Reasonably Priced 350 Mercruiser's >

Reasonably Priced 350 Mercruiser's

Notices

Reasonably Priced 350 Mercruiser's

Old 02-12-2021, 06:36 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by cheech
Needing 2 the same would be the biggest issue finding used unless someone is parting a twin boat out.

I take it you're not doing the work?

What issues with the current ones in the boat classifies them as toast?
Unless the blocks and heads are rotted in the water passages.
A local machine shop should be able to do a basic rebuild of what you have reasonable IMO.
You're not looking for a over the top all out build.
Tried and true 350 rebuild kits hover around $300. for parts.

Do your due diligence before spending any money.
Simple search, I came across These from Jegs for $2100.
Just use your manifolds and tin. They have one with tin for $2200.

Can't vouch for the ATK as I've never used them. Heard of them. Google Jasper also, they're a mass rebuilder.
But they're 350's not to complicated.
All good points.....

You're right, I'm not doing the work, the boat yard where I stored her for the winter did an initial assessment, and after pulling the engines recently, they gave me a detailed description of what shape they're in, here's the email:

"Hope you are safe and well. Here is an update for you on the engines and drives.

One engine has had the core plugs out and put back in. One engine is seized, and we did get it to turn over 1/2 way. The other engine is OMC that had core plugs popped out from past non winterization. The engine oil is full of water and consider it NG. Engine has illegal ignition distributor system it is not allowed on marine engines. The intake manifold is rotted out.

I hate to say this but I would not put a penny into either of these engines. I suggest you find 2 good used take outs or reman drop in motors. Let me know your thoughts.

Both engines are out in shop, and the boat is fully shrink wrapped."

This, is why I'm saying they're toast.....

I've read lots of reply's and trust me I've spent hours on the internet doing tons of research, and searches for engines in just about every phase of build & condition.

After all of that research and reading many replies to this thread, I think the route I'm going to go is to either get two "Base" or two "Long Block" 350's and just build them up from there with new external hardware.

It'll be cheaper than buying fully built "drop-ins" but when I'm done it's be like as if I did for less cash.

I realize that I'm not going to get off Scott free here or get two perfectly good engines for a song, but I'm trying to mitigate the spend on this build as much as possible because there's other areas that have to be addressed later on.

The cheapest blocks I found (ironically enough) are from a place that's near where I used to work many years ago when I lived in Florida.

I lived & worked in Florida from 1997 to 2002, and these guys aren't far from where I used to work.

Check it out:
https://rapidomarine.com/default.asp...nginessbc.aspx

$1,550.00 for casting #638 (just what I need)

Thanks for all the advice, and please keep it coming, there's tons of stuff I need to learn.....

Last edited by Vice; 02-12-2021 at 06:38 PM.
Old 02-12-2021, 07:04 PM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

Watch the core charge with Repido
Old 02-12-2021, 07:14 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by AllDodge
Watch the core charge with Repido
If I go that route, I promise I will.....

Old 02-12-2021, 08:28 PM
Registered

Received 289 Likes on 167 Posts

I used MM and am happy w/the results. Twin 350s in my 292.

Winter Work

Old 02-12-2021, 08:40 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SabrToothSqrl
I used MM and am happy w/the results. Twin 350s in my 292.

Winter Work
I see a few others in here also used them.

I checked out their website and their processes seem pretty reasonable.
Old 02-12-2021, 10:35 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Is the boat really worth spending 8-10k on??? What's it worth complete with engines done??? Maybe 12-15k if its in good shape???
My guess is there is probably some other stuff it needs as well. IMO, better off to part the rest of it out and find a new used boat complete.
The following users liked this post:
tommymonza (02-16-2021)
Old 02-13-2021, 09:48 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Griff
Is the boat really worth spending 8-10k on??? What's it worth complete with engines done??? Maybe 12-15k if its in good shape???
My guess is there is probably some other stuff it needs as well. IMO, better off to part the rest of it out and find a new used boat complete.
Oh she needs quite a bit, the cockpit seats have to be reupholstered along with the side panels. (the rear section seats were already done)

The forward cabin interior needs to be freshened up, possibly new carpet & trim pieces.

The hull and stringers are structurally sound as well as the floors. (no soft spots, or major cracking anywhere) All of these areas have been professionally assessed.

I'll want to paint her, and of course I need to address replacing the engines.

Here's the thing.......I absolutely love this boat and there's no way I'm giving up on her. I would have ditched her if the hull, stringers or floor was shot, or if the rear transom area was completely rotted, but all of those areas are super solid, so since she's got good bones I'm just going to stick with her.

Ultimate price tags don't phase me because I don't buy things to flip them or ultimately sell them for a profit.

I've been buying & restoring motorcycles & cars most of my adult life, most of them I still have, and eventually they'll all go to my daughter one day.

So, while I understand your point, I'll be keeping this boat.
Old 02-13-2021, 12:51 PM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

Know what ya mean when you like a boat, I put 40K+ in a boat worth maybe 20K
CDShack (02-19-2021)
Old 02-13-2021, 01:17 PM
Registered

Know what ya mean when you like a boat, I put 40K+ in a boat worth maybe 20K
Exactly....

You only get one life, and you can't take it with you.
1BIGJIM (02-15-2021)
Old 02-14-2021, 05:47 PM
NCC
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where are you located, and where is the boat?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.