Notices

Alcantara Upholstery

Old 10-07-2020, 06:08 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Alcantara Upholstery

I am getting ready to have DCB redo my interior and have quoted going full Alcantara. The material has been used for nearly a decade in some performance boats and I would like to have some feedback on its durability. I use my boat, we swim and ski, get caught out in rain, etc.... Bottom line is that my interior is going to get wet from time to time. Is that going to be a problem? Also how has the color fastness of the material been? I really like the classy look of the material but I want something that is going to last.
I also am considering upgrading to a composite seat frame. I think they use starboard. I really don't know why any builder would not avoid using wood in any boat? Is there a problem with building interior frames with the composite materials?
Thanks
Old 10-07-2020, 06:24 AM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

I would consider the new cool touch vinyl that DCB and others use. Colors are brighter and resist the fade. No doubt alcantara is very nice and I have seen it hold up well to water on it! But, the older models with alcantara do show fading IMO. Now, there could be a new type out there that I have not seen. You could always do a cool touch/alcantara combo that way you get the feel and look you are shooting for.
The following users liked this post:
SkiDoc (10-08-2020)
Old 10-07-2020, 09:02 AM
Registered

Received 4,323 Likes on 1,241 Posts

YOu like the way it looks?
Old 10-07-2020, 12:15 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Justin a Waves and Wheels said had some that hung outside 24/7 for a very long time(years) to test and said it was still like new
SkiDoc (10-08-2020)
Old 10-08-2020, 07:46 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
YOu like the way it looks?
Ha yes like the way it looks and I like to sit on it. Not for everyone.

With the above comments, it might be good to use the cool touch for the accent colors and use the black/charcoal Alcantara for the rest as fading there will not be obvious.

Any experience from anyone on wood free seat bases? I have only seen either fiberglass or wood, or rotocast plastic on pontoons,etc...
Old 10-09-2020, 01:10 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Your boat gets wet? lol!
Old 10-10-2020, 03:58 PM
Platinum Member

Received 134 Likes on 80 Posts

I don't know anything about the alcantara fabric but I've used starboard a few times in the past , mostly to replace under upholstered cushion hatches and the like . I'm sure that most boat builders would love to make a more durable boat that lasts and lasts but the problem with starboard is that it has a much higher starting price than plywood and that would grow exponentially in the finished price of the boat. Another point might be that it has very sharp edges if you just cut it and bang it together and possibly also that it doesn't staple as easily as plywood . Oh , and another , it's heavier than plywood too .
But I do know that a skilled carpenter who's got a lot of marine carpentry under his belt can work wonders with it . With the tools at their disposal I think they don't mind working with it at all and can turn out some really nice stuff .
SkiDoc (10-11-2020)