Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   best windproof sunglasses? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/37139-best-windproof-sunglasses.html)

CHAOS REIGNS 11-17-2002 06:30 PM

best windproof sunglasses?

what are you guy's wearing to keep the wind out of your eye's?

THEJOKER 11-17-2002 06:35 PM

Oakleys work well

I've been wearing Oakleys for a while and they work well in the wind - Just my .02 worth - BH

CHAOS REIGNS 11-17-2002 06:47 PM

thanks

i have been wearing oakleys -- but was looking for a little more protection

those guard dog's look like the trick!

XS Wetness 11-17-2002 06:57 PM

I bought a pair of Native sunglasses (Nativeeyewerar.com) I have the ryde model and they block the wind much much better than my Oakleys. I also bought some guard dog goggles and they also work great.:cool:

25 Eagle 11-17-2002 07:18 PM

Gargoyle's work good.

Consintracy 11-17-2002 07:46 PM

Great thread!! Wish I'd have thought about it, before I got my Oakley's!!:(

CHAOS REIGNS 11-17-2002 09:43 PM

just ordered some guard dog's -- we'll see how they do this weekend

i'll be glad to report back!

mcollinstn 11-17-2002 09:45 PM

The original Gargoyles (like Earnhart Sr. wore) are the best I have ever used. I have Oakleys now and they are OK-ish, but still get too much wind around the corners.

I have some goggles that are a cross between real goggles and wraparound glasses that work well. They really don't work any better than the old standard style Gargoyle lunar greys...

I still have a battered old pair but they finally broke across the nose piece. I guess I should send them back to the factory (heard they will replace them for 1/2 price).

puder 11-17-2002 10:02 PM

i wear oakleys on my bike. They are fine even up to 100 with the helmut visor up. Over 100 it come down by itself weather i want it too or not. (SO i've been told....) :D

Scott 11-18-2002 06:54 AM

REVO Extreme wraps give great wind protection with a lens thats hard to beat.

shawn 11-18-2002 08:15 AM

Who has a good one that I can get with my perscription that's also polarized

thunderdan 11-18-2002 08:26 AM

I have a pair of Oakley racing jacket sunglasses that I had my RX made into the lenses and they have been great. I have used them at 90 mph without any wind getting into my eyes. They are not the best looking glasses but they are OK and serve a great purpose, to see and keep the wind out of my eyes.

32fever 11-18-2002 08:28 AM

Originally posted by Too Old
Guard Dogs

Purpose built eyewear.

www.guard-dogs.com

What, do you shoot yourself in the face with an air compressor hose?

You're never out IN THE WATER in a boat!!!!!!

Just jokin!

Cord 11-18-2002 08:51 AM

I use the hingless Oakleys and have been very satisfied. My wife has perscription glasses and I ordered a set of guard dogs that fit over them. She's not real fond of the appearances, but reports that they work great.

LakeRacer 11-18-2002 09:11 AM

I'm always losing my sunglasses so no Oakleys for me. The best pair of sunglasses I have ever bought are safety glasses. They are wrap around and cost me $4.00 a pair. For what I would spend on Oakleys, I have lots of replacements and everyone onboard has sunglasses if they forget theirs.

Ratchet 11-18-2002 10:14 AM

Guys,

Great thread.........I wear contacts, and it's really tricky to get glasses that don't annoy your eyes when driving. Anyways, I've owned a couple of pairs of oakleys, and they were alright. But the last couple of years, I just started buyin cheap glasses..........guess what, noone sits on them takes them, or you never lose them - lol.

Anyways, the best glasses I've liked (at least for me) were bought for $10 at meijers (went back and bout 2 extra pairs for that price). They were Ironmans, or something like that. They looked good, were waraparounds, and very durable. They weren't too big either.......something you don't have to change when you go into a resturant, etc.

Just my opinion, but I liked them because they got along good with me & my contact lenses.

The gaurd dogs look cool though.

RJ

CHAOS REIGNS 11-18-2002 10:26 AM

yeah -- that is the reason i need them

i have kerataconus -- which means my eye's are really screwed up.

I wear two pair of contacts -- a soft then a hard lens over it. So with the wind my eye's get VERY dry -- and my contacts pop out easily.

for all my other outdoor sports i just wear goggles (snowboarding, atving, motorcycling) -- but for boating i wanted to look semi cool ;)

the guard dogs look like they should fit the bill nicely -- we'll see this weekend.

CRUBOSS 11-18-2002 10:35 AM

if you go to the shopping malls. they have those little carts or displays in the center. ( at least in the ones i frequent) i found a vender that had knock-off everything. for less than ten bucks a pr. and i loose them or break them. and refuse to pay high dollars. this guy has elastic head band goggles in many different collors and lenses for ten bucks. great little goggles for high speed. no watering eyes. if you break them or loose them , no big deal....

29 OUTLAW 11-18-2002 10:40 AM

Guard dogs work great but they have two downsides and one upside.

Downside 1 - They have plastic lenses which haze over in a couple days time so you need to keep cleaning the haze off.

Downside 2 - They are not suitable to wear as normal sunglasses while onshore.

Upside 1 - They only cost about $25.00 vs. the $100-$200 for some of the highend sunglasses mentioned in this thread. So, Guard dogs might be the way to go if you want to get 4 or 5 sets for your entire crew.

bglz42 11-18-2002 01:14 PM

Costa Del Mar Havana's in black chrome

Wild 11-18-2002 01:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Oakleys, and buy a strap.

