Notices

Bimini Top

Old 06-19-2020, 12:22 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bimini Top

I'm looking to put a Bimini Top on my boat. I heard that if it is too high it may bend when cruising. What are the heights that guys have, that can run with it up? It's not cheap so I want to get it right. Thanks
Old 06-19-2020, 07:54 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 165 Likes on 87 Posts

I did a stainless framed bimini on my Donzi 27. I had it made with just over 6' headroom and it moved from side to side over 50mph and then bent itself all outa shape! Had it re-modeled back to about 5'8" headroom and it was fine up to mid 60's, WOT. Sorry, I can't tell you exactly how high above the gunnels/mounting points it was, I only remember the overall headroom. It was mounted to the outside of the screen so it was quite wide on an 8'4" beam boat.

The lower headroom was fine when seated, standing up, if I was leaning back in the bolster with my feet forward it was ok but I'm over 6' so standing straight up wasn't quite as good. However, I enjoyed the shade.

All my fittings were quick release and through bolted with large washers underneath. No cables or webbed tie downs, all solid stainless.

Last edited by rak rua; 06-19-2020 at 07:57 PM.
Old 06-20-2020, 08:38 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

agreed, make it comfortable for you to stand up ok, no more. i don't think any bimini will be bullet proof in terms of max speed..; i always have mine on cruising 40-50. when i know i will go faster, i don't take chances and put it down...
Old 06-20-2020, 03:29 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Wharf Rat 1 View Post
I'm looking to put a Bimini Top on my boat. I heard that if it is too high it may bend when cruising. What are the heights that guys have, that can run with it up? It's not cheap so I want to get it right. Thanks
Im not sure the height matters as much as the design and construction. A properly built stainless steel Bimini will rip out of the boat before the frame bends (ask how I know). A couple of the west coast companies in SoCal and Havasu build “high speed” biminis good for 100mph.

If you want to drive with it up, a lot of people put a mesh strip down the middle (could be an accent color too) which helps it from not becoming a parachute.

Some have also adjusted the straps so the front sits lower on a slight angle, again keeps it from catching so much air.