Adventures in 525 Fuel Filter Replacement >

Adventures in 525 Fuel Filter Replacement

Notices

Adventures in 525 Fuel Filter Replacement

Old 07-12-2021, 08:35 AM
Registered

Received 414 Likes on 189 Posts
Default Adventures in 525 Fuel Filter Replacement

In another thread by "imartin" it was brought to my attention the the 525 EFI has a second fuel filter at the rear of the engine. Mine was original with about 450 hours. imartin contacted me and we talked on the phone and he informed me that this job is not as easy as it looks. He was right. I was able to get a 7/8 wrench on the top of it but the filter turned in it's bracket. I fabricated a clamp to prevent it from turning but it still wouldn't budge. At this point I knew I'd have to remove the entire filter and work on it on the bench so I removed the port battery so I could lay down next to the engine and remove the bottom fuel line which was difficult because of the Q&Q down pipe being in the way but I got it out. I clamped the built in 7/8 hex on the bottom in a vice and tried to remove the top with a 7/8 wrench. It wouldn't budge and started to turn in the vice. I then clamped another 7/8 box wrench in the vice to hold the filter and put two 7/8 wrenches on top of each other in opposite directions and push/pulled with all my strength and the top popped loose! It was difficult to blow through the old filter element at first and I wonder how this was affecting my fuel pressure/flow at high speed? Anyway the filter is good for 100 hours so this will be done every 3 years and next time it will be easier because i know what I have to do and will be prepared. There is no way that filter was going to open while still on the engine. Now I'm curious if this will change how the boat runs! imatin, I hope you see this as I told you I'd give you an update. I'm sorry but I forgot your real name. I also changed the spin on filter/water separator.
Old 07-12-2021, 09:58 AM
Registered

Received 122 Likes on 46 Posts

Been there done that myself. How about the poor mechanic that does someone's maintenance when the customer says while you are changing the fuel separator just change that little inline fuel filter also. LOL
The following users liked this post:
thirdchildhood (07-12-2021)
Old 07-12-2021, 06:54 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put new ones on mine and dam if one didn't leak from the case so watch them for a minute when new
thirdchildhood (07-13-2021)
Old 07-13-2021, 06:52 AM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood View Post
I'm sorry but I forgot your real name.
Those Texas guys aren't the creative type but they are good folks! Imartin = Ian
thirdchildhood (07-13-2021)
Old 07-13-2021, 07:44 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 227 Likes on 86 Posts

I guess I had better luck, changed both mine right on the 600SCi's... Pretty easy from what I remember.....
Old 07-13-2021, 07:44 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by midwest272 View Post
Put new ones on mine and dam if one didn't leak from the case so watch them for a minute when new
Yes I will closely check it for leaks!

Originally Posted by Awash View Post
Those Texas guys aren't the creative type but they are good folks! Imartin = Ian
That's it! Ian. Thanks.
Old 07-13-2021, 09:16 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 494 Likes on 191 Posts

Cant you just replace the whole filter cartridge assembly? At this point its probably all chewed up anyway...
Old 07-13-2021, 09:55 AM
SB
Registered

Received 1,141 Likes on 489 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith Atlanta View Post
Cant you just replace the whole filter cartridge assembly? At this point its probably all chewed up anyway...
They maybe talking about the old style filter that looked like a GM filter.

Old 07-13-2021, 02:12 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Keith Atlanta View Post
This is a nice blue anodized aluminum cannister and not cheap although Ian informed me that Teague has some used ones available. It's not chewed up either. Just minor damaged that isn't too bad.
Old 07-13-2021, 09:29 PM
Registered

Received 132 Likes on 85 Posts

Like this but blue. $256 list for a new one.

Last edited by cheech; 07-13-2021 at 09:38 PM.
thirdchildhood (07-14-2021)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.