Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
What is the longest distance you have had to drive your boat in reverse? >

What is the longest distance you have had to drive your boat in reverse?

Notices

What is the longest distance you have had to drive your boat in reverse?

Old 11-20-2020, 09:57 AM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

I think the type of exhaust you have is pertinent question. Mechanically, in particular on a Bravo, it’s all the same parts going forwards or backwards and running a Bravo at full speed backwards is as simple as moving a cable and a different prop.

But on my boat with a molded in swim deck, if I reverse too hard it tries to shove the water up the pipes.
The following users liked this post:
Sydwayz (11-20-2020)
Old 11-20-2020, 11:41 AM
Registered

Received 480 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by techman
A long time ago....I was in the family 13 foot Thunderhawk tri-hull with a 25HP Envinrude long-shaft far out in the Passamaquoddy Bay New Brunswick with my Mom and baby sister. They were nervous boaters, I was a naïve teenager in command. Lost forward gear on a out running tide and if you know the tides, currents, weather in this area that was a bad situation. Reverse lasted about 2 miles before that went too, shift shaft broke. Luckily, weather was good, a weekend, and we flagged down another pleasure boat. Another 3 mile tow behind a smoky 2 stroke of the kind Samaritans' got us back to the dock. Never got my mom in the boat again! No cell phones back then and didn't have a radio. Ignorance of youth!
reading along for something to do and when i got to babysitter i thought this was going down a dark dark path
Old 11-20-2020, 12:16 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

164 miles nener hit anytthing
Old 11-20-2020, 02:14 PM
Registered

Received 895 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by outonsafari
reading along for something to do and when i got to babysitter i thought this was going down a dark dark path
zip up your pants, put your glasses on and see that it says "baby sister" not babysitter!

The following 2 users liked this post by Jupiter Sunsation:
Dave3fl (11-21-2020), outonsafari (11-21-2020)
Old 11-20-2020, 02:15 PM
Registered

Received 895 Likes on 486 Posts

Anyone else get a "Darr" feeling from the OP?
Old 11-21-2020, 05:45 PM
Registered

Received 480 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
zip up your pants, put your glasses on and see that it says "baby sister" not babysitter!
how do you know i wear glasses and my pants were down ? You in the cia or something ?
Old 11-21-2020, 06:19 PM
Registered

Received 4,356 Likes on 1,249 Posts

I don`t like reversing out on the water, a good wave comes and it goes right up the exhaust.
Last time it killed the engine, but I don`t have those lame flappers so ...
Old 11-21-2020, 06:21 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
It's not a big deal. I had to back a BRAND new Active Thunder down a fairway that was INCREDIBLY tight with pointy go-fast boats on to the port, and props from flats boats on lifts to the starboard at the Tiki Bar during the FPC Miami Boat Show Poker Run, in front of God and everyone, and our slip for the weekend was right next to the bar/pool table in the Tiki Bar; and I had to angle the boat into the slip.
Talk about an audience!

If you have a boat with staggered engines you will have a little harder time controlling it. But you will still be fine.
Do you have a single engine boat or twin? If you have a twin, just leave the wheel straight, and turn around in your bolster to face backward, and use the shifters to back it all the way down like a skid-steer.
It's always interesting docking in front of a peanut gallery. I have to make sure everyone aboard knows how important is is for a boater to look like a pro while docking.