Notices

What Do I Need?

Old 05-11-2020, 02:01 PM
Registered

Received 286 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by 36Tango
If it has surge brakes, I would make certain that it is properly lubricated so that it slides back and forth as it should. Hitting your brakes on the highway may be enough to engage your surge brakes, but sometimes a slow acceleration is not enough to release them if they are sticky at all. A dragging brake will heat up the drum/disc, spindle,bearing, and grease causing the grease to escape and then bearing failure. Has happened a couple of times to me.
^^^^ Good advice. I always goose the accelerator a little after hitting brakes (or even downshifting) just to make sure the coupler is fully extended so the brakes don't drag.
I'd pack everything mentioned prev and add a set of triangle safety reflectors (or flares) and maybe a reflective vest in case you break down on the side of the road at night.
The following users liked this post:
Gimme Fuel (05-12-2020)
Old 05-11-2020, 02:13 PM
Registered

Received 177 Likes on 114 Posts

I would also add
1) Tubeless Tire Patch Kit
2) Quality Mini Air Compressor, I also made a long battery cable extender so it will reach from either rear trailer tire to truck power port.
3) Lots of beverages and Ice
Old 05-11-2020, 02:38 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts

I picked up another box of DEF and a fuse kit, when I fist picked up the trailer and put it on the rental truck, it blew two fuses.
Old 05-11-2020, 03:30 PM
Registered

Received 160 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by wananewboat
I've only used the trailer three times, but it's a new Myco triple axle with one spare. I should of got the second spare instead of the ladder, I don't seem to use it much.

I appreciate the information, I'm bringing all my drinks, snacks and a pillow.
Why cant you have 2 spares and a ladder? We have a ladder and 2 spares on all 5 Mycos. On my cabin cruiser, I even have 2 large tool boxes.
Old 05-11-2020, 03:31 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bring a Saint Christopher medal.
Old 05-11-2020, 03:45 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by PremierPOWER
Why cant you have 2 spares and a ladder? We have a ladder and 2 spares on all 5 Mycos. On my cabin cruiser, I even have 2 large tool boxes.
I just haven't used the ladder, I'm always loading from the back of my boat to keep the deck clean. I think I'll have them add another spare in the fall when I bring the boat back down, yours looks good.
Old 05-16-2020, 01:15 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

I made it back from Hialeah and it was a long trip, 3100 miles in three days. Unfortunately when my truck was parked at Renegade a guy backed into my truck, luckily it didn't damage my hitch. I couldn't yell at him because I don't speak Spanish.
I give anyone that tows a wide load like a cruiser or a cat a lot of credit, some of the roads got really narrow and it would of been difficult towing something with a wider beam. I learned one thing, truckers don't give a damn about anyone on the road, just get out of their way.

Old 05-16-2020, 03:07 PM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 105 Posts

Here’s what is in my bag from a thread I had on here a year or so ago.

-Cordless impact, batteries, and charger
-Home Depot wheel lug nut socket set with all the different sizes
-tire plug kit with a bunch of extra plugs
-harbor freight thin work gloves (a few pairs)
-harbor freight plier and dyke set for pulling stuff out of a tire
-lights. Light that goes on my head, couple that go on the ground, etc.
-12v air compressor
-bottle jack
-misc pieces of wood
-Jigga clean waterless hand cleaner
-temp gun
-road hazard triangles
-road hazard led puck lights
-zip ties
-light adaptors
-test light
-harbor freight electrical repair kit
-hammer
-pry bars
-class V adaptor for hitch
-cash for toll roads

things I need to add before any trips include;
-complete hub
-leaf spring
-winch strap
-second spare
-cashbar had a great idea on building some little stair steps out of 2x6” to use to drive wheels up on to get other ones off the ground instead of a jack, or someone else said find a curb.

I probably have about $400 into everything so far, which when you figure in what roadside assistance costs isn’t too crazy. I usually tow at night which is great because there are fewer cops, less traffic, and lower temperatures. Sitting on the side of the road helpless one time will make you never want to do it again. Plus at night no where is open. Also just how my life is, I would have some stupid $50 part be what keeps me stuck in some podunk town losing out on an event or three days of work for something stupid.

Someone earlier said to double double check work after it’s done, so true. We took my dads 21’ sea ray to Cumberland poker run a few years back, lifelines and all right after the trailer bearings were re done. He usually leaves it in a dock so we don’t trailer it much but when we took it out at Cumberland we must have put it on the trailer different because it had never towed so good. Stopped to get gas at the marathon right before getting on 77, I could smell something was hot. Nuked a new set of bearings. Found a shop we could drop it off at (on a Sunday in the Bible Belt) that was sketchy. As we were backing the boat in I told him to take a picture of the whole thing in case it disappeared. The next Friday it was done, 5 hours there and 5 hours back. Great waste of 10 hours.
The following users liked this post:
Indy (05-16-2020)