Notices

Been a long summer

Old 07-26-2021, 07:19 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Been a long summer

Boat went in May for new manifolds and just got back this week and now dead in the water. Obviously ill send back to the mechanic, but if there is something thats a quick check that will get be running.

Boat is a Baja Boss 302 with 502s fuel injected, 2000 year. What was a manifold job turned into a top end rebuild for both motors. What was done, new heads, new manifolds, while he was in there obviously new plugs, also new impellers. Also had him do new bellows. Last winter when boat was put away none of the issue I am about to bring up were there, so one of two things, something was hit or not hooked up right or as with any boat it sits, it rots and breaks.

Anyways after rebuild he took for a water test and it was fine. I take it out starts great runs fine. 20mins down the river the port engine cuts off along with most of the accessories, blower, bilge etc, come to find out the port ignition breaker tripped, pop it back boat starts right up, dies again, same thing port engine. Does this a handful more times, than both engines die. Port engine completely dead nothing gauges dont move nothing and all the accessories are dead, starboard engine gauages turn on and solenoid just clicks once, and nothing.

Get the boat back home check battery connections tight and no corrosion, follow the grounds to the back of the blocks they are tight. Batteries both test out at 13ish volt, even hook battery pack to both batteries to see that will jump the engines nope. Right engine still just clicks once at the solenoid, left engine still dead along with the all accessories. Reason to believe its not the batteries because with those volts the bilge or blower should turn on even if the battery couldnt crank the motors. Also check the wires to the alternators and the starters.

The one thing that was loose was the cross over wire between the perkos. My only thought here is maybe one or both perkos are bad, maybe with that wire loose they arced and fried and or along with corrosion they went back, so going to test for continuity tonight.

With that being said based off the work that was done and symptoms what else is a quick check that would make this die like this.
Old 07-26-2021, 08:22 AM
Registered

Received 334 Likes on 165 Posts

Being you don't have power to other items such as the blowers and gauges, I would start tracing wires to the battery main switches (Perko). You can also jump past these to verify it is the switch. Doesn't sound like it is a major issue, although tracing wiring problems can take time. Good luck.
Old 07-26-2021, 05:59 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 1Zoom
Being you don't have power to other items such as the blowers and gauges, I would start tracing wires to the battery main switches (Perko). You can also jump past these to verify it is the switch. Doesn't sound like it is a major issue, although tracing wiring problems can take time. Good luck.
Test volts in and out on the switches and continuity is good wires are also hooked up right. I think we have narrowed it down to the starter solenoid or the starter fuse. One engine you can jump the solenoid and turns over, the other just clicks. the one that turns over the solenoid gets 12v and at the breaker, the one that doesnt turn over doesnt get any volts.

Im going to replace the solenoids on top anyways, they look old, and cheap insurance. I dont mind replacing both fused on the starter, other than being a collasal pain to get them, just wondering if there is way to check the fuse some how else.

Also wondering if any make sense that things like blower, etc are all dead.
Old 07-26-2021, 07:50 PM
Registered

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

Do you have the fusable links on your starters?
Old 07-26-2021, 08:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by bigboat28
Do you have the fusable links on your starters?
they are 2000 motors so my guess is they have them can’t really see them
Old 07-26-2021, 10:02 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

You have something shorting out on port engine to cause the breaker to trip multiple times. Probably pinched a power wire during the reassembly. You now most likely have either a tripped 50 amp breaker on the engine (red push in breaker button on top of engine) or the 90 amp fuse on the starter is blow. If either are tripped, you will loose power to all gauges on that side and any accessories wired to that side.
Old 07-28-2021, 07:31 PM
Registered

OK this where I am after investigating some more. Thus far checked batteries and perkos for volts all is within spec, perkos got continuity as well.

-Tonight replaced the slave solenoids for good measure, they looked old and figured lets rule them out.

-SB engine gauges turn on and solenoid clicks but no jump, odd thing is the slave solenoid doesnt show 12volts

-Switched batteries around for fun, same outcome

-Port engine is still completely dead and that must be the engine where all the accessories are hooked to as they are dead. Only thing that is not is the trim. The odd thing here is the slave solenoid shows 12 volts

-Checks volts at the ignition. SG engine had correct volts in the 1 and 2 position, couldnt check the third positio. Port engine had nothing on anything

-engine ground cables felt state and not corroded

-engines jump from slave solnoid

I am at one of the following things

1- Is it possible the batteries or one of them has some sort of internal short or cell broke. Doesnt make sense to me as I switched them

2. 50amp red breaker, iv pushed them a 100 times, are they supposed to stay in and not move much, because they kind of push in and out

3. Still thinking fuesable link is in the mix, i was able to reach under and feel them and get a picture of one, at least to the feel and look they werent melted, could still be bad. anyway to check these remotely or somewhere else, because getting down there is, pretty much going to mean replacing them.
Old 07-28-2021, 07:49 PM
Registered

Received 1,325 Likes on 739 Posts

When you say the slave doesn't show 12V what does it show? Also what is both battery voltages.

Engines jump from slave solenoids, do you mean if you short across the large cables they will turn over?

I think Griff has it for the port motor.

Originally Posted by soldier4402
OK this where I am after investigating some more. Thus far checked batteries and perkos for volts all is within spec, perkos got continuity as well.

-Tonight replaced the slave solenoids for good measure, they looked old and figured lets rule them out.

-SB engine gauges turn on and solenoid clicks but no jump, odd thing is the slave solenoid doesnt show 12volts

-Switched batteries around for fun, same outcome

-Port engine is still completely dead and that must be the engine where all the accessories are hooked to as they are dead. Only thing that is not is the trim. The odd thing here is the slave solenoid shows 12 volts

-Checks volts at the ignition. SG engine had correct volts in the 1 and 2 position, couldnt check the third positio. Port engine had nothing on anything

-engine ground cables felt state and not corroded

-engines jump from slave solnoid

I am at one of the following things

1- Is it possible the batteries or one of them has some sort of internal short or cell broke. Doesnt make sense to me as I switched them

2. 50amp red breaker, iv pushed them a 100 times, are they supposed to stay in and not move much, because they kind of push in and out

3. Still thinking fuesable link is in the mix, i was able to reach under and feel them and get a picture of one, at least to the feel and look they werent melted, could still be bad. anyway to check these remotely or somewhere else, because getting down there is, pretty much going to mean replacing them.
The following users liked this post:
Griff (07-29-2021)
Old 07-29-2021, 12:37 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Wort turnover, new battery
Old 07-30-2021, 05:53 AM
Registered

Received 833 Likes on 353 Posts

Is there another fuse or breaker somewhere upstream of the port motor? I don’t know how they wired your boat but why would your accessories such as bilge blower be fed off of or down stream of the port motor?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.