Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
OT: Gas mileage with Ford Powerstroke?? >

OT: Gas mileage with Ford Powerstroke??

Notices

OT: Gas mileage with Ford Powerstroke??

Old 11-15-2002, 11:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bo, you know some things but not all Just givin ya a hard time The fuel filter changes are recommended at 15,000 mile intervals and they cost anywhere from $45-$60 depending on if you can buy them from a Navistar dealer or a Ford dealer. The air cleaners are recomended to be changed only when the indicator says to. It can actually do more damage to change it before the indicator says to. As far as oil changes I do them myself. The filter costs $9-$10 and the oil (14 Quarts) costs $25-$30. And with a PowerStroke, you really should change the oil every 3000 miles.

By the way a PS does not have an injection pump. It has hydro-electric unit injectors (HEUI) manufactured by Caterpillar, at least until the 6.0 comes out. It does, however, have a high pressure oil pump that drives the injectors that is a complete pain in the butt to replace, expensive too.

I pretty much agree with everything else.

Driveability on a daily basis is not as good as gas, but for towing, you cannot beat a diesel
Old 11-15-2002, 11:11 PM
Bo Knows

Most people claim they prefer diesel towing power over gas, and if you were comparing a V8 diesel to a V8 gas motor I would agree. However, and I'm probably going to get some flack from the diesel fans out there, If I had to chose between a V8 diesel or a V10 gas motor for towing I would pick the V10. Power levels of both are close but I give the edge to the V10 for smoothness, less noise, and I dont really care for the smell of diesel fuel & fumes. I've been working at a Ford dealership for 18 years & have had a lot of experience with both.

Bo

Old 11-15-2002, 11:21 PM
Registered

It's not horsepower that that provides the grunt for towing, it's the torque
Old 11-15-2002, 11:39 PM
Bo Knows

Torque gets you going, horsepower keeps you there ! I knew this was going to get interesting !!

Old 11-16-2002, 09:05 AM
GeoGraphics INC

I know someone will question this but over the last 2 yrs we have been playing with chips and programs here's what we have : 99' F 350 4x4 lowered 7" rear 2"front bigger turbo, 4" ss exhaust electric clutch fan, air box trans shift kit and a reprogrammed Diablo chip!!! I drive to KR racing in Ohio from Toronto on a regular basis, when I went with no mods. I would fill up (40gals) in Toronto and have to fill up before my return trip. Since the mods. I can now make it back to Toronto with no problem. My avg is 19.5 miles empty and 15 to 16 with a large boat . Hope this helps.

Old 11-16-2002, 10:06 AM
mtm
Registered

Default diesel

1999 f350 ext cab 4x4 auto trans ts performance flip chip 4" exhaust from down pipe back and 35 to 40 gal tank my trip to florida at high speeds over 85 mph at times and was geting 600 miles to a tank and the chip makes the truck fly and good fuel miles. i would never go back to gas

Last edited by mtm; 11-16-2002 at 10:11 AM.
Old 11-16-2002, 10:13 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: OT: Gas mileage with Ford Powerstroke??

Originally posted by CheckmateF1

Can you guys with PwrStroke duallys post some gas mileage figures?
I bet they would be higher using DIESEL MILEAGE!

(Sorry, I had to.)
Old 11-16-2002, 12:06 PM
Charter Member #355
Charter Member

ok ok DIESEL mileage!

This seems to be a tougher decision than it should be. Keep the V-10 or get the Diesel???

Thanks a lot for all the info!

Eric
Old 11-16-2002, 02:25 PM
Registered

It's really not that tough. If your going to be doing a lot of towing, get the diesel. If you are going to do most of your driving around town or tow only occasionally, the gas may be a better choice.

Diesels tow much better than gas. Gas has better driveability and less maintenance.
Old 11-16-2002, 04:53 PM
Charter Member #355
Charter Member

Well I drove the diesel today and also did a little towing with it. Power wise it tows better than the V-10, like ya'll said. I like it! Handleing is the same as my truck.

Problem is I don't think it's going to save me any money in the long run (or short run). As the payment is $150 more per month than mine. And the maintenance costs more.

Thanks for the help

Quick Reply: OT: Gas mileage with Ford Powerstroke??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.