Importing from Canada to USA >

Importing from Canada to USA

Notices

Importing from Canada to USA

Old 07-31-2021, 12:00 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Importing from Canada to USA

I've found a couple threads similar to the situation I may encounter, but I'm looking for first hand knowledge from someone so I am prepared when the time comes. I am looking to purchase a new boat, without an engine, in Canada and bring back here. Info I have found outlines EPA form 3520-21, but what if I purchased the boat from a manufacturer with no engine or engine components? Can't find any information on someone who has purchased an INBOARD vessel in Canada with no engine, and brought it back to USA to find/buy/build their own engine to then install. Anyone done this exact thing? I assume they would treat it as an empty hull, assume I'll purchase a US compliant engine later, and I simply pay my duty tax on the hull/trailer and be on my way. But it would be a nightmare to find out otherwise at the border. Thanks in advance

Last edited by TinMan718; 07-31-2021 at 06:19 PM.
Old 07-31-2021, 06:45 AM
Registered

Received 793 Likes on 448 Posts

What make is the boat? If built in the US it is quite simple
Old 07-31-2021, 11:50 AM
Registered

Received 423 Likes on 177 Posts

I don't know if this answers the question, but when I bought a boat from a guy in Canada, he drove it across the border for "vacation", and then I took possession of it in the US. It sure cleaned up allot of things.
Old 07-31-2021, 06:16 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by speicher lane
What make is the boat? If built in the US it is quite simple

It's Canadian built.
Old 07-31-2021, 06:18 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 36Tango
I don't know if this answers the question, but when I bought a boat from a guy in Canada, he drove it across the border for "vacation", and then I took possession of it in the US. It sure cleaned up allot of things.
It's a brand new boat, so not only would the manufacturer NOT do that, but I may run into trouble at my local DMV when trying to license it without declaration/importation paperwork. Thank you tho
Old 07-31-2021, 07:05 PM
Registered

Received 793 Likes on 448 Posts

Contact border services for what you need to do and the process of paperwork.

Is it a Tuff hull?
Old 07-31-2021, 08:04 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by speicher lane
Contact border services for what you need to do and the process of paperwork.

Is it a Tuff hull?
Looking at Outlaw Eagle and a couple others manufacturers. I know you normally would need EPA form etc..but if it's an empty hull, no motor...🤷🏻‍♂️ Can't find that exact experience
Old 08-02-2021, 12:50 AM
Registered

Received 646 Likes on 299 Posts

Saw this when looking briefly into it:

https://cbpcomplaints.cbp.gov/s/arti...language=en_US
The following users liked this post:
TinMan718 (08-02-2021)
Old 08-10-2021, 04:35 PM
Registered

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

I delivered a Top Gun from Canada to Buffalo NY, the new owners met me at the US side. There were no engines in the boat. We went inside to Customs -- after 20 minutes of calling to their Superiors they looked at us and said there was no paperwork required -- I believe they stamped the bill of sale for the hull but that was it... Said that if there were engines it would have been much different...
Old 08-10-2021, 06:46 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by delsol
I delivered a Top Gun from Canada to Buffalo NY, the new owners met me at the US side. There were no engines in the boat. We went inside to Customs -- after 20 minutes of calling to their Superiors they looked at us and said there was no paperwork required -- I believe they stamped the bill of sale for the hull but that was it... Said that if there were engines it would have been much different...

Is a top gun a US made boat? I know the two things that matter are engines...and if it is US made returning to US, or Canada made going to US for first time. If it's CA going to US, taxes have to be paid, if not, no taxes paid.

Thanks for the experience...feeling better about my chances