Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
What is the best DIY gelcoat sealant/ceramic coating to use on a performance boat? >

What is the best DIY gelcoat sealant/ceramic coating to use on a performance boat?

Notices

What is the best DIY gelcoat sealant/ceramic coating to use on a performance boat?

Old 11-30-2020, 11:25 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What is the best DIY gelcoat sealant/ceramic coating to use on a performance boat?

Hi, per the title I would like to know what the folks on here have found to be the best DIY sealant or ceramic coating to use on your performance boat that will last at least 6 months without having to do much maintenance to it? I have a performance boat that i keep in a fresh water slip here in Michigan from May to October and am trying to find a user friendly product that has an amazing shine, UV protection, doesn't allow water spotting or dirty water streaks, and will last at least 6 months before having to do any major maintenance to it or re-coating. I would like to know if people have tried products on their boats like Bead Maker, F-11, The Last Coat, Torque Detail, or something else? I do keep a full cover on my boat when I'm not using it. Thanks in advance for your replies.

I would like to know what the pre-application prep work is prior to applying the product and what aspects that you really like about the product that you're using?

Last edited by h20guy; 11-30-2020 at 11:27 AM.
Old 11-30-2020, 03:59 PM
Registered

Received 4,323 Likes on 1,241 Posts

Amazon Amazon

Ive used this and it lasts and worked out well.
I didn`t do anything to the paint before hand but it`s in good shape.
I like ceramic on the vertical surfaces only .. otherwise on the deck it leaves water spots and can be slippery .

Makes cleaning a snap thou . I love it!
Old 11-30-2020, 06:18 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

I'm curious on this one too.....

I used hydro-silex last season and felt it kept black streaking down the first month or two but ultimately wore off so figured I'd also see if anyone else has a different suggestion for next season......
Old 11-30-2020, 06:31 PM
Registered

Received 60 Likes on 31 Posts

https://iglcoatingsusa.com/product/marine/

this stuff is killer. I’ve used on the bottom and it stopped the water stains on the bottom and the sides and top makes cleaning a breeze. But it slick. You’ll bust your ass if your not careful
Old 11-30-2020, 08:42 PM
Registered

Received 1,207 Likes on 580 Posts

Originally Posted by b18cls1
https://iglcoatingsusa.com/product/marine/

this stuff is killer. I’ve used on the bottom and it stopped the water stains on the bottom and the sides and top makes cleaning a breeze. But it slick. You’ll bust your ass if your not careful
Dealer only. Can't see cost/pricing.
Old 11-30-2020, 09:35 PM
Registered

Received 151 Likes on 65 Posts

Check out P&S products Ceramic coatings. We offer a 1 year, 3-5 year and a 7 year is realsing next spring.

coatings basically consist of solids and solvents more solids means harder longer lasting product, but then means it’s more tedious to work with.

the whole process is important. I’ve trained quite a few people on how do do coatings. I have done probably 50 of them my self. Did a freshly painted 32 Skater this year as well as the well known 36 Skater Aftermath.

check out our FB and IG @the_polishing_school
Old 11-30-2020, 09:38 PM
Registered

Received 151 Likes on 65 Posts

On our Fountain we got 4 seasons on the coating, still holding up very well.

Josh Noack from Teague Marine has just completed year 2 on his coating and said is holding up very well.
Old 12-01-2020, 11:13 AM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

I've been using Driven Marine Polish on my Callaway Corvette and Velocity. It holds up real well and doesn't spot when it gets wet. I'm on year 2 and I just use the detailer spray a couple times a year on the car to get the bugs off and once a year on the boat. It repels dirt and bugs real well I even use it on my sunglasses. They also have a vinyl product that works real well, although it does make it a little slippery. It does work good for getting tree sap, bug guts and finger nail polish off the vinyl.
Old 12-01-2020, 07:38 PM
Registered

Received 4,323 Likes on 1,241 Posts

I found ceramic coating the interior fabrics significantly cut down on my cleaning time.
Old 12-01-2020, 07:43 PM
Registered

Received 1,207 Likes on 580 Posts

Originally Posted by precisiondetails
Check out P&S products Ceramic coatings. We offer a 1 year, 3-5 year and a 7 year is realsing next spring.

coatings basically consist of solids and solvents more solids means harder longer lasting product, but then means it’s more tedious to work with.

the whole process is important. I’ve trained quite a few people on how do do coatings. I have done probably 50 of them my self. Did a freshly painted 32 Skater this year as well as the well known 36 Skater Aftermath.

check out our FB and IG @the_polishing_school
What's your 3-5 yr?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.