Generator location on a Sundancer 290 >

Generator location on a Sundancer 290

Notices

Generator location on a Sundancer 290

Old 07-16-2020, 06:09 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Generator location on a Sundancer 290

My new to me 97 Sundancer 290DA 454 is supposed to have a generator. Where would it be located? In the engine bay somewhere? Also, where is the fresh water tank located? Thanks.

Old 07-16-2020, 07:36 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,124 Likes on 474 Posts

Both located in the engine bay.

I think all Sea Ray generators are in a large white metal box (sound shield). 2' long, probably on the port side. Check the outside of the hull, near the stern, there will be an exhaust outlet, close to the waterline. It's bigger than the outlets for bilge pumps and will likely have a dirty stain underneath from exhaust water. Your generator will be inside, on tne same side. (Are you sure it has a generator? Hasn't been pulled by the previous owner for some reason?)

Water tank will be in the engine bay also. Might be to one side or perhaps mounted forward of the engine. May be difficult to access because you pretty much never have to touch them, they last forever.

Keep looking, they're both in there somewhere!

RR

Last edited by rak rua; 07-17-2020 at 09:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
HawkX66 (07-16-2020)
Old 07-16-2020, 08:05 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by rak rua
Both located in the engine bay.

I think all Sea Ray generators are in a large white metal box (sound shield). 2' long, probably on the port side. Check the outside of the hull, near the stern, there will be an exhaust outlet, close to the waterline. It's bigger than the outlets for bilge pumps and will likely have a dirty stain underneath from exhaust water. Your generator will be inside, on tne same side. (Are you sure it has a generator? Hasn't been pulled by the previous owner for some reason?)

Water tank will be in the engine bay also. Might be to one side or perhaps mounted forward of the engine. May be difficult to access because you pretty much never have to touch them, they last forever.

Keep looking, they're bother in there somewhere!

RR
Thanks a lot! Good possibility a previous owner removed it. It's pretty spacious on the port side lol. Water tank is a lot smaller than I thought. 24 gal I think? It could be hiding. I'll look closer when I'm at the boat this weekend. Here's a couple shots of the port and starboard engine bay.
Here is a pic of the starboard rear side as well. The port side doesn't seem to have any exhaust exits etc

Last edited by HawkX66; 07-16-2020 at 08:18 PM.
Old 07-17-2020, 08:34 AM
Registered

Received 447 Likes on 245 Posts

well i did have a generator it was where those unhooked wires are
Old 07-17-2020, 09:30 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by boostbros
well i did have a generator it was where those unhooked wires are
I thought that's where it would go when I saw all that open real estate there.

So... Now the question is, what do I replace it with? I've seen everything from $500 portables to $15k+ water cooled diesels. I would assume I don't need anything more than 8.5kw or so right? Does it need to be water cooled if it's down in the bilge?
Old 07-17-2020, 10:09 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by HawkX66

So... Now the question is, what do I replace it with? I've seen everything from $500 portables to $15k+ water cooled diesels. I would assume I don't need anything more than 8.5kw or so right? Does it need to be water cooled if it's down in the bilge?
Just a rough guess from looking at your power panel but likely about 7Kw as long as you don't try to run every item you, might get away with less if your careful what you run. If you plan to install something close to OEM a 5Kw marine genset cost is somewhere between about $5500 to $7000. I never owned a cruiser style boat with a genset but I helped a friend with a larger Formula SS install a used genset that he got for a decent price after his died..... looking back on it he would have to be a much better friend before I ever did that again.

If you go to the Cummins/Onan web page they have a sizing tool that can help.

https://www.cummins.com/engines/mari...or-sizing-tool
HawkX66 (07-17-2020)
Old 07-17-2020, 10:38 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HawkX66

5KW will probably be more power than what you will ever use at one time. I have a 5KW in my Baja and can run the A/C, battery charger, hot plate, and microwave at the same time with no issues. That boat probably came with a 5KW Kohler.

There are several sellers on eBay that sell rebuilt/used units. Expect to pay $5-6K. Whatever you do, do not run a portable unit in the engine compartment as yes, they must be water cooled. If you do decide to go the marine genset route, take a look at how fast the engine spins to make 60hz. This will make a big difference in how loud it is. Here is a link to the model I have...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Westerbeke-...oAAOSwp-Fc0OWZ
The following 3 users liked this post by jamontes:
endeavor1 (07-17-2020), HawkX66 (07-17-2020), rak rua (07-17-2020)
Old 07-17-2020, 11:22 AM
Registered

Received 735 Likes on 330 Posts

Be careful how you use a portable generator. Exhaust fumes can migrate into the cabin.
rak rua (07-17-2020)
Old 07-17-2020, 12:04 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,124 Likes on 474 Posts

Check your factory specs sheet, I think 4kw was the normal option for that boat. No point over powering, it's simply excess the boat cannot use.

1C1_27_74DERNSXL908.pdf

RR

P.S. The Sea Ray website is the best manufacturers website ever for researching their product.
HawkX66 (07-17-2020)
Old 07-17-2020, 08:12 PM
Registered

They sure are proud of their generators aren't they?!? Wow. Thanks all for posting all that info. Very helpful. Especially thanks for downloading that spec sheet for me. I'll check out the Sea Ray site soon.
I was at the boat today and I confirmed the generator's original location. Pic below. I talked to the previous owner and he said he had the gen pulled after spending $1,500 repairing it and it died two months later. Wish he had left it in place...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.