Notices

Dry Rack Storage

Old 07-17-2020, 01:40 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Dry Rack Storage

Who does it? Who thinks itís a good idea who thinks itís a horrible idea!?!?! Letís hear the opinions. Iíve got a 89 Formula 272 Sr1 that I primarily use in Lake Michigan and would be considering skipper buds at north point marina. They offer annual dry rack storage rates. I am seriously considering as I have to store my boat in my trailer in my driveway for the past few years. Iíve been wanting to get a indoor storage unit to keep it out of the elements but none of the places have what Iím looking for. Wanted to get a slip at a marina but donít like the thought of keeping boat in the water. So I feel as this solution would be a good alternative. Spoke to the marina today and found out the answered to my questions and feel comfortable but want to see what others have done and what they think. Iím sure others done it has anyone used this particular marina before or currently use them? Thanks for the input everyone.
Old 07-17-2020, 03:07 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 58 Posts

I've done rack storage at three different places in Michigan, two downstate and one up north. My experience is it all depends on the staffs attitude. I would approach some of the owners that store at the place and ask about their experiences. ed
The following 2 users liked this post by Interceptor:
kjm5125 (07-18-2020), speicher lane (07-18-2020)
Old 07-17-2020, 06:38 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Interceptor View Post
I've done rack storage at three different places in Michigan, two downstate and one up north. My experience is it all depends on the staffs attitude. I would approach some of the owners that store at the place and ask about their experiences. ed
This has been the place that Iíve launched my boat as a non member for a few years. The staff that Iíve dealt with has been good in the past. But Iíve never been on the member side of things. I would hope that things wouldnít be different if I was on the member end.
Old 07-17-2020, 07:25 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 213 Likes on 70 Posts

Our rack was great, not sure about what you guys mean about the staff. Call 'em up, they put it in, come back, they put it back. Don't really recall interacting with any of them...maybe you're addressing the service department?
Old 07-17-2020, 07:50 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Indy View Post
Our rack was great, not sure about what you guys mean about the staff. Call 'em up, they put it in, come back, they put it back. Don't really recall interacting with any of them...maybe you're addressing the service department?
Iím not referring to anything particular. Iím more wondering the doís and dontís. I really want something that I can simply do as you say. Call and say Iím coming down have my boat ready. And yet still be away from the harsh weather elements
Old 07-17-2020, 10:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another option at Northpoint is the in and out service. I have used it the past 2 seasons at Skipper Buds and have been happy. You launch your boat with your truck, they just store it indoors on trailer. The building is open later than dry stack is by a few hours so your boating day can be longer. And it's cheaper.
Old 07-18-2020, 05:46 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts

i have fixed a lot of damage caused by rack and storage, find a place that has good lift drivers. boats with composite cores (balsa or foam) and/or steps seem to be the most vulnurable to damage. Despite that i still think its a great way to go you just have to be aware of possible issues, keep an eye on the guys running the trucks and get to know them if you can.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
The following users liked this post:
kjm5125 (07-18-2020)
Old 07-18-2020, 06:38 AM
Registered

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Well, I just made the decision to do the year round rack storage thing. This is a first for me. I have always trailered. I'm looking forward to it.
Old 07-18-2020, 07:44 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

We have used The Wharf at Grand Haven for the last three summers and the staff and facility are great. lift operators have been the same since we have been there and I learned this season when they lifted our boat of the trailer their yard manager has been there a long time. Service is great I may had had to wait 10 minutes once for our boat to hit the water, I usually call when I am about 15 minutes out and the boat is in the water when i arrive. Never had any damage to our boat, just have to make sure your drives are straight and trim tabs are all the way up.
Old 07-18-2020, 07:49 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 213 Likes on 70 Posts

If you're going to run out in the evening/night, I'd give them at least a few hours notice instead of last minute, I called late one time and they didn't get the order to the lift operator before it closed. Also if you think you're going to go for an evening run but not 100% have them plunk it in anyway, it's better than deciding to go but they are now closed and instead of running around you have to sit at home and suffer through your wife's HGTV or Say Yes to the Dress fun If you don't use it they'll just put it back in the rack the next AM or leave it in the water for the next evening's romp.
The following users liked this post:
Smoke eater (07-18-2020)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.