Notices

New boat time!

Old 06-30-2020, 05:38 AM
Registered

Received 104 Likes on 59 Posts
Default New boat time!

Ok, ive been a member here since the begining. I'm on here pretty much everyday. As entertainment and to learn. My latest boat was a 2017 Pioneer center console to get me back into boating. It fit in my garage so was convenient. But have decided I miss having a bigger performance type boat. So I sold the Pioneer and am looking for a new boat. The boat I had before was a 1998 Powerquest Legend XL. We loved that boat. I plan on drystorage as im getting older and it will be much more convient. I boat on the intracoastal in Myrtle Beach and head to the beach. Lots of 5mph zones and gets really rough on weekends with boat traffic. I want to spend 20-30k max. I know that will be a 20 or so year old boat. I will travel for the right boat. Since I will be doing dry storage I don't have to have a trailer, but then have to figure out a way to get it home. How much is average transport? Ok, heres my shopping list, 260 or 280 Powerquest. 260 Sonic Prowler. 25 Active Thunder, 280 Velosity. Or anything else similar. First priority is ride comfort, then plaining speed. I dont need crazy top speed. I also would like stock power, not messed with. Hp 500 efi would be a bonus. Just wonder about top end work to be done or how to tell if it was done. Ok, enough for now. Feel free to read and respond with suggestions or leads to boats. Thanks guys!

Last edited by Gary C; 07-01-2020 at 05:57 AM. Reason: Spelling
The following users liked this post:
larslindroth (06-30-2020)
Old 06-30-2020, 05:45 AM
Registered

Received 362 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary C
Ok, ive been a member here since the beginng. I'm on here pretty much everyday. As entertainment and to learn. My latest boat was a 2017 Pioneer center console to get me back into boating. It fit in my garage so was convenient. But have decided I miss having a bigger performance type boat. So I sold the Pioneer and am looking for a new boat. The boat I had before was a 1998 Powerquest Legend XL. We loved that boat. I plan on drystorage as im getting older and it will be much more convient. I boat on the intracoastal in Myrtle Beach and head to the beach. Lots of 5mph zones and gets really rough on weekends with boat traffic. I want to spend 20-30k max. I know that will be a 20 or so year old boat. I will travel for the right boat. Since I will be doing dry storage I don't have to have a trailer, but then have to figure out a way to get it home. How much is average transport? Ok, heres my shopping list, 260 or 280 Powerquest. 260 Sonic Prowler. 25 Active Thunder, 280 Velosity. Or anything else similar. First priority is ride comfort, then planning speed. I dont need crazy top speed. I also would like stock power, not messed with. Hp 500 efi would be a bonus. Just wonder about top end work to be done or how to tell if it was done. Ok, enough for now. Feel free to read and respond with suggestions or leads to boats. Thanks guys!
Sounds like you got a good plan pulled together! Good luck on your search! I would try the classifieds here, boattrader, and FB powerboat swap shop..
Old 06-30-2020, 06:04 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 851 Likes on 312 Posts

Nice to see you get back into it! I'm fighting to get back in now that we've completed our house remodel goals but COVID is not playing nice with my business so it's going to be a while.

You knew Sean and Wes right?

Last edited by Indy; 06-30-2020 at 08:21 AM.
Old 06-30-2020, 07:57 AM
Registered

Received 315 Likes on 172 Posts

If you are thinking Velocity, give Kenny at Let's Talk Boats a shout out.

Padraig
Ryan00TJ (06-30-2020)
Old 06-30-2020, 08:35 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a 1995 25' AT Tantrum that I am planning on selling. 2-owner freshwater boat. 502/500

Would be in the middle of your price range. Most bang for the buck of any boat i've ever owned

On trailer, located in Montreal, can deliver across the border so no paperwork hassle to you, titles in hand.

Excess
The following 2 users liked this post by Excess:
Knot 4 Me (06-30-2020), rak rua (06-30-2020)
Old 06-30-2020, 05:50 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Indy
Nice to see you get back into it! I'm fighting to get back in now that we've completed our house remodel goals but COVID is not playing nice with my business so it's going to be a while.

You knew Sean and Wes right?
yes indy I did know Sean and Wes. We've been living down here for 14 years now.
Old 06-30-2020, 06:00 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Excess
I have a 1995 25' AT Tantrum that I am planning on selling. 2-owner freshwater boat. 502/500

Would be in the middle of your price range. Most bang for the buck of any boat i've ever owned

On trailer, located in Montreal, can deliver across the border so no paperwork hassle to you, titles in hand.

Excess
hi excess can you send me pictures and specs to my email? [email protected]
Thanks!
Old 07-01-2020, 12:35 AM
Registered

Received 630 Likes on 292 Posts
Default Bristol condition Checkmate 253 by well-known OSO member.

Gary, you gotta check out the boat of signature Twin O/B Sonic here on OSO. His name is also Gary, and he just posted his immaculate 1995 Checkmate 253 Convincor for sale on the Screamandfly forum. The boat has many very practical, pricey, recent upgrades done to it. A 2017 high quality trailer to top it off. The mid to late '90s Checkmate boats were of very high quality. The 253 model has a full 25' straight V 24 degree hull and with an 8'3" beam is very roomy, like your Powerquest was, but a much better handling design at both lower and higher speeds. Since you might not need a trailer for your next boat, well then selling the 2017 trailer once at home would easily put a quick $10k back in your pocket. Gary is an extremely knowledgeable boater and he cherry picked this 253 for his temporary needs while finishing the resto of his high performance, twin outboard, Checkmate Convincor. Best of luck in the search for your next vessel.
https://www.screamandfly.com/showthread.php?351595-25%92-Checkmate-Convincor-IO

Last edited by larslindroth; 07-01-2020 at 12:42 AM.
rak rua (07-01-2020)
Old 07-06-2020, 04:41 PM
Registered

Still looking. Checked out a 2002 280 Powerquest in fla. Liked the boat just wasn't taken care of. I'm not afraid of salt water boats, they just need to be taken care of. Plus this boat had the 496 mag ho and the coolant reservoir was empty. It was full of mold on the interior. The stereo didnt work, the trim gauge didn't work. It had clamps on water hoses that were corroded and broke. Rust line dripping from the exhaust tips. I drove 9 hrs to look at this boat. Disappointment doesn't begin to tell the story. My point is if you know someone us coming to look at your boat from a good distance. Have it ready to show! I know im buying a used 20 plus year old boat but wtf! Ok done venting. Still looking. Active Thunders are hard to find in my price range. What years did Pat start building them in Fla. with no wood? I also would like stock power un molested. Or refreshed with paperwork. Also alot of boats I find online have been there for years. I get no response or its sold years ago. Whats up with that? I'm getting frustrated. But im not giving up. That Checkmate is nice, but I don't need the big buck trailer and camper canvas.
The following 2 users liked this post by Gary C:
larslindroth (07-06-2020), Ratty206ls (07-06-2020)
Old 07-06-2020, 05:50 PM
Registered

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

That checkmate is a great looking boat for the $$$
CT River Baja (07-19-2020)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.