Notices

2001 Baja Islander 252

Old 04-12-2021, 03:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow 2001 Baja Islander 252

I am looking to purchase a Baja Islander 252. Originally wanted a cuddy but there is nothing on the market so contemplating this open bow.

Does anyone have any experience with these boats?
How do they handle in the chop?
Are the 2 storage compartments big enough for a Porta Potty, particularly for small children and petite woman?

Thanks!
Old 04-12-2021, 04:04 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jmannara
I am looking to purchase a Baja Islander 252. Originally wanted a cuddy but there is nothing on the market so contemplating this open bow.

Does anyone have any experience with these boats?
How do they handle in the chop?
Are the 2 storage compartments big enough for a Porta Potty, particularly for small children and petite woman?

Thanks!
I had a 2002 252 Islander. We had it 5 years with 4 kids. I actually think it's an awesome boat. We used it to ski & tube - did many long day trips on Cumberland and LOTO. Handles the chop rather nice - pretty heavy boat for a 25'. The cabins are certainly large enough for a porta-potty. I had a 5 blade prop that made a huge difference. Tried a 4 blade and it just seemed very squirrely to handle. Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
jmannara (04-12-2021)
Old 04-12-2021, 04:18 PM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

I have the 272 Islander and not sure where they gave up the 2’. Fantastic all around boat and so happy that I went with the open bow as everybody can find a comfortable spot to hang. It’s not going to pound the chop like an Apache but handles it better than most lake boats. Mine has a closet with a porta potty that anyone under 5’ can use. It’s really not for adults though but a few women have managed.
The following users liked this post:
jmannara (04-12-2021)
Old 04-12-2021, 05:09 PM
Registered

Thanks for the info! It's very helpful.
Where did you typically store a cooler? I am not even sure what storage it has. I am going to look at the boat a second time this week.
Old 04-12-2021, 05:09 PM
Registered

Thanks for the info on the 272!
Old 04-12-2021, 06:35 PM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by jmannara
Thanks for the info! It's very helpful.
Where did you typically store a cooler? I am not even sure what storage it has. I am going to look at the boat a second time this week.
I use soft coolers and they fit in quite nicely under the front bolsters.
Old 04-12-2021, 06:59 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 628 Likes on 289 Posts

I have one...just bought it last year. PHENOMENAL boat! It handles rough water VERY well, nothing I've seen at Table Rock Lake (which can get nasty) has fazed it. I also have a 208 Islander that I've had since new in '92 and the differences are night and day in those two boats. I love them both, but the 252 is just...so much more refined.
My wife rarely drops her bolster seat to the down position so I have one cooler that fits in that space perfectly, and a much larger one that sits behind either seat. Yes, the little cabins are JUST big enough for a portable toilet.
Congratulations on your purchase!
Old 04-12-2021, 07:04 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 628 Likes on 289 Posts

lots of storage under the rear bench, in the gunwales, and a huge amount up front under the seats, in addition to the little cabins.