Notices

FL registration question

Old 01-19-2021, 10:26 AM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts
Default FL registration question

So for you guys that live in other cold weather states and decide to leave your boat in FL for the winter which would most likely be 6 months of the year or so, are you registering the boat in FL?
According to the rules I have read, if boat is in FL for more than 90 days, its has to be titled and registered there. How do you do this since you cannot have a boat registered or titled in 2 different states?
Old 01-19-2021, 11:48 AM
Registered

Received 107 Likes on 82 Posts

I would base it on your permanent residency state? Just an idea...
The following users liked this post:
Keith Atlanta (01-19-2021)
Old 01-19-2021, 12:02 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by PA.WOODCHUCK
I would base it on your permanent residency state? Just an idea...
Yeah, I was on Lake Lanier for many years, thats what I did. I didnt change it over till after I lived here 5 years. Just make sure your insurance covers Florida. I think mine covered inland lakes and waterways and up to a mile offshore. The insurance will be A LOT cheaper. I still had my Atlanta address and used it as a primary for a long time. Especially if you still boat in both places. Was pulled over several times at random checks. They knew me and saw me all the time. I kept my Atlanta insurance and address information. It gets a lot harder if you have a Florda ID but then I claimed the 6 month rule. The real way to get around this is Coast Guard registration. I never did it but if you want the "right" answer, I believe that would be the correct way if plan on going back and forth a lot. Somebody else can comment on that...

Last edited by Keith Atlanta; 01-19-2021 at 12:05 PM.
Old 01-19-2021, 12:33 PM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

Boat is registered here in GA now but we have a bunch of friends that live in FL and want to leave it down there for winters from like end of Sept through May without being hassled because its not actually registered down there.
It is also coast guard documented as well.
So when you registered yours down there, is their a use tax or something that has to be paid besides the basic $78 registration fee?
Old 01-19-2021, 01:53 PM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

Everything is legal so long as you don't get caught

Don't know FL, but if its cheaper to Reg there, why not do it. In KY its where ever the boat is on Jan 1, so long as boat is not moved to evade taxes
Old 01-19-2021, 02:08 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 795 Likes on 258 Posts

I just take pictures of my boats in every state we visit. Then I can use one if needed at any point in the future. LOL

The boat really doesn't "live" anywhere but can be seen at given times everywhere from Montana to Key West.

The boat and trailer DO have Montana registrations though.
The following 2 users liked this post by Cash Bar:
debcod2 (01-19-2021), endeavor1 (01-19-2021)
Old 01-19-2021, 02:36 PM
Registered

Received 295 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Cash Bar
I just take pictures of my boats in every state we visit. Then I can use one if needed at any point in the future. LOL

The boat really doesn't "live" anywhere but can be seen at given times everywhere from Montana to Key West.

The boat and trailer DO have Montana registrations though.
I’m very curious about the Montana registration. When I lived in the Carolinas, most all super high end cars on the road had Montana registration, and I have seen several in Florida with Montana plates as well.

*Disregard, I see no sales tax.

Last edited by Stuckonstupid; 01-19-2021 at 02:53 PM.
Old 01-19-2021, 10:47 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

Can you just document it and rid yourself off these headaches.....
Old 01-20-2021, 12:08 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

If its Coast Guard documented, isnt all of this a moot point?

FWIW your advelorum tax is more expensive but our insurance is more expensive. So do the math...
The following users liked this post:
debcod2 (01-20-2021)
Old 01-20-2021, 07:00 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts

My boat is registered in NH, no sales tax, and I brought it to FL in November. I store it on the trailer and launch it with a rental truck when I go down. If I was to get caught, I would say I just arrived in FL. I was told you can buy a sticker from the state to extend the 90 days, but I don't know where you would get it or the cost.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.