Notices

paint for graphics

Old 11-12-2002, 12:36 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default paint for graphics

I am prepping my 36' Cig for paint. Which is the best to use for base and graphics. I would like a paint that I can clear over. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Stephen
Old 11-12-2002, 06:39 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

i use PPG's DBC base coat with thier concept 2021 clear and have great luck. very easy to work with, good tape times and is very durable. if you are doing a large amount of graphics the high solids base coat/ clear coat systems are the only way to go. most paint manufacturers (PPG, dupont, BASF, etc.) offer very high end products and it comes down to which ever one you feel most comfortable working with. not sure there really is a "best" one these days. good luck

i did this one in concept base/clear. did all the graphics on both sides in one day and did the deck the next day than buffed the whole thing out the day after that.
Attached Thumbnails paint for graphics-cig1.jpg  
Old 11-12-2002, 09:15 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Dave, do you have any pics of the boat during the paint process. This will be the biggest boat I've ever painted. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Stephen
Old 11-12-2002, 09:26 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

PREP PREP PREP. PREP is the most important thing. Make sure you sand it all to the manufacturers spec and do a good job. Do not get lazy at the end of the sanding and rush it. To help out with this when I did my boat I started on one side and worked around. Then the next day I worked in the other direction

I have had real good luck with Glassurite (sp) Paints, these are made by BASF, on cars. The PPG is also excelent as Glassdave has said. Good luck

Jon
Old 11-12-2002, 10:35 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

just like audio said . .prep prep prep. it is most times easier to splt the paint process into top and sides seperatley. i prefer to do the sides first and deck last. although this is sometimes dependant on choice and complexity of graphics. one of the hardest things is reaching the middle of the deck with the gun, for this i have a custom gun that gives me about a 6 foot reach alowing me to paint boats oer 12 foot wide ( like those damn ocean express cats ) this is the only pic i have of the boat in paint process that i can find. feel free to call me if you would like a better explanation of tips to make it easier. my cell # is 419-461-1484 call after 9:00PM ohio time (free night an weekend cell time )
Attached Thumbnails paint for graphics-cigjob.jpg  
Old 11-12-2002, 10:46 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

heres one of the deck. all the logos and cig script on this boat are painted on under the clear. i use vinyl spray masks to make this easier. all the stripes and flags are free hand taped and tailored to the boat. if you need any spray masks contact ryan beckley on this board his buisness is kinetic animation ( i think he is in the links section) he is very good and very resonable he will have anything you need.
Attached Thumbnails paint for graphics-cigtop.jpg  
Old 11-12-2002, 12:19 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

Glassdave
what is a vinyal spray mask and do you apply a primer before the colors or go right over the gel?
Old 11-12-2002, 02:07 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

later- a spray mask is basically a sheet of vinyl that has the letters or logo cut out on it ( kind of the opposite or negative of just the letters). you apply the sheet and spray your colors than remove the sheet leaving the painted logo. saves a ton of time. before vinyl plotters i used to do this stuff by hand. as far as primer goes i only use it when there is alot of surface work. for new boats i just use a sealer like DP48 or an adheason promoter. also on new boats i still lay down a gel matched white base coat before graphics than clear. i never just clear over gel, i know it has been done im just not a big fan of it, habit i guess.
Old 11-12-2002, 06:00 PM
Charter Member#330
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice work Dave!!!
Old 11-12-2002, 06:09 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone know where I can get the spray mask for the cigarette logo ? I had the contact in Florida several years ago but lost it. I used imron and cleared over the color only. Worked like a charm and still looks like the day i sprayed it.

Quick Reply: paint for graphics

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.