP motors), another fountain (35 EX 525's), a old 35 Cafe racer (540 650HP)and a 32 Sunsation.

The only boat that was running with me and the wife was the Cat, and he didn't want to go any faster. When we got about 15 miles out from the inlet we started to get the TRUE 3-5's with bigger holes. It was at the point I know longer was going straight, I was driving and trying to miss the bigger holes. Really not fun for most, I would not want to be doing that for 40 plus miles unless it was a race.

We stopped at one point because we could no longer see the other boats,,,,, than went on to the inlet. When we got inside and to our stop lets just say they were NOT happy. I have not been able to get anyone to go out with us again.

The couple in the Sunny were beat and had bruises. My buddy in the 35 EX was yelling at me, the guy in the cafe was ok but hasn't been out in that water since. (he will again though).

This was at the Joey Gratton run 2 years ago, 2-4 I would say. A the dock guys were of course calling them 5-7 (No Way).

That day there was only one V hull I did not catch and pass, (33/35 Fountain), not something most want to do. I think that is why people have went to the Big CC's, they really don't run hard.

Photo credit Pete Bolden.

Old 04-13-2020, 09:58 AM
Registered

Received 566 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
Phil here with the 32 fever Mike talked about. Short answer you won't need more power, the waves will set your speed. If you really want to run that speed in real 3-5's you need a bigger boat.

My experience, if the buoys are saying 3-5's No F###ing Way. I will go out in 2-3's and that means you will have the 5 foot hole here and there. I know people will say the 32 is really only a 27 blag ,,,,blah,,,, blah,,,, whatever.

In real 2-3 I will run 60-65 and that is work, arm tiring work. I normally go out the inlet in Cape Canaveral and run down to Sebastien, this is the thing. That is a 42 mile run and there are NO other cuts in, so you better be committed because there is no coming in if its more than you can handle. At 60-65 most people plain do NOT want to run like I do.

Last time I went with other people I had my boat, a 36 eliminator cat (1100 HP motors), another fountain (35 EX 525's), a old 35 Cafe racer (540 650HP)and a 32 Sunsation.

The only boat that was running with me and the wife was the Cat, and he didn't want to go any faster. When we got about 15 miles out from the inlet we started to get the TRUE 3-5's with bigger holes. It was at the point I know longer was going straight, I was driving and trying to miss the bigger holes. Really not fun for most, I would not want to be doing that for 40 plus miles unless it was a race.

We stopped at one point because we could no longer see the other boats,,,,, than went on to the inlet. When we got inside and to our stop lets just say they were NOT happy. I have not been able to get anyone to go out with us again.

The couple in the Sunny were beat and had bruises. My buddy in the 35 EX was yelling at me, the guy in the cafe was ok but hasn't been out in that water since. (he will again though).

This was at the Joey Gratton run 2 years ago, 2-4 I would say. A the dock guys were of course calling them 5-7 (No Way).

That day there was only one V hull I did not catch and pass, (33/35 Fountain), not something most want to do. I think that is why people have went to the Big CC's, they really don't run hard.

Photo credit Pete Bolden.

In running my CC (35’ w integrated bracket and a pad) I’ve learned that you’ll want all the boat you can get if you plan on running fast in the ocean and especially the Gulf Stream.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.