Best shop to rebuild my 502's...?

Old 05-12-2021, 12:41 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,051 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Originally Posted by mitchb
Who is BUP?

Thanks for chiming in, folks...

The comment re. one shop doing the remove / replace, and the other the rebuild - is absolutely valid. The service department at my marina, after originally providing fair and good service, tried to pull a fast one on me, and has lost my confidence. So I don't trust them with rebuilding the motors. Any other mechanic that does work at the marina has to pay the marina a 20% surcharge... So, that's who I'm dealing with.
They are my only option to get the motors out of the boat.

And yes, I'm aware that I may have block damage. If I ask the locals to pressure check the block, they will undoubtedly quote me full Mercruiser retail for new longblocks...

I've sort resigned myself to the reality of paying them to remove the engines, and shipping them to somewhere for a rebuild. Not happy about the engine builder not being local - it basically means that there will zero warranty on any of the work.
I realize there is no cheap way to get this done. I just can't risk buying more problems...

I'm open to any suggestions... What would you do if you were in my shoes?
If you're not in good standings with the marina I wouldn't have them touch the boat, people who have been on here a while have seen plenty of instances where those issues usually get worse and worse.

EDIT: is your boat on Texoma ?

Last edited by F-2 Speedy; 05-12-2021 at 01:15 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by F-2 Speedy:
Padraig (05-12-2021), Powerquest230 (05-12-2021)
Old 05-12-2021, 10:58 PM
Registered

Received 70 Likes on 33 Posts

Who is BUP?

Thanks for chiming in, folks...

The comment re. one shop doing the remove / replace, and the other the rebuild - is absolutely valid. The service department at my marina, after originally providing fair and good service, tried to pull a fast one on me, and has lost my confidence. So I don't trust them with rebuilding the motors. Any other mechanic that does work at the marina has to pay the marina a 20% surcharge... So, that's who I'm dealing with.
They are my only option to get the motors out of the boat.

And yes, I'm aware that I may have block damage. If I ask the locals to pressure check the block, they will undoubtedly quote me full Mercruiser retail for new longblocks...

I've sort resigned myself to the reality of paying them to remove the engines, and shipping them to somewhere for a rebuild. Not happy about the engine builder not being local - it basically means that there will zero warranty on any of the work.
I realize there is no cheap way to get this done. I just can't risk buying more problems...

I'm open to any suggestions... What would you do if you were in my shoes?

Sorry to hear that Mitch. I would have the marina pull the motors and send them to the shop of your choice. At least you will have some control over the process and expenses.
Old 05-13-2021, 12:53 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Is your boat in the water? Have you tried to start the engines? Are these EFI / MPI engines or carb engines?

It really makes no sense to send your current engines anywhere if the blocks are cracked.
There is no rebuilding them. Its just transferring engine accessories from the old engines to the new long blocks.

The following 2 users liked this post by Griff:
endeavor1 (05-13-2021), JaayTeee (05-15-2021)
Old 05-13-2021, 09:11 AM
Registered

Received 516 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by Griff
Is your boat in the water? Have you tried to start the engines? Are these EFI / MPI engines or carb engines?

It really makes no sense to send your current engines anywhere if the blocks are cracked.
There is no rebuilding them. Its just transferring engine accessories from the old engines to the new long blocks.
/\ /\ /\ /\ /\ Agree with all them above.
Old 05-13-2021, 09:14 AM
Registered

Received 735 Likes on 330 Posts

Is it possible the only damage is a one or more freeze plugs popped ?
Old 05-14-2021, 11:23 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Interceptor
Is it possible the only damage is a one or more freeze plugs popped ?
It is entirely possible. And certainly my "A plan" is to replace the freeze plug(s). The motors both fire right up and idle. But a review of the internet lore is that if the plugs are popped, it is likely that there may be damage to the block that is not readily visible. I will repair the freeze plugs and run the engines some and check for milky oil and oil pressure...
But I am pursuing "Plan B". At least if I have a plan, I hopefully can avoid frustration.
Yes, the boat is in the water.
The only option to the marina pulling the engines is shipping the entire boat to a facility. That cost would likely be prohibitive.
And yes, the likelihood of maybe having to buy new (re-man) long blocks is a reality I'm aware of.
I'm not fearful of the effort and expense (maybe a little), but more of spending the effort and money and getting screwed...
The following users liked this post:
SB (05-14-2021)
Old 05-14-2021, 11:25 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lear60man
Sorry to hear that Mitch. I would have the marina pull the motors and send them to the shop of your choice. At least you will have some control over the process and expenses.
That is the more likely scenario.

Lear - your engines are newly rebuilt... Who did the work and and are you happy with them so far..?
Old 05-14-2021, 11:16 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Great people

Any help would be very appreciated...

I have located RPM Performance and Machine in Ft Walton... I guess I'll give them a call to start...
RPM Performance and Machine is currently rebuilding my 496 HO and I would highly recommend them. The have turnkey engine, but are also well known for there performance work. I just happened to drop by there today. They have always taken the time to talk with me about any questions I have and go through their process.
Old 05-14-2021, 11:42 PM
Registered

Received 597 Likes on 242 Posts

Buy 2 brand new factory built Mercs with warranty installed by a Merc dealer.

Your Butt for Hurt for years , but the hours of Painfree boating will soothe It.

Custom builders can't build a brand new motor of that stature for a reasonable cost compared to Merc.
The following users liked this post:
Indy (05-15-2021)
Old 05-15-2021, 12:55 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 504 Likes on 236 Posts

There are plenty of really good engine builders in the central US, but most are covered up with work or the delay on getting parts will basically put you into early fall of the year time frame.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.