Recommendations for boat dog

Notices

Recommendations for boat dog

Old 09-01-2021, 05:12 PM
Ton
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Recommendations for boat dog

Whats some recommendations for a medium-sized, maybe 20-40 pound dog, that will more than likely enjoy the boat/water?

I've had several labs, all had the most outgoing personalities and loved the water. Wanting to get a smaller dog though this time. Was considering a springer spaniel.

Also, what's the go-to website to find puppies?

thanks.
Old 09-01-2021, 05:39 PM
Registered

Received 283 Likes on 170 Posts

I like a good mutt with short hair, their loyal. Full breed anything has been inbred so much you never know what your going to get.

Although I must admit my mutt dog doesn't like the boat anymore. She used to love it, but the last time we had her out for probably a 4-5 hour ride to the party islands. When we got back she didn't want to get off the boat. We had to carry her off and when we put her down and she would jump back into the boat. I think she had vertigo or maybe her sea legs were so bad she kind of freaked out. We left her for maybe 3-5 minutes (dock at lakehouse) and she got out on her own, but has since refused to go anymore, weird.
The following users liked this post:
Eddienel (09-03-2021)
Old 09-01-2021, 06:10 PM
Registered

Received 317 Likes on 174 Posts

The best website is the breeds National Club. There you will find about what the breed is like and most will have breeder contact info. This is an example of a national breed club for the Irish Water Spaniel which you may want to consider. I see they have a breeder directory. https://www.iwsca.org/

One more thing...if it is too easy to purchase a puppy from a breeder, run like hell. Getting a pup from a good conscientious breeder will be like adopting a child.

I do limited breeding but Irish Wolfhounds are not the best boat dog.

Padraig

DrFeelgood (09-02-2021)
Old 09-01-2021, 07:17 PM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 105 Posts

Had a sheltie shepherd mix from the pound, that dog loved the water. Cons were she would want you to throw a ball 25 hours a day and 8 days a week and shed a decent amount. Great dog on the boat though.
Old 09-01-2021, 07:54 PM
Registered

Received 295 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by tmmii
Had a sheltie shepherd mix from the pound, that dog loved the water. Cons were she would want you to throw a ball 25 hours a day and 8 days a week and shed a decent amount. Great dog on the boat though.
I have a border collie and the breed fits the bill of the op, but same as quoted here.
tmmii (09-01-2021)
Old 09-01-2021, 08:15 PM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Simple answer. "Water Dog".

I just had to.
Old 09-01-2021, 09:11 PM
Registered

Received 735 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by Padraig
The best website is the breeds National Club. There you will find about what the breed is like and most will have breeder contact info. This is an example of a national breed club for the Irish Water Spaniel which you may want to consider. I see they have a breeder directory. https://www.iwsca.org/

One more thing...if it is too easy to purchase a puppy from a breeder, run like hell. Getting a pup from a good conscientious breeder will be like adopting a child.

I do limited breeding but Irish Wolfhounds are not the best boat dog.

Padraig
This is excellent advice if you're looking for a specific breed. There's some great dogs waiting in shelters also.
The following 2 users liked this post by Interceptor:
DrFeelgood (09-02-2021), Padraig (09-02-2021)
Old 09-02-2021, 07:47 AM
Registered

Received 971 Likes on 441 Posts

Some amazing dogs waiting to be adopted from shelters out there! It's heartbreaking to think about the lives some of them led leading up to being in their current situation. Personally, rescue mutts all the way for me.

That said, I know some folks just "have to" have a purebred dog, and if that's the case, avoid any puppy store / pet shop - 100% puppy mill sourced, regardless of what the salesperson promises. Most of them are like used car salesmen, say anything to close that deal. I've heard the spiel repeatedly -- "we go to the breeders and personally select only the best blah blah blah..." No, they don't. They buy from puppy brokers who go around the country buying whole litters, toss em on a truck, and hope most of them survive to the pet shop. Markup along the way, so the $300 puppy in Oklahoma is a $3500 puppy at the pet shop in Florida.

Any breeder that has multiple litters available at the same time -- red flag, don't buy. Conscientious breeders have waiting lists for buyers for their next litter, because they don't breed on every cycle, they actively do something to improve the breed (showing, performance training/trials, etc), and often have health certifications for the breeding stock and the genetic issues typically seen in said breed. A good breeder should be more than just a dog pimp.
Ryan00TJ (09-02-2021)
Old 09-02-2021, 08:28 AM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,073 Likes on 283 Posts

Smaller than you're asking but our Corgi loves the boat and water
Padraig (09-02-2021)
Old 09-02-2021, 08:33 AM
Registered

Received 317 Likes on 174 Posts

Well Said DrFeelgood! It is also useful and fun to go to some dog shows. You can see the various breeds, meet and talk to the breeders and get a feel for both the dogs and breeders. It is best to talk to the breeders after the dog has been in the ring as the breeders are usually very distracted before that. Even if the breeders do not have pups at this time you may get on a list or they may be able to recommend someone. You can find a listing of dog shows at www.infodog.com Look for the all breed confirmation shows.

Padraig

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.