Notices

Chris Craft Stinger 222

Old 11-09-2002, 10:19 PM
RaymondAAndrade

Question Chris Craft Stinger 222

Hey guys, it's time again. Last time I posted I was asking about a '86 Chris Craft Stinger 26 footer w/twin 350's, the feedback was greatly appreciated, and I used your advice to hold off on the purchase of that one. Now you may think I'm a glutton for punishment but, here it is. I am looking at the purchase of a '86 Chris Craft Stinger 222 w/single 454, Alpha-one (with heavy duty gears?), and thru-hull exhaust. She has a center helm, with three seats across (with fold-up bolsters), forward and down on the port side, a cuddy with v-berth and two facing seats. Aft and over the back of the gunell to gunell three seats is the padded motor cover which has two pull-outs on each side of the motor compartment, that when removed offer two individual seats, (Is anybody following this?) The upholstery is original and suprisingly clean. Is anyone familiar with this model? Was it a production boat? What kind of speed and handling could I expect? Do they put H.D. gears in Alpha's? Are there any precautions I should consider? Thank you for your help in advance. Ray

Old 11-09-2002, 10:28 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good friends of mine had one for a couple of years. Red hull, black fairing. Ran out well with the 350/Alpha they had. BUT, those back seats are NO PLACE to ride if the water is at all rough. Trust me, been there, done that, got the bruises to prove it. It is a good hull, but I just have a big problem with big blocks in front of Alpha drives. Even if it has "heavy duty gears" in it, you will torch it at some point. My boat had an alpha when I bought it, one season, two blown drives, bought a used Bravo.
Old 11-09-2002, 11:03 PM
RaymondAAndrade

Waterfoul, Thanks for your input, this is an interesting old boat, your friends had the center helm? Did you get it behind the wheel? and if you did, did it handle like a run-a-bout or more like a short off-shore? Ray

Old 11-09-2002, 11:05 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Yup. Center steering and yes I did take the wheel a time or two. I'd say a small offshore.....call it a sport boat I guess. Not a runabout by anymeans.
Old 11-10-2002, 08:57 AM
Registered

Received 84 Likes on 20 Posts

Didnt that guy who started that "other" site have one and he put like 6 or 700hp in front of it and it was totally undriveable and he ended up putting the stock 330 back in and selling it??? just a thought, if you were planning on a big build up..........Doug
Old 11-10-2002, 09:15 AM
surfacetension

Ray , Thats a cool set up We looked at that when we were buying our boat 22 was a little tight for us and the three across seating was not made for hanging out. We bought a 1988 Chris Craft 245 limited with a 7.4 and a bravo Tons of room great ride. It,s for sale if you know someone

Old 11-10-2002, 09:23 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally posted by twinn29
Didnt that guy who started that "other" site have one and he put like 6 or 700hp in front of it and it was totally undriveable and he ended up putting the stock 330 back in and selling it??? just a thought, if you were planning on a big build up..........Doug
AFAIK he still has the big motor in it. It is for sale with a stock 330 however. According to the owner it is eminently drivable until you get into the lower 80s then the chine walk becomes too much to handle.
Old 11-10-2002, 11:02 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ray, How much work is involved to replace the alpha with a bravo? Sos marine has put some big power in front of alpha drives with good success but the boats were light hulls. Let's go look at this boat and after the purchase I'll tow it home for you! From the e-mailed pictures it looks great. Doug
Old 11-10-2002, 11:34 AM
RaymondAAndrade

Again, Thanks for your come backs. There has to be one of these still making it out on to the water, don't you think? Please keep the info commin. Ray

Old 11-10-2002, 12:06 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Alpha to Bravo swaps is really quite easy. All you really need to do is drill two extra holes for mounting bolts. X-dimensions are the same believe it or not. You will also need to add the block mounted raw water pump (the alpha has the water pump in the lower unit, the Bravo does not). So you need the pump, belt, and bracket. You may also need a different crank pully if it does not have the slot for the water pump. With a used Bravo assembly, I did the whole thing for just under $2000 installed (this was 7 years ago, I did not do it myself, though now I could as I have learned a lot since then).

Quick Reply: Chris Craft Stinger 222

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.