Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sutphen 30
don't do it
Why do you say that?
Old 08-06-2021, 04:22 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wally
"being around water" doesn't mean much....i've been around water all my life as well...fishing and swimming,,,never got into boats till i was about 18 when a friend and i went in and split the cost of a small runabout just so we can have the ladies out with us in bikinis
My first "real"boat was a 1986 30' scarab with twin 454's bout it for around $30k and learned quickly on it.....after the first season the engine were pulled and wallet had a hole in it for the rest of the ownership! would i change anything?......NOPE!
Only advice i can give it this...get the best and biggest you can afford. Keep in mind what you will be towing with as well.....a 1/2 ton truck will not cut it with a boat that 30' or bigger (in most cases) So a 3/4 ton min or 1 ton ideal if you going to be pulling it around any distance. And if you have the time...take a coast guard safety course and even the Tres Martin driving class to help you learn your boat when you get it....
Well I have had mu boating license since I was around 14. I lived in Missouri for a few years and they mandated all drivers have there boating license. So I originally started on a caravelle 21ft. It was my grandparents and they showed me how to do the boating life and stopped once I was 18 and left home for the military. I have definitely been looking into courses as a refresher. Thanks!
Old 08-06-2021, 04:24 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by F14A water jet
What did you buy? How goes it?
I haven't gotten the chance to look. I had my eyes on a 2000 Donzi 33ft ZR but it sold and I have been swamped with projects at work. 6 days a week 12hr days.
But still looking. I am trying to get into a course first and get a nice refresher before going into it. Just trying to play my cards right.
Old 08-06-2021, 04:27 PM
Registered

Sorry guys been super swamped with work! I haven't backed out, just don't have any free time the past month roughly. But I definitely appreciate all the advice. Its hard getting out to the water and making friends with people to try and have small talk about there journey in the boating world! I'm young and people probably would think I am just F***** around and just trying to bum a free ride on there boat!! haha
Old 08-06-2021, 04:39 PM
Registered

Bajaman,

Dumb question but where/who normally does surveys of the boat? Would I just take it to boat dealer? Or are there key words I can lookup and see who is the best at "surveying" boats in my area?
Old 08-06-2021, 04:44 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,051 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Take a look here in your area, definitely do a pre-purchase survey

And thank you for your service.

https://www.marinesurvey.org/

Last edited by F-2 Speedy; 08-06-2021 at 04:52 PM.
The following users liked this post:
KCHOTBOAT (08-06-2021)
Old 08-06-2021, 04:50 PM
Registered

Guys,

Okay so after all this information here is another pile of questions regarding Donzi since it seems as a general consensus that its the better of the two I had picked:

1. Engines to stay away from
2. Years/run of boats with most issues
3. With owning a Donzi is there certain things to look for
4. With a Survey done, what information is all detailed? Is it some sort of report similar to a car inspection?

Thanks again!
Old 08-06-2021, 05:05 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 628 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by jjstoak
Bajaman,

Dumb question but where/who normally does surveys of the boat? Would I just take it to boat dealer? Or are there key words I can lookup and see who is the best at "surveying" boats in my area?
Well...er...uh...'surveyors' do these things, lol! I just punched in to Google "marine surveyors" and it has links to regional and area surveyors, there are several 'certified' groups like NAMS and SAMS, etc...that you'd get the piece of mind knowing they have experience backed by certifications in the survey they'd do.
Old 08-06-2021, 05:10 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 628 Likes on 289 Posts

jj - I've learned to listen to 'signs and portents' over the years, I think your work load is helping you to avoid buying a boat right now...lol! In all seriousness, the market is just stupid at the moment. I punched in a search for a Baja 252 Islander like I have, the ONLY one that was found (that wasn't over a year old and thus not available) was a 1999 model, standard, 7.4 MPI, 600 hours, not a whole lot of the options the boat COULD have come with...and it was $35K. Two years ago that boat would have sold for half that.
Old 08-06-2021, 05:44 PM
Registered

Received 146 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by jjstoak
I am reaching out because I am finally ready to own a boat but would like to get some advice of do's/don'ts for a first time owner. I have been around water all my childhood but I am now 24 and ready to own my first boat, my budget is $70,000 I currently live in Virginia Beach. I plan on using the boat mainly in freshwater and eventually hit the big ocean after. Here are my questions are:

1. Should I start out with a single engine or should I go twin engine?

2. Would a Donzi/Baja boat as my first boat be too much for my first boat?

3. Should I stay under a certain size of boat or try and get the biggest I can afford?

4. Is it better to start small and work up gradually?

Thanks in advance!
not trying to crush anyone's dream but looking back 30 years over my shoulder I would
1. Buy a single engine, half the maintenance cost, half the headache, lower initial cost and lower operating costs.
1a. Most women don't care if it has a single engine or twins.
2.both brands are good boats and they have boats in all sizes. I would ask you more about the end use not the name brand unless you a name brand guy.
3. Once again use and ease of use. Bigger boats are cool looking but require more hp to achieve a given speed (generally) more operating costs, harder to drive , harder to tow , storage and insurance also become an issue.
4. Your trying to by in a bad market, I would by a 19' -22' runabout with a 305/350 that you can play with and get your feet wet . Make sure it has a place for the ladies to lay out on .

I'm one of those old guys that preaches "save for your retirement " if you have $70 large, congratulations . if your borrowing it i would wade in slowly. Your buying at the top of the market and a $70,000 boat today may be worth only $50,000 in a few years.
and for God's sake be safe , life jackets, no alcohol and education. Messing up your life happens in an instant .

Be safe my friend
The following 3 users liked this post by carnutsx2:
boatnt (08-08-2021), KCHOTBOAT (08-06-2021), underpsi68 (08-08-2021)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.