They are the best about standing behind there product, they just replaced these for $22

I have only been up to 90mph in a 38 cig and they were find

GeeterB 11-18-2002 01:51 PM

MPJESA

I had problems with wind in my eyes in my Checkmate...It's a 253 and the windshield:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: wouldn't keep wind from going straight into my eyes...would plum blow off most glasses I tried:eek: :eek: :eek:

I went with Panoptix, you can find them thru a google search, just another alternative..............:D

Geeter

HyperBaja 11-18-2002 02:23 PM

Re: Oakleys work well

Originally posted by PWRBOATTOURS
I've been wearing Oakleys for a while and they work well in the wind - Just my .02 worth - BH
Wear them in the car (t tops) boat, mowing grass, so much during the summer that I get tan lines from them!!

Keep the wind out good.

HyperBaja 11-18-2002 02:27 PM

Oh yeah, for oakley minute, best price ive found in 2 years is www.swell.com i think it is now 95 for black frames/black lenses.

SpectreBoy 11-18-2002 03:19 PM

Ray Bans

1 Attachment(s)
Don't forget the old Blues Brothers Ray Bans, been wearing them for 25 years, with 130 mph passes on my bike and 100 mph passes in my boat, prescription too, best part is,,,,,,,,,,is that you don't get owl eyes when you start tanning, Damn I hate when that happens

cowisl 11-18-2002 03:34 PM

I got a pair of Spy's this past summer. They offer great wind protection. The only problem with the pai i have now is that I look like a bug with them on.

ssherman 11-18-2002 04:33 PM

I have three pair of Maui Jims and they are all polorized and by far the best glasses i have ever owned. I have had the ones that are similar to the ray bans above (maui Jim Sports i believe) I have had them on at 152 on water (40 Skater Out of Control) and 177 on land (honda CBR) and no tears from these eyes. I also have the titanium sports and the regualr titanium's they do not work well in the wind for my face. other glasses that work well for me are the oroginal oakleys (squared off bottom edge) and the ray ban aviators. I think the only safe way is trial and error since everybodies check bone a facial structiure will have the glasses resting differently. The goggle style glasses would be a safe bet since they actually fit snuggly on the botom side 9this is where i notice the most air coming in on improper specs.

A friend has serengetti polarized pers. glasses and they seem to do well.

Playn 11-18-2002 04:38 PM

REVO (with a strap)

CHAOS REIGNS 12-09-2002 04:11 PM

ok -- just thought i'd update ya'll

Got the Guard Dogs and they work pretty well -- although they feel cheap (they were about 80 bucks) they block the wind well and look OK.

I also have some Maui Jim Titanium sports -- block the wind very well and are very nice sun glasses.

Tantrum 12-09-2002 04:41 PM

Spy Sunglasses.
Windows for your head! Check out the Microscoops they have a biult up cheek bone and eyebrow so the wind stays out. The sides are vented so they dont fog. They are priced around $75 so there not completely obnoxous. Keeps my contacts in my eye's not a dryed peace of seliphane (sp) stuck on the side of my cheek.

http://www.spyoptic.com/

BigMike 12-09-2002 05:46 PM

Costa Del Mar Deep Blue. Tortoise frame with backwater green glass lenses. I will never go back to cheap sunglasses or plastic lenses. I do not know many folks who have a spare set of eyes laying around. Spend the money. Get 100% UV A, B, and C protection.

Mike

Donzi38ZX 12-09-2002 10:37 PM

Originally posted by mpejsa
ok -- just thought i'd update ya'll

I also have some Maui Jim Titanium sports -- block the wind very well and are very nice sun glasses.

Which set of Maui Jim Titanium Sports did you end up with? They make three styles.

Ka'anapali
Kapalua
Wailea

HebertNecessity 12-10-2002 11:05 AM

Try Ocean waves, they will put your Rx in them and pretty good lens, lots of styles, I'm thinking of the goggles? ugly but effective. any feedback,
Thanks, Hugh

CHAOS REIGNS 12-10-2002 01:21 PM

I have the Wailea

slapshot 12-10-2002 01:34 PM

I have the Smith Slider Series glasses, and they work great for me. I also like the fact that you can change the lens from smoked for the sunlight to yellow for low light situations.

rouxsterre 04-04-2003 02:00 PM

The Spy's seem to work real well . . .

LapseofReason 04-04-2003 02:17 PM

The Spy's or Dragon's are the best I have had, the Dragon's have great lenses real hard to scratch and polarized. Oakley's work OK but you have to treat them like a new born baby they break to easy. You can get a nice pair of Dragons for $60 last I looked that's almost 1/2 the Oakleys.

Cat Girl 04-06-2003 08:30 PM

I bought us some Harley glasses. We have not tried them yet, but the bikers wear them and they withstand wind up to 120 mph. They are wrap around and are magnetized in the middle. Not sure how well they work, but we will give them a try. We also use safety glasses and order the amber colored lenses and they have worked well.

Catgirl

GLH 04-07-2003 07:09 AM

Re: Ray Bans

Originally posted by SpectreBoy
Ray Bans with a strap rules. Both prescription and standard when the contacts are in.

R Addiction 04-07-2003 09:39 AM

Originally posted by thunderdan
I have a pair of Oakley racing jacket sunglasses that I had my RX made into the lenses and they have been great. I have used them at 90 mph without any wind getting into my eyes. They are not the best looking glasses but they are OK and serve a great purpose, to see and keep the wind out of my eyes.
Dan , at 90 the glasses are imbedded in your face:p

I use Gaurd Dogs, love em!!!