Tips on driving through wake

Old 09-22-2021, 04:07 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 619 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by cheech
The captain or camera man?
Either way.
No way I'd be proud of getting that many people hurt!
Or recording it and showing it to the world to be made fun of endlessly.
the driver

You and 99.9% of the rest of the boating population
Old 09-22-2021, 04:10 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by H20 Toie
Actually he was pretty proud of it, made a comment about being the most famous boater on you tube
I know I'm always proud of myself when I can send my passengers home injured and permanently tied to YouTube deushbaggery....
The following users liked this post:
cheech (09-23-2021)
Old 09-22-2021, 04:14 PM
Registered

Received 421 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by 540Fever
He's going to need some new controls (bent them over) and a clean pair of shorts. Yes, a video like this is precisely why I'd like to figure this out
Find a local boater with a similar boat and ask them to spend some time with you. A few hours together over a few weeks and you will have the feel of it.
Old 09-22-2021, 04:15 PM
Registered

Received 421 Likes on 175 Posts

He's going to need some new controls (bent them over) and a clean pair of shorts. Yes, a video like this is precisely why I'd like to figure this out
Find a local boater with a similar boat and ask them to spend some time with you. A few hours together over a few weeks and you will have the feel of it.
Old 09-22-2021, 04:26 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

About as basic of a question you’ve probably all seen I recently picked up a 27’ Fountain and trying to get comfortable with the boat. This is the first boat I’ve ever owned, so have been reading quite a bit.

I recently realized I’ve been running tabs in a positive trim because I don’t have a limiter on my tabs, so that may help some as I lower them slightly. I understand if you see a wake, drive into it in a 90* and you’ll typically sail right over. My question is more around those waves that happen to be coming from both directions. Sometimes for me, even at 60-65, it’s hard to see a wave coming in until you’re about to hit it. Sometimes it really feels like the boat is riding multiple waves and you don’t have the same feel and control as your normally would. These don’t even have to be big waves necessarily just hit at the right time.

looking for some advice on how others handle these waves or is it just part of boating and roll through them?

Thanks,
Todd
Come on man, you can't drive like this yet ?

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/MBnzTFNKARk" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
The following 3 users liked this post by SB:
540Fever (09-22-2021), CDShack (09-23-2021), the deep (09-22-2021)
Old 09-22-2021, 04:30 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by 36Tango

Good advise. Also figure out where, on your gages, the neutral drive and tab settings are. Prop shaft and tabs dead level with the plane of the boat bottom. Fountains work well on their bottom in sloppy water, it's how they were designed to run, very close to a neutral setting. Go online and look for videos of Fountains running, very flat when hauling the mail thru slop.
Dave3fl (09-22-2021)
Old 09-22-2021, 05:35 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

If you're in confused seas, honestly I don't think there's much you can do about it except keep as much hull in it as you can with neutral trim. Like Ragged Edge said, use a level or straight edge to find neutral in your drive and tabs. You can also use subtle steering input to help out. If it's too bad make sure you slow down, I know it's not bad ass but safety first then get into some clean water and let it rip.
The following 2 users liked this post by Indy:
c0ncEpT (09-23-2021), offshoredrillin (09-24-2021)
Old 09-22-2021, 06:51 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 94 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by RaggedEdge
Good advise. Also figure out where, on your gages, the neutral drive and tab settings are. Prop shaft and tabs dead level with the plane of the boat bottom. Fountains work well on their bottom in sloppy water, it's how they were designed to run, very close to a neutral setting. Go online and look for videos of Fountains running, very flat when hauling the mail thru slop.
Yes! I was reading yesterday and realized I don’t have tab limiters and they were all the way trimmed up positive. 2.5 is where I need to be on tab trim and a touch over 3 on the drive.

I think making these changes should really help the boats handling and stability.
Old 09-22-2021, 09:17 PM
Registered

Received 59 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by thisistank
That dude owns a 42X Cigarette now with (I believe) 1100's. He was at the cig run in 2020
Thought it was a 39 700 boat? Green right?
Old 09-23-2021, 10:04 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

About as basic of a question you’ve probably all seen I recently picked up a 27’ Fountain and trying to get comfortable with the boat. This is the first boat I’ve ever owned, so have been reading quite a bit.

I recently realized I’ve been running tabs in a positive trim because I don’t have a limiter on my tabs, so that may help some as I lower them slightly. I understand if you see a wake, drive into it in a 90* and you’ll typically sail right over. My question is more around those waves that happen to be coming from both directions. Sometