Notices

First boat

Old 08-16-2021, 08:12 PM
  #1  
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: Missouri
Posts: 1
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First boat

Hello everyone, looking to purchase my first boat sometime next spring but starting my research now. This will be MY first boat but I do have experience with boats growing up on the Mississippi and LOTO in Missouri. Im not set on I absolutely wont buy this make but Ive narrowed it down to Baja or Fountain between 29-42ft. Ill be between the river and LOTO so want something that can handle the madhouse that the lake has become. Basically just looking for dos, don ts, adavantages/disadvantages from more experienced boaters. TY in advance!
birdman8921 is offline  
Old 08-16-2021, 08:39 PM
  #2  
VIP Member
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: ankeny,ia.
Posts: 3,884
Received 91 Likes on 56 Posts
Default

Don’t rule out a 40
skater with a cardboard bussle
JaayTeee is offline  
The following 3 users liked this post by JaayTeee:
dykstra (08-17-2021), KCHOTBOAT (08-16-2021), Unlimited jd (08-17-2021)
Old 08-17-2021, 06:47 AM
  #3  
Registered
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Indiana
Posts: 315
Received 145 Likes on 63 Posts
Default

29-42 wow! Thats a lot of first boat
liberator221 is offline  
The following users liked this post:
92nsx (08-17-2021)
Old 08-17-2021, 11:49 AM
  #4  
Registered
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Palos, Illinois
Posts: 237
Received 167 Likes on 83 Posts
Default

As many threads say, make sure to get a good quality survey on whatever you buy. As for what brand and size, that is a matter of budget and preference. If you talk to someone with a Fountain they are the best, Cigarette, Baja, Donzi owners will probably say the same. As for size, I will tell you Size does Matter, if you can afford the larger one, that will be your best bet. Every boat I have owned, including the current one, you are always looking for the next larger one. So you might as well cut out the middle and go biggest your budget will allow.
Just remember the to account for the forgotten items like, is my vehicle large enough to pull it, Insurance cost, and upkeep. Just my 2 cents. Hope this helps.
1Zoom is offline  
Old 08-17-2021, 05:40 PM
  #5  
Registered
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Northern NY
Posts: 5,276
Likes: 0
Received 42 Likes on 19 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 1Zoom View Post
As many threads say, make sure to get a good quality survey on whatever you buy. As for what brand and size, that is a matter of budget and preference. If you talk to someone with a Fountain they are the best, Cigarette, Baja, Donzi owners will probably say the same. As for size, I will tell you Size does Matter, if you can afford the larger one, that will be your best bet. Every boat I have owned, including the current one, you are always looking for the next larger one. So you might as well cut out the middle and go biggest your budget will allow.
Just remember the to account for the forgotten items like, is my vehicle large enough to pull it, Insurance cost, and upkeep. Just my 2 cents. Hope this helps.

I get the my brand is the best chit. Honestly why would any of us spend a single dime on a boat that we did not feel was worthy of our hard earned money.

I'm a solid Fountain guy, been that way for a decade and a half. Why? Because this past Sunday, my very first first ride in two summers, at 90 MPH I had that big chit eatin' grin on my face and said to myself "This Biotch will run!". I love my boat, it works for me, more than anything it puts a big azz smile on my face.

No matter what you settle on just make sure it puts that smile on your face. Any day on the water beats the chit out of a day on the dirt and just be sure to thank God you are blessed to be able to be out there.
RaggedEdge is offline  
The following 7 users liked this post by RaggedEdge:
1Zoom (08-17-2021), BamBam2022 (10-04-2021), dykstra (08-17-2021), larslindroth (10-07-2021), resurrected (08-18-2021), Smarty (08-17-2021), TexomaPowerboater (08-17-2021)
Old 08-17-2021, 08:09 PM
  #6  
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
iTrader: (1)
 
dykstra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, IL
Posts: 5,809
Received 89 Likes on 55 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by RaggedEdge View Post
I get the my brand is the best chit. Honestly why would any of us spend a single dime on a boat that we did not feel was worthy of our hard earned money.

I'm a solid Fountain guy, been that way for a decade and a half. Why? Because this past Sunday, my very first first ride in two summers, at 90 MPH I had that big chit eatin' grin on my face and said to myself "This Biotch will run!". I love my boat, it works for me, more than anything it puts a big azz smile on my face.

No matter what you settle on just make sure it puts that smile on your face. Any day on the water beats the chit out of a day on the dirt and just be sure to thank God you are blessed to be able to be out there.
Well said!
dykstra is offline  
Old 08-17-2021, 08:53 PM
  #7  
Gold Member
Gold Member
 
seafordguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Seaford, VA
Posts: 4,540
Received 325 Likes on 166 Posts
Default

Congrats - I'll never forget the day my wife and I drove to Connecticut to buy my Cafe Racer. Could hardly sleep I was so excited/nervous! Of course the truck I was supposed to buy was sold out from under me so I had to stop on the way and buy a used dually cattle truck with 300k miles on it from some old farmer off the side of the road that was missing second gear. Good times being young and dumb.

Go big, be smart on the water and enjoy the hell out of it.....

PS - go for reliability and proven maintenance in your first go fast boat. You'll ruin the experience otherwise....
seafordguy is offline  
The following 3 users liked this post by seafordguy:
Smarty (08-17-2021), underpsi68 (08-17-2021), Unlimited jd (08-17-2021)
Old 08-17-2021, 11:06 PM
  #8  
Charter Member #737
Charter Member
 
KCHOTBOAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: LOTO 31 mm
Posts: 1,450
Received 49 Likes on 29 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 1Zoom View Post
As many threads say, make sure to get a good quality survey on whatever you buy. As for what brand and size, that is a matter of budget and preference. If you talk to someone with a Fountain they are the best, Cigarette, Baja, Donzi owners will probably say the same. As for size, I will tell you Size does Matter, if you can afford the larger one, that will be your best bet. Every boat I have owned, including the current one, you are always looking for the next larger one. So you might as well cut out the middle and go biggest your budget will allow.
Just remember the to account for the forgotten items like, is my vehicle large enough to pull it, Insurance cost, and upkeep. Just my 2 cents. Hope this helps.
Odds are very good this is Darr posting BS. When is the last time someone is wanting a 42 ft boat for the first boat.
KCHOTBOAT is offline  
The following 2 users liked this post by KCHOTBOAT:
JaayTeee (08-18-2021), TexomaPowerboater (08-17-2021)
Old 08-17-2021, 11:06 PM
  #9  
Registered
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mansfield, TX
Posts: 6,035
Received 87 Likes on 47 Posts
Default

As an accountant I advise you to gain a full understanding of the ownership cost and budget for some decent repairs and when considering purchase price. When you budget for this stuff do your best calculations and then double, maybe triple that number just to make sure your still comfortable financial wise. You are better off to buy something in mint condition that runs than buying something in average condition and not having the money to run it, even if that means buying something newer and much smaller than you had hoped for. If your young, don't forget about the bloody day care costs you'll eventually pay when you marry and get kids after buying said boat. At the end of the day being on the water is what counts. Don't buy something that doesn't allow you to build wealth after considering ownership costs.

I think your choices are too narrow. Plenty of other custom and production builders that build a product of same or higher quality and any used boat has a potential for significant repairs.
TexomaPowerboater is offline  
Old 08-18-2021, 06:18 AM
  #10  
VIP Member
VIP Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Quinlan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Tulsa, GLOC
Posts: 3,809
Received 261 Likes on 120 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by KCHOTBOAT View Post
Odds are very good this is Darr posting BS. When is the last time someone is wanting a 42 ft boat for the first boat.
NO idea if this is Darr or not but I will say the guys that came from Philly to look at my Gun a few months ago-
I was asking what kind of boats you have owned- he said- Seadoos and a Jet Boat- I'm like WhatEver- Thinking Tire Kickers for sure.
They left OK and went to PBC and bought the 42X w 900's and 6's. So it does happen lol. This guy was NO Darr BS
Go Big or Go Home
Quinlan is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.