Notices

Center Console FAIL

Old 09-26-2020, 08:52 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by Indy
My guess is he couldn't see the third set out, might have reconsidered if he could have. In any event, he had some gonads going out with those breakers.
Rumor is there were surfers in the water so he couldn't go south like he planned which forced the U turn to try to outrun the breaking swell.

The inlet is not ideal but here is a 50 turbine NT cat going out out on a regular day (2:33 mark is going under the fixed bridge, out the inlet)
Old 09-26-2020, 09:43 AM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts

when the tide is going out these inlets get nasty, I agree the route south may have been the option to get below the inlet current. Its easy to armchair this one but you cant see what he saw at that moment.
Old 09-26-2020, 01:12 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

She seemed to be listing to port over those first waves!! I think they had problems!!
The following users liked this post:
Poker Face Xtreme (09-27-2020)
Old 09-26-2020, 01:41 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by thisistank
How the F are you supposed to get out of the harbor with waves coming into the inlet? Genius' never heard of a break wall???
FWIW thats my local inlet. Boynton Beach Inlet sucks on good days... Coincidentally, I went to breakfast on the beach that day and the surfing conditions were amazing. The waves were breaking close to 100+ yards offshore and they were 10 footers, very rare for us.

The Boynton inlet has really really fast current on days that the water is calm outside. Not defending this dude, but there is a break wall, he is about 50 yards past it.

Cant tell you how many times I came thru there and there were either 1. Dude and his entire family on a 18 foot jon boat with a 15 HP outboard going 6 knots or 2. Ten Jet skis jumping wake and creating a slow-down bottleneck situation. (keep in mind, its only 30 feet wide so you can-not plausibly pass without being an A-hole, so in the meantime, the current can easily push you into the wall)
thisistank (09-26-2020)
Old 09-26-2020, 02:08 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Keith Atlanta
FWIW thats my local inlet. Boynton Beach Inlet sucks on good days

Cant tell you how many times I came thru there and there were either 1. Dude and his entire family on a 18 foot jon boat with a 15 HP outboard going 6 knots or 2. l)

That never happens..........oh wait:

Old 09-26-2020, 02:09 PM
Registered

BTW- Billy Joel has a house a few hundred feet north of the Inlet, he should stop by for some new song material!
Old 09-26-2020, 03:03 PM
Registered

Received 581 Likes on 295 Posts

Lake Mead! Classic... Guy busting a U in those swells had to have been having problems. If there was something up ahead that he couldn't pass I think I would have held steady bow pointed forward until it was clear to pass. Thats just my opinion but I wasn't there. I hate that for him and his boat. Hopefully the damage was minimal.
thisistank (09-26-2020)
Old 10-09-2020, 01:35 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Directly ahead of him were surfers....he saw them last second, pulled the u and should have put it to the pins....could have happened to anyone.