Travel into Canadian waters >

Travel into Canadian waters

Notices

Travel into Canadian waters

Old 07-06-2020, 06:38 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Travel into Canadian waters

I am being told that due to the COVID-19 issue Canada is not allowing US boaters to enter Canadian waters? I know we can't anchor or land anywhere but are we not allowed over the border period? Anyone that's got info would be appreciated
Old 07-06-2020, 08:53 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are not allowed over the border.period. I know a fisherman who was over the line in Lake Erie. The Canadians didn't show up but the USCG reamed them on their way back. I sometimes boat in the Niagara River and the west channel is Canadian. I saw a Canadian patrol boat and they didn't bother me but i made sure i was on the US side of their boat when we passed. If you're over an invisible line and not near shore they will probably just chase you off, but i would be very careful.
Old 07-06-2020, 08:56 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I would be very careful. if you're over the line and not near shore they will probably just chase you off but don't take the chance. I know a fisherman who was over the invisible line in Lake Erie. The Canadians didn't show up, but the USCG reamed them on the way back.
Old 07-07-2020, 07:16 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

I was out a few days ago on Canadian waters on Lake St. Clair and the Detroit River. Went well into Canada to take pics of the infrastructure for the new bridge (not much there). Law enforcement all over and i had no problems but US Border Patrol did check my ID and registration while I was relaxing on Lake St. Clair. I have not seen anything to indicate that Canadian waters are off limits as long as you don't anchor or, of course, go ashore.
Old 07-07-2020, 07:26 AM
Registered

Received 65 Likes on 44 Posts

In the last 2 weeks I have entered Canadian water in Lake Huron, the St. Clair River, Lake St. Clair, the Detroit River, and Lake Erie. I encountered USCG and US CBP in the Detroit River and Lake Huron. I never stopped in Canadian water only passed through. They might hassle you if you stop, but the US Navy enforces the Freedom of Navigation principle by routinely traveling through Russian and Chinese water just to piss them off, so you should be allowed to travel through Canadian water as long as Canada is not your destination.
Old 07-07-2020, 05:57 PM
Registered

Received 1,819 Likes on 711 Posts

Legally, not allowed over their border.

But, you do not have to clear customs if you do not anchor or dock while in their water.

That was per Canadian Customs officers in their office on Pelee Island, Canadian waters of Lake Erie.

US might drill you in your return.....
Old 07-07-2020, 09:34 PM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

I am in the 1000 islands region, st Lawrence river, lake Ontario. Told we can't be over the imaginary border line at all unless it happens to fall in the st Lawrence seaway. $750 fine per person on board first offence. Have heard people have been drilled with fines all over up here.
Old 07-08-2020, 07:01 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 495 Likes on 270 Posts

That's how they plan on paying for the deficit from COVID bailout spending
Old 07-08-2020, 07:32 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

It was made very clear a few years ago that Americans can use Canadian waters even if vessel is at rest. We cannot anchor or go ashore or probably not fish. Maybe 1,000 Islands area has their own rules. I don't know. We will be zigzagging across the border today on the way to PIB.
https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-v...tions-eng.html
Old 07-08-2020, 09:44 AM
Registered

I live on the US/Canadian Border in the West Niagara River and was "pulled over" by Canadian Customs two weeks ago while drifting down the river. I was told by the Canadian officer that due to the border closures, US boats were not allowed to be in Canadian waters if they were not underway. US boats could travel through Canadian waters to get to their desired destination, but could not drift, fish, or waterski/tube in Canadian waters like you could pre-Covid.

Since then, I've seen them patrolling the West River notifying anyone who may be drifting to move out of Canadian waters, much like they did with me. However, I haven't seen them board anyone - just pull up, explain the situation and everyone goes their separate ways. Much more civil than a few years ago when it seemed like they would board every boat that crossed within an inch of the border.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.