What Really Killed Evinrude

Notices

What Really Killed Evinrude

Old 05-31-2020, 09:40 AM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,666 Likes on 1,195 Posts
Default What Really Killed Evinrude

Harsh reality created by much more than COVID-19, https://www.speedonthewater.com/what...lled-evinrude/.
The following 2 users liked this post by Matt Trulio:
Padraig (05-31-2020), rak rua (05-31-2020)
Old 05-31-2020, 10:09 AM
Registered

Received 361 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Trulio
Harsh reality created by much more than COVID-19, https://www.speedonthewater.com/what...lled-evinrude/.
thanks for the write up on this one Matt.
Old 05-31-2020, 10:36 AM
Registered

Received 312 Likes on 121 Posts

Matt, Good article.

Puts things into perspective. Riding on ones laurels will eventually take one out.

I remember reading an article that compared the Corporate 500 of the 1950's to the Corporate 500's of the 2000's. From what I can recall, it was basically only 12% of the companies that were still on the list in their original form. The rest were gone....

Found it: https://www.aei.org/carpe-diem/fortu...e-destruction/
Old 05-31-2020, 07:03 PM
Registered

Received 729 Likes on 326 Posts

Still running, 1988 Evinrude 90 hp 2-smoke.
Old 05-31-2020, 08:51 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I dont really agree. I think there were a cmobination of things. The smaller dealer network. Also the fall out from fitch. How brb handled the dealers when it took over.

I think a big part was that many people said NO to 2 strokes without giving the g2 a fair evaluation. The premise being that 2 strokes cant be clean. Also that adding oil was more troublesome than oil changes or regular oil dipstick checks. Never heard of a 2 stroke "making oil".

In many ways a 2 stroke is better suited to marine use. Dependibility and cost to operate should be major considerations. The g2 met those criteria. It lacked the dealer network. The perception that 4 strokes are cleaner was another problem although the g2 is cleaner and doesnt need a cat for emissions.

Hopefully soon i can move to an area where owning makes more sense than us currently renting on vacation. A perfect boat for us is a manitou with a g2 for LOTO.
Old 05-31-2020, 09:05 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 364 Likes on 243 Posts

Well written... plain and simple! Sad for sure...
Old 05-31-2020, 09:16 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,118 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by justfishing
I dont really agree. I think there were a cmobination of things. The smaller dealer network. Also the fall out from fitch. How brb handled the dealers when it took over.

I think a big part was that many people said NO to 2 strokes without giving the g2 a fair evaluation. The premise being that 2 strokes cant be clean. Also that adding oil was more troublesome than oil changes or regular oil dipstick checks. Never heard of a 2 stroke "making oil".

In many ways a 2 stroke is better suited to marine use. Dependibility and cost to operate should be major considerations. The g2 met those criteria. It lacked the dealer network. The perception that 4 strokes are cleaner was another problem although the g2 is cleaner and doesnt need a cat for emissions.

Hopefully soon i can move to an area where owning makes more sense than us currently renting on vacation. A perfect boat for us is a manitou with a g2 for LOTO.
Sorry, I'm gonna side with Matt and his article.
I will say first, I've never read anything bad about the E-tec line or the G2, they sound like great engines. However, times have changed, four strokes have taken over, for better or for worse. Evinrude did not adapt to the changing market and the market voted with their cheque book.

Disappointing after inventing the practical outboard motor in the first place but when you stop growing to suit your market the best you can hope for is to stand still.

My 2 cents.
RR
Old 05-31-2020, 10:29 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=rak rua;4741548]Sorry, I'm gonna side with Matt and his article.
I will say first, I've never read anything bad about the E-tec line or the G2, they sound like great engines. However, times have changed, four strokes have taken over, for better or for worse. Evinrude did not adapt to the changing market and the market voted with their cheque book.

Disappointing after inventing the practical outboard motor in the first place but when you stop growing to suit your market the best you can hope for is to stand still.

My 2 cents.
/QUOTE]
How do you say Evinrude did not adapt. What is adaapting,?performance reliability, low emissions.
The g2 had class leading torque which translates to better performance at low to mid rpms. Is it fuel economy as the g2 was a leader. Was it emiisions. Two strokes are better at low nox emissions.

I dont see anywhere the g2 takes a back seat to a four stroke. Yamaha, suzuki and honda are forgein companys. US sales are a smaller part of their operations. In fact they can survive without US outboard sales.

Old 05-31-2020, 11:07 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,118 Likes on 469 Posts

[QUOTE=justfishing;4741551]
Originally Posted by rak rua
Sorry, I'm gonna side with Matt and his article.

My 2 cents.
/QUOTE]
How do you say Evinrude did not adapt. What is adaapting,?performance reliability, low emissions.
The g2 had class leading torque which translates to better performance at low to mid rpms. Is it fuel economy as the g2 was a leader. Was it emiisions. Two strokes are better at low nox emissions.

I dont see anywhere the g2 takes a back seat to a four stroke. Yamaha, suzuki and honda are forgein companys. US sales are a smaller part of their operations. In fact they can survive without US outboard sales.
Maybe careless wording on my part but I'm not saying anything negative about the quality of their product, I believe their offerings were top shelf. My comments refer to their not adapting to the market. Look at sales figures and clearly, the market wants four strokes. If you can competitively supply what the buyers are buying, you will be well positioned for success.

From a business perspective, it sounds like Kiekhaefer has been proven correct.

Hope that clarifies my previous post. 🙂

RR
Old 06-01-2020, 06:31 AM
Registered

Received 457 Likes on 243 Posts

Wait ! What ! Four stroke outboards have cadilac convertors ?

i thought everyone was going to outboard because sterndrive/ inboard had to have convertors on them now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.