Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Formula and Fountain used boats (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/372333-formula-fountain-used-boats.html)

techman 07-06-2021 11:00 AM

Reading through old posts and came across information that 2005 and later models, Fountain used composite stringers (quoted by RG3). Assuming transom is still wood, however.

zz28zz 07-06-2021 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Too Stroked (Post 4796176)
The other thing that leads to wet transoms and stringers on Fountains is how they sit in the water. On the smaller boats, (32' and less) the rub rail is in the water at the rear of the swim platform and allows water to seep in at the joint. This - along with poor or non-existent sealing of the exhaust tips - leads to all sorts of water intrusion issues.

The 32's do sit really low at the rear. I've seen the rub rail in the water with 3 or 4 people hanging out at the rear. Even seen water up to the bilge blower outlets.
However my 27/29 (w/twin BBC's) has the rub rail abt 6-8" out of the water. The only time the rub rail is in the water is when launching from a steep ramp. The joint under the rub rail is supposed to be sealed however the sealant can shrink and pull loose from one side over time. When water does get past the rub rail joint, it drains into the bilge thru finished holes in transom on both sides near gunwales. The exhaust pipe holes on a 27/29 are well above the water line but do receive a lot of splash. They can be a source of water intrusion and should be properly sealed.

Wildman_grafix 07-06-2021 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by zz28zz (Post 4796260)
The 32's do sit really low at the rear. I've seen the rub rail in the water with 3 or 4 people hanging out at the rear. Even seen water up to the bilge blower outlets.
However my 27/29 (w/twin BBC's) has the rub rail abt 6-8" out of the water. The only time the rub rail is in the water is when launching from a steep ramp. The joint under the rub rail is supposed to be sealed however the sealant can shrink and pull loose from one side over time. When water does get past the rub rail joint, it drains into the bilge thru finished holes in transom on both sides near gunwales. The exhaust pipe holes on a 27/29 are well above the water line but do receive a lot of splash. They can be a source of water intrusion and should be properly sealed.

I fixed the blower issue by glassing them closed and running the vents out the side.

Look up the hull separation issue that formulas have had, that isn't cool either. Moral of the story is a old boat is most likely going to need something fixed. To tell you the truth if you find a fountain with a bad transom use it to knock the price down. If you can at least do the de rig and re rig it isn't bad and when done you will know what you have and can make some improvements in the rigging.

Wildman_grafix 07-06-2021 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Dean Ferry (Post 4796152)
I boat with 2 guys who have fountains, (32 and a 35) and BOTH had to replace their transoms and stringers....

And yet his old 32 three hull numbers off was solid as a rock even with being exposed to a LOT of water, go figure.

Too Stroked 07-06-2021 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by zz28zz (Post 4796260)
When water does get past the rub rail joint, it drains into the bilge thru finished holes in transom on both sides near gunwales.

Remember though, the top of the hull at the transom is not perfectly sealed at the factory prior to deck installation. (I've been to the Fountain factory many times.) And this is not unique to Fountain powerboats. When water gets into the joint at the swim platform, it can get down into the transom. That said, the main route of water intrusion is the holes cut for the exhaust tips.

Too Stroked 07-06-2021 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix (Post 4796269)
And yet his old 32 three hull numbers off was solid as a rock even with being exposed to a LOT of water, go figure.

The problem with boat manufacturing (and boat manufacturers) is that due to the low production volumes and lack of hard tooling in many cases, quality and process control is nowhere near what we've come to expect from other forms of manufacturing - like cars and trucks for instance. This leads to lots of process variability and thus a "good" boat coming off the line just before or after a "bad" boat. If cars were still manufactured this way, we'd all be crying the blues. (Full disclosure: This comes from a guy with 35+ years of manufacturing experience.)

1MOSES1 07-06-2021 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by Too Stroked (Post 4796290)
Remember though, the top of the hull at the transom is not perfectly sealed at the factory prior to deck installation. (I've been to the Fountain factory many times.) And this is not unique to Fountain powerboats. When water gets into the joint at the swim platform, it can get down into the transom. That said, the main route of water intrusion is the holes cut for the exhaust tips.

do all manufacturers suffer from this issue…fairly certain cigarette fiberglasses the top and bottom halves together. would think this technique would eliminate the issue?

Wildman_grafix 07-06-2021 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by 1MOSES1 (Post 4796338)
do all manufacturers suffer from this issue…fairly certain cigarette fiberglasses the top and bottom halves together. would think this technique would eliminate the issue?

!!!!!

Drake22.250 07-07-2021 04:57 AM

PM Glassdave, he has put stringers and transoms in both. He will have your best answers to your question.

Unlimited jd 07-07-2021 05:30 AM

With the molded platform it’s not possible to get in to the joint and glass the cap to the hull on the fountain.
it seems like older fountains (93 and older) are typically ok unless neglected.
Everyone I’ve looked at or worked on built mid 90’s up to a 2009 had rot.
looked at a few center consoles recently. Same thing. Couldn’t find a dry piece of wood in the boat.