Florida Noise Restrictions >

Florida Noise Restrictions

Notices

Florida Noise Restrictions

Old 09-12-2020, 07:14 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Florida Noise Restrictions

I am thinking about buying a property on a canal with gulf access in Cape Coral FL and i started to wonder if i was going to have any issues with the noise my boats make.

I have older boats with the merc performance 454's with 4" pipes out the back and no restriction. My assumption is that when in gulf waters, even at WOT i shouldn't have any problems.....maybe thats a bad assumption? What i'm more concerned about is at idle speed navigating my way through canals out to the gulf. What are the regulations i should be concerned with? .....and any idea what sort of noise my configuration is throwing?

I did find this online -

No person shall operate or give permission for the operation of any vessel on the waters of any county or on a specified portion of the waters of any county, including the Florida Intracoastal Waterway, which has adopted the provisions of this section in such a manner as to exceed the following sound levels at a distance of 50 feet from the vessel: for all vessels, a maximum sound level of 90 dB A. http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=& URL=0300-0399/0327/Sections/0327.65.html#:~:text=No%20person%20shall%20operate %20or,following%20sound%20levels%20at%20a

I read a lawn mower is about 90 db.....but i've never compared boat noise to a lawnmower :-). i also have everything bundled up right now so i can't test.

@ idle & 50ft away, i think im under 90 dB......i've never been tested. @ WOT i suspect im over that....i can hear the boat from more than a mile away. This then also brings to mind a question of jurisdiction....how far out into the gulf do i need to be for this to no longer apply.....or does it always apply in the gulf?

I know where i'm at now there are some concession for boats that are older and were built/designed this way, no clue if they are applicable in FL. I did read there are concessions for organized events like poker runs. I've seen youtube footage of some nice sounding boats coming out of Haulover and I would think they're certainly pushing the 90db limit?

i'f i'm over the limit, what options do i have? In the past I've tried using metal baffles inserted into the pipes, that helped a little bit. I don't really want to run downpipe extenders.....are there any attractive options that don't involve rerouting of the exhaust?

I am hoping that the state that has played such a large role in offshore boating won't shut me down :-).

Any insights you can share will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Scott
Old 09-12-2020, 07:40 AM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

My buddy has a house on the canal and owns a 25 Baja outlaw with merc 496 425 hp. Takes him about 20 to 25 minutes to get to the lock at Cape Harbor and then out to the Gulf. He never has a problem with complaints about noise.
Old 09-12-2020, 07:45 AM
Registered

Received 231 Likes on 90 Posts

It will depend on your neighbors. If FWC, county police, or Cape Coral locals get complaints then you will get harassed. With the new turbo motors and outboard movement, people are liking the lack of noise that has always been associated with performance boating. You can clamp non restrictive mufflers on your tailpipes and they do help "check out Gibson power tips".

Joe

Last edited by JPEROG; 09-12-2020 at 07:48 AM.
Old 09-12-2020, 07:52 AM
Registered

Received 1,325 Likes on 739 Posts

I did not know we had any noise restrictions in FL, most of us run dry pipes.

There is a rule that you can not defeat any muffler device, in other words if you have silent choice you would have to leave it on.

we are on a canal but the other coast.
The following users liked this post:
Gordo (09-14-2020)
Old 09-12-2020, 08:12 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Im on the east side of FL and there are several areas that have noise restrictions. I have twin Raylar 600's and 4 inch slash cut pipes so its not quiet. In 12 years ive got pulled over 3 times by DNR. Every time I got in trouble, I was up on plane. Been thru those same areas 100's of other times idling and never had a problem. Obey no-wake zones and dont get up on plane in decibel controlled areas and you will be fine. If it gets beyond that and you are getting challenged, there is always insert or clamp-on mufflers.
Old 09-12-2020, 10:06 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

They'll get used to it. 😉
The following 3 users liked this post by thirdchildhood:
Craney (09-12-2020), hoodoo (09-12-2020), Smarty (09-12-2020)
Old 09-12-2020, 10:14 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 35 Likes on 18 Posts

My neighbor in the yacht club area has a Baja with twins and dry exhaust and he has had no complaints. We talked about it a year or so ago.
Old 09-12-2020, 12:02 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts

I would say that you won't have any issues with what you have. Been here for 7 years and have never seen anyone get hassled.
Old 09-13-2020, 01:06 AM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

I live on a canal in Cape Coral. Never been hassled. Mines quite loud. There a few people who dislike it but most wave and give thumbs up. Cops don’t care as I go by them all the time and they just wave when I do. I wouldn’t worry.
Old 09-13-2020, 09:48 AM
Registered

Received 1,325 Likes on 739 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith Atlanta
Im on the east side of FL and there are several areas that have noise restrictions. I have twin Raylar 600's and 4 inch slash cut pipes so its not quiet. In 12 years ive got pulled over 3 times by DNR. Every time I got in trouble, I was up on plane. Been thru those same areas 100's of other times idling and never had a problem. Obey no-wake zones and dont get up on plane in decibel controlled areas and you will be fine. If it gets beyond that and you are getting challenged, there is always insert or clamp-on mufflers.
From the water how do you know when you enter one?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.