Like Tree1Likes

Boat Trailers

Old 11-15-2002, 09:39 AM
Registered

My Boats: 1984 Chris Cat
Default 32fever

Go with Aluminum. You live in Michigan so the road salt and drastic temp changes are tough on painted steel. Five years from now the trailer will need no upkeep for cosmetics.

Wannabe
Old 11-15-2002, 10:23 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boats: 1991 F311SR1

If you want to shoot money at a trailer, fine.

But I bought my aluminum triple axle trailer from Owens & Sons for $3500. 33' 11,000#GVWR. Brakes on 2 axles (free-backing surge brakes with salt flush kits - I love 'em). Big jack (3000#).

Loads/unloads like a dream ( I launch/load by myself). Pulls like a dream. Fits boat like a dream.

Turned them loose with the order on a Monday. Had it ready on Thursday.

St.Pete, FL

Mike
Old 11-15-2002, 11:42 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

My Boats: 37 Outerlimits & Sweetwater 2486 Tritoon 140HP
Default Re: 32fever

Quote:
Originally posted by wannabe
Go with Aluminum. You live in Michigan so the road salt and drastic temp changes are tough on painted steel. Five years from now the trailer will need no upkeep for cosmetics.

Wannabe
Salt? What are you nuts? I'm lucky to drive the 4x4 out of the garage in salt It won't see salt, and if things go as planned, it will be kept inside a climate controlled warehouse. Actually, when it comes to things like this, I'm a "pretty boy" anal dude. I don't mind throwing a couple coats of wax on my trailer every season. The boat got 7-8 coats of wax, so the trailer feels left out

Bill Tweety, Tweedi, not sure on the spelling did call me today. He's at the Fountain factory right now. He said he does check the sales email, too. (Told him I think of too many questions at11:30-12:00 at night and I doubt he wants me to call him.) LOL!

Actually, it sounds like the Myco will be less money than the Eagle quote I got.
Old 11-15-2002, 11:43 AM
Registered
Trade Score: (1)

My Boats: 2000 Cigarette Topgun

My manning for a 38' PQ, custom fit to my boat. I had them raise the bunks so forks would fit, split the bunks so I could sling it, they put a diamond plate step on winch stand to access bow, 16.5 aluminum wheels w/ spare, custom painted any color w/ stripe, tri-axle w/ brakes on 2 axles. They will do anything you want. They even delivered it to me. All this for just $5550!
Old 11-15-2002, 11:49 AM
Registered

My Boats: boats,cars...speed

Loadmaster steel trailers out of Ohio are nice,....now I have a Aluminum Loadmaster out of Florida that I haul my 40' Excalibur on....I can, and have loaded it by myself....no problems...the aluminum trailers may not be as pretty as a painted one but there is no maintenence on paint from stone chips and rust...plus they weigh a lot less...my .02....Fred
Old 11-15-2002, 12:18 PM
Registered

My Boats: 2004 28 Skater / 300x's

I just bought an aluminum MYCO for our Top Gun and I am really happy with the quality. The trailer has electric over hydraulic disc's and tows and stops very nicely. The boat launches and loads very nice as well. I have also looked at several painted MYCO's that have seen salt several times and that are a few years old, and they looked very good with no visible rust.

I have also owned two Extremes. They make a very nice trailer as well, but they are more custom and IMO will require more care to keep it looking good. My Extreme had alot of polished billet on it which looked *****en, but you also had to spend alot of time polishing the trailer.
Old 11-15-2002, 01:10 PM
Registered
Trade Score: (2)

My Boats: 1999 Cobalt 293 and 1974 Cigarette 20

I can't believe that no one has mentioned Heritage trailers!
I have a painted steel tandum axle Heritage under my Baja, and love it. Heritage is out of Ohio and delivers nationwide. Custom painted and welded to match your specs. Tows like a dream, too. They had the dimensions for my hull already and delivered the trailer to my local dealer. Custom painted any color you want with loads of options on brakes and winches. I don't have alot of history with other brands, but they have me sold.
Old 11-15-2002, 03:01 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boats: A boat?....What boat??? How about a galvarnized warsh tub wit a toranady strapped own da rear!

32Fever,

Soooooooooooooo!......buying a tailer to accomodate a 38 footer eh? (you're probably rolling your eyes right now) Holding out on us local folks huh? You must be buying some pretty bad machine. Care to let us in on what you're up to? It's hard for a person to keep anything confidential anymore these days isn't it? You're probably kicking yourself right now. You did it to me a few weeks ago so now the boom-a-rang is coming back to you.
Old 11-15-2002, 03:46 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

My Boats: 37 Outerlimits & Sweetwater 2486 Tritoon 140HP

Quote:
Originally posted by KAAMA
32Fever,

Soooooooooooooo!......buying a tailer to accomodate a 38 footer eh? (you're probably rolling your eyes right now) Holding out on us local folks huh? You must be buying some pretty bad machine. Care to let us in on what you're up to? It's hard for a person to keep anything confidential anymore these days isn't it? You're probably kicking yourself right now. You did it to me a few weeks ago so now the boom-a-rang is coming back to you.
It's not really a secret, but hey, you wouldn't tell me, so how's it feel? LOL! I was just wanting to make sure we were not fighting over the same boat. "Another offer, man, I better offer more, man that guy is relentless...."as we bid each other up. LOL! Just kidding, it's not the same boat, I do know that now. Actually, I'm looking at 2 boats and trying to decide if we want to do one, the other, or nothing at all and save money
Old 11-15-2002, 04:33 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boats: A boat?....What boat??? How about a galvarnized warsh tub wit a toranady strapped own da rear!

Seriously Mark, I'm probably going to hang on to what I have right now.....and you're probably saying to yourself; "oh sure"

I'm glad to even have the boat I have now. It looks good, sounds good, and runs good-----not the fastest and not trying to be---but she's a runner.....touch those throttles and she'll buck for ya!