Notices

Ocean boating

Old 10-18-2020, 09:01 AM
Registered

Received 165 Likes on 65 Posts

Oh and if you go in and out of Haulover be careful or you just might end up on YouTube.
The following 4 users liked this post by boatfreak:
92nsx (10-21-2020), Bobthebuilder (10-18-2020), phughes69 (10-21-2020), Snow Trooper (10-19-2020)
Old 10-18-2020, 09:16 AM
Registered

Received 1,325 Likes on 739 Posts

Must be calmer down in south FL, I never get to go out and see these nice swells everyone always talks about.

its funny, most here don’t like running the outside because they get beat up but the fishing guys will go 40 miles out in a 25 foot boat.
The following 3 users liked this post by Wildman_grafix:
bulletbob (10-21-2020), Indy (10-18-2020), OldSchool (10-20-2020)
Old 10-18-2020, 10:09 AM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Deep water calms the chop and allows for the big swells. In South FL, less than 1mi out , you can be in 600'-1000' depth.
Old 10-18-2020, 11:18 AM
Registered

Received 1,285 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
Must be calmer down in south FL, I never get to go out and see these nice swells everyone always talks about.

its funny, most here don’t like running the outside because they get beat up but the fishing guys will go 40 miles out in a 25 foot boat.

We routinely run out 85nm snapper fishing in this little world cat.
But always take sat phone,raft,epirb and never go in the winter with a front coming within 36 hrs.

The following users liked this post:
Indy (10-18-2020)
Old 10-18-2020, 11:22 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by rak rua
Welcome to OSO.
Sell your Skater (cheaply) to me and buy something else. Anything else, it won't matter to me.

Lake Meade reference, had some clown banned on here recently under 3 different screen names, he was a stirrer, talking about running his 33' Scarab in waves up to 10' on Lake Meade.

RR

P.S. Agree with your last post, keep the Skater if you really like it and use it for a while, see how ya go. I'm sure you'd have no trouble selling a nice 24 in Florida if you change your mind.

Edit... Speicher Lane, quicker on the keyboard while I was typing!
I completely missed that! Are the threads still up? I will search for them. Lake Erie gets 10 footers and I had to get home from PIB once in honest 6-8 slop. No I wasn't on plane and had to idle almost all the way back to the Detroit River in my 22' Donzi. Water coming over the bow but not inside boat over every wave. Took hours!

edit: just found the link.
Old 10-18-2020, 11:29 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by hoodoo
We routinely run out 85nm snapper fishing in this little world cat.
Nice boat, what length is it?
Old 10-18-2020, 12:26 PM
Registered

Received 1,285 Likes on 474 Posts

24.5’
Old 10-18-2020, 05:20 PM
Registered

Received 1,325 Likes on 739 Posts

Originally Posted by hoodoo
24.5’
The VP of our company has one of those, they feel a lot bigger than they are. I have been out 50-55 miles out with him.

like u say EPIRB sat Phone etc.
Old 10-19-2020, 04:39 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi_Octane,

First welcome to South Florida. Your boat will not only be a whole lot of fun in those waters but will also stand out simply because it will be extremely unique. Your better off keeping the boat and spending the money on a in-and-out dry storage facility with the least amounts of No-Wake, and Manatee Zones.

There are so many sandbars, restaurants, and beach clubs on Biscayne Bay that you will have no trouble enjoying a sunny day. There are also plenty of long weekend trips via Florida Bay to the Keys, or even a day weekend trip trip to Bimini. (on a calm day a jet ski can make the trip to Bimini in under 90 minutes)

Miami Inlet is by far the best maintained and easiest to Navigate South of Port Canaveral.

The thing to know about the area is that for the most part conditions are pretty stable. If the weather is ok when you leave, it will really won't change much (of course running through rain at speed is rather uncomfortable). In South Florida the most dangerous thing is traversing the inlets, and trust some of the inlets are down right dangerous.

North Winds only come into play when you are crossing into the Gulf Stream, which in Miami is generally a zone at least 8 miles off shore, because you will get things like inshore 4-6ft, Gulfstream 9-12ft, and the transition between the two is dramatic.

Again welcome to Florida, Miami is a vibrant city with great food, lots of culture, and some of the worlds greatest clubs (Space for example), I wish you the best
Old 10-19-2020, 11:45 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rak rua
Welcome to OSO.
Sell your Skater (cheaply) to me and buy something else. Anything else, it won't matter to me.

Lake Meade reference, had some clown banned on here recently under 3 different screen names, he was a stirrer, talking about running his 33' Scarab in waves up to 10' on Lake Meade.

RR

P.S. Agree with your last post, keep the Skater if you really like it and use it for a while, see how ya go. I'm sure you'd have no trouble selling a nice 24 in Florida if you change your mind.

Edit... Speicher Lane, quicker on the keyboard while I was typing!
I’m not really sure why you guys jumped all over that newb. He asked a legit question. Have you ever boated that lake? The dude was right...you can get stuck in 10 footers and they are not swells. Ever wonder why little Havasu is so popular when the tow is the same to Mead and it’s 10 deg cooler and right next to VEGAS? It’s because that lake can be nasty and unpredictable.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.