Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Regarding Cigarette (or any performance boats) engine sizes and reliability.... >

Regarding Cigarette (or any performance boats) engine sizes and reliability....

Notices

Regarding Cigarette (or any performance boats) engine sizes and reliability....

Old 08-05-2021, 01:13 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 50 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Regarding Cigarette (or any performance boats) engine sizes and reliability....

Which engines seem to be the most reliable? As I look at boats for sale, I notice a lot have new engines or have had major services in recent past. It makes me wonder what engines tend to be the most reliable. I think I notice a trend that 500 size engines are replaced more than 700s. It also makes me wonder if increasing engine sizes means more or less maintenance. For me, reliability is probably more important than performance. If anyone with experience on the topic would care to elaborate, I'd welcome the education.

Best to all,

e
Old 08-05-2021, 01:46 PM
Registered

Received 273 Likes on 163 Posts

Yep, generally bigger engines require more maintenance. Higher HP generally creates a shorter rebuild time. Supercharged motors are generally more maintenance and shorter rebuild times than one without a supercharger.

And if you tear your stuff up by pretending to be Ben Kramer in an open rough water race then expect the entire boat to have seriously high maintenance no matter the power.

Generally, I've noticed the 500 EFI mercury racing motors were holding together better than the 525's. The stock 496's 502/454 mags are generally considered very reliable with rebuild times running up to 1,500 hours, but they are probably starting to lose some power at around 1,100 hours
The following 3 users liked this post by TexomaPowerboater:
Dave3fl (08-05-2021), OLDRAT (08-07-2021), rak rua (08-05-2021)
Old 08-05-2021, 01:59 PM
Registered

Received 792 Likes on 447 Posts

When it comes to boats, the words "offshore" combined with "Performance" does not have any relation to "maintenance free boating" nor "economical".

If you are looking for the best of everything, you are limiting HP (HP= High demand on engine internals as the hp/CID goes up). That said 200 hours + for a bigger HP engine for a top end service is a lot of boating when you start the clock interval at "0".

Just to keep the conversation clear, I believe Texoma's comment "Higher HP generally creates a shorter rebuild time" means intervals between overhaul and NOT the physical time it take to rebuild.(Shops charge by the hour or 1/4 hour)
The following users liked this post:
ICDEDPPL (08-06-2021)
Old 08-05-2021, 01:59 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I should mention, Im looking at 2008 and newer boats

TexomaPowerboater thank you so much for your input!
Old 08-05-2021, 02:08 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by speicher lane
When it comes to boats, the words "offshore" combined with "Performance" does not have any relation to "maintenance free boating" nor "economical".

If you are looking for the best of everything, you are limiting HP (HP= High demand on engine internals as the hp/CID goes up). That said 200 hours + for a bigger HP engine for a top end service is a lot of boating when you start the clock interval at "0".

Just to keep the conversation clear, I believe Texoma's comment "Higher HP generally creates a shorter rebuild time" means intervals between overhaul and NOT the physical time it take to rebuild.(Shops charge by the hour or 1/4 hour)

Yes I know there will be severe maintenance demands on any offshore engine. I just want to make sire I am shopping for boat/engine combos that are more on the reliable side of things. I wont be happy with an engine/drivetrain package that is overly high maintenance. As I am getting older, my patience for such things is wearing thinner and thinner. Its not jus the $, it all the phone calls, arrangements, etc etc that come with every "transaction" I think you can understand my rationale.

Last edited by enzo thecat; 08-05-2021 at 02:30 PM.
Old 08-05-2021, 03:02 PM
Registered

Received 414 Likes on 244 Posts

IMO I would buy a mercury black engine in your situation. The tend to require less maintenance.

I just sold my 2002 that had a 8.1 (496) that was just about turn key. Only had one iac go bad in 9 years that I owned it. Had 535 hours on it. Still ran strong.
The following 2 users liked this post by underpsi68:
rak rua (08-05-2021), TICafeRacer (08-15-2021)
Old 08-05-2021, 04:04 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,038 Likes on 1,352 Posts

Are you looking at the 39 or 42 ? personally Id call some of the shops that rebuild the engines and drives for an approximate cost and intervals, a 700 SCI will be less expensive to rebuild than the QC4 1100, when you get into engine/drive packages that can be 150K it can get expensive.
The following users liked this post:
speicher lane (08-05-2021)
Old 08-05-2021, 04:35 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

" BOAT " ................ . BRING OUT ANOTHER THOUSAND !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. More often than not ....................... that's just to start.
Old 08-05-2021, 04:52 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater
Yep, generally bigger engines require more maintenance. Higher HP generally creates a shorter rebuild time. Supercharged motors are generally more maintenance and shorter rebuild times than one without a supercharger.

And if you tear your stuff up by pretending to be Ben Kramer in an open rough water race then expect the entire boat to have seriously high maintenance no matter the power.

Generally, I've noticed the 500 EFI mercury racing motors were holding together better than the 525's. The stock 496's 502/454 mags are generally considered very reliable with rebuild times running up to 1,500 hours, but they are probably starting to lose some power at around 1,100 hours

In terms of the 500 EFI's vs the 525EFI's I would say they are a wash with the exception of the valve train on the 525. The larger cam profile in the 525 does need a little more attention than the 500. When it comes to the bottom end the 525 is a much upgraded piece. The 525 EFI is for sure one of Merc Racing finest "stock" offerings ever. The 500 EFI was a real solid offering as well. He!! the 700's are real solid as well. Merc Racing does a real decent job, I had a pair of 525 SC's with Chillers and smaller pulleys years back and in some eight years did nothing but oil, filters, and a lot of gas.
Old 08-05-2021, 06:53 PM
Registered

Received 273 Likes on 163 Posts

I'll defer to RaggedEdge. I'm not an engine guru nor do I have experience with blue motors.

Agree that poster should stick to mercury black or outboards. I prefer the outboards for low maintenance boating.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.