Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Cigarette Racing Team Sold >

Cigarette Racing Team Sold

Notices

Cigarette Racing Team Sold

Old 10-20-2021, 07:51 AM
Registered

Received 160 Likes on 72 Posts

Revenue has grown 3 times over in 3 months? I highly doubt that. I cant imagine Cigarette only builds 20 boats per year? And if they do, and they plan to build 80 next year, I sure hope they plan to keep the same quality.
Old 10-20-2021, 02:31 PM
Registered

Received 735 Likes on 330 Posts

but he still has time to get aboard his own 42-foot Auroris. “There’s nothing better than going 100 mph on a boat, with the wind in your face,” said Alex. “It’s a really thrilling experience.” !00 mph in an Auroris ?
Old 10-20-2021, 04:56 PM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by PremierPOWER
Revenue has grown 3 times over in 3 months? I highly doubt that. I cant imagine Cigarette only builds 20 boats per year? And if they do, and they plan to build 80 next year, I sure hope they plan to keep the same quality.
Maybe the guy talked his friends into ordering new boats from Cigarette now that he owns it?

Do you know what multi level marketing companies love hiring kids? Because their friends/family usually are the kid's first orders! They want to support the kid so they buy the product. Granted these aren't Cutco knives but in billionaire circles a 500-600-700K boat isn't a budget breaker.

Building the boats won't be the struggle(unless Mercury can't deliver the powerplants), selling an extra 60 boats a year will be.......knock out a few demo/theme boats, then sell to your friends, get a few current owners to upgrade...........ok that blew out 25 boats now how do you sell 55 more through a handful of dealers......maybe be like Harley and force dealers to stock up on inventory?
Old 10-20-2021, 04:57 PM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by Interceptor
but he still has time to get aboard his own 42-foot Auroris. “There’s nothing better than going 100 mph on a boat, with the wind in your face,” said Alex. “It’s a really thrilling experience.” !00 mph in an Auroris ?
Sure if it is powered by 1550s like the one 42 Huntress that was powered by 1100s.
Old 10-21-2021, 09:00 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 256 Likes on 111 Posts

The way I read the article he was doing a 100 in his dads old top gun, but I am just a dumb meat guy....Redoing my 15 GTS and found plenty stuff not correct from factory it made me happy I pulled apart for winter fun.
The following 2 users liked this post by Drake22.250:
IGetWet (10-21-2021), Interceptor (10-21-2021)
Old 10-21-2021, 12:18 PM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 12 Posts

The whole situation sounds fishy to me. Though I was initially optimistic about the new ownership, I can't help but feel like Cigarette is dead. Doesn't seem like the new owners are interested in focusing on the brand's heritage and sweet spot. And the comment about revenue tripling in 3 months doesn't really make sense to me...

Seems the focus is entering new categories where Cigarette doesn't exist:
1) Cigarette Yachts. And I believe Cigarette previously had a partnership with a european yacht builder that built a line of "cigarette yachts." Didn't go over well.
2) Cigarette Jet Ski's. lots of questions here...
3) Cigarette Golf Carts. even more questions here....
4) A Cigarette apartment building, like the aston martin building...

I imagine they're just going to license out the cigarette name, but sounds like its going to get over saturated. I love Cig, but I really don't think the brand is strong enough
Old 10-21-2021, 01:15 PM
Registered

Received 834 Likes on 353 Posts

The yachts should be called.... CIGARS.
The following 2 users liked this post by IGetWet:
92nsx (10-22-2021), dykstra (10-21-2021)
Old 10-21-2021, 02:25 PM
Registered

Received 3,020 Likes on 987 Posts

Skepticism is easily thrown out there when there is change and that change brings on such grandiose optimism and deviation in standard vision from new ownership. However, I'd remind you of all the negativity and comments posted on here and other places when Skip bought Cigarette. Nothing but negativity and look what he did. Grew Cigarette more than anyone since Aronow.

I'll sit back and monitor Cigs progress with raised eyebrow and guarded optimism of positive growth.

Last edited by thisistank; 10-21-2021 at 02:50 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by thisistank:
ICDEDPPL (11-17-2021), Joe (10-21-2021)
Old 10-21-2021, 03:18 PM
Registered

Received 204 Likes on 97 Posts

Bold statements from what I read, I don't see how a manufacture can not think about the potential problems taking place economically. I get the demographics of your typical buyers of new cigs, many can afford a cool million+ for a new order boat, but there are plenty that cannot and I assume their projections are inclusive of international sales. Its a fools errand to not consider the state of this economy going forward . When this company was purchased in May it was a different time given what we are now seeing and/or have seen in the last 5 months with the US economy a ship without a captain and no signs of intelligent life to be found.
The following users liked this post:
LivinVIP (10-22-2021)
Old 10-21-2021, 06:16 PM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by thisistank
Skepticism is easily thrown out there when there is change and that change brings on such grandiose optimism and deviation in standard vision from new ownership. However, I'd remind you of all the negativity and comments posted on here and other places when Skip bought Cigarette. Nothing but negativity and look what he did. Grew Cigarette more than anyone since Aronow.

I'll sit back and monitor Cigs progress with raised eyebrow and guarded optimism of positive growth.
When I first heard of the acquisition I was honestly quite excited by the prospect of new ownership, and what the injection of enthusiasm from a passionate owner would bring. But as I've heard heard more and more from direct sources, it sounds like an exercise in slapping Cigarette's name on everything they can get their hands on. I also find it somewhat worrisome that virtually all of the prior management chose to leave rather than stay on.

With all of that negativity out of the way, I really am cautiously optimistic. Cigarette is a great brand, and the new ownership has what I think is an incredible opportunity at an excellent time.

Originally Posted by tlark
Bold statements from what I read, I don't see how a manufacture can not think about the potential problems taking place economically. I get the demographics of your typical buyers of new cigs, many can afford a cool million+ for a new order boat, but there are plenty that cannot and I assume their projections are inclusive of international sales. Its a fools errand to not consider the state of this economy going forward . When this company was purchased in May it was a different time given what we are now seeing and/or have seen in the last 5 months with the US economy a ship without a captain and no signs of intelligent life to be found.
The projections are pretty vague, even for a small volume boat builder. Has revenue actually tripled? or have orders tripled? and then how do you manage that in an up and down business. Did they have one order in may, and now booked 3 orders in august, and thus orders tripled in 3 months? Not saying that's the case, but its very vague
The following users liked this post:
thisistank (11-17-2021)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.