Notices

Optimus360 system

Old 06-28-2020, 08:46 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Optimus360 system

Hi folks:
I recently transitioned to a multi-engine outboard configuration. I have learned that a standard Mercury Verado steering system cannot be uplifted to include the Mercury joystick piloting feature. I have been studying the Optimus360 system as an alternative. I am asking for accurate feedback from anyone that has uplifted their boat to include the Optimus360 system. This will be an expensive investment, so I want to learn all I can before I pull the trigger on the purchase/installation. I am open to reading your evaluations......
The following users liked this post:
noli (06-29-2020)
Old 06-29-2020, 05:45 AM
Registered

Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts

What would you like to know? We have installed quite a few Optimus systems.
Old 06-29-2020, 08:01 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

From the installers view point, do installs go fairly smoothly with all the various components provided by Optimus? Any problems obtaining the kits from the manufacturer?

From the operators viewpoint, thoughts on reliability and simplicity of operation? Thanks...
Old 06-29-2020, 02:38 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

I have it on my 36 Yellowfin, but the only feature I really use is the virtual anchor. It is easy to use and I have grown to like it when fishing wrecks or around bridges because it will hold the boat in place so that I can fish or help the kids fish. Other than that, mine just exists. It does work as advertised and it will spin the boat, make it crab walk or move it in any direction you choose. I am stuck in my ways though and continue to use the steering wheel and throttles for docking and maneuvering just because that is what I am use to and it takes me a while to trust and use new things.
Old 06-30-2020, 06:07 AM
Registered

Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Barrydet
From the installers view point, do installs go fairly smoothly with all the various components provided by Optimus? Any problems obtaining the kits from the manufacturer?

From the operators viewpoint, thoughts on reliability and simplicity of operation? Thanks...
From my standpoint as an installer: I actually read a manufacturer’s installation instructions, so Optimus installations always go smooth for me. I can’t say the same for others as I’ve fixed many installation screw-ups by both boat builders and other Optimus dealers. Before the Chinese flu, it typically takes about 3-4 weeks to get an entire kit once it’s ordered. We haven’t ordered any kits since, so I’m not sure what effect it has had on availability and shipping.

It definitely works as advertised, assuming the installer uploaded a good vessel profile or actually spent the time to commission the system if no profile is available. Every operator has a different opinion. I think it’s simple and has proven itself to be very reliable. There’s some redundancy built into the system that will allow you to get home if steering is lost for whatever reason. We provide service for several charter boats in Venice, LA that log well over 1500 hours per year and a few of them have been running their boats with an Optimus system for 3+ years. We also have plenty of recreational vessels with over 1000 hours and no problems.

Last edited by davidwademarine; 06-30-2020 at 06:46 AM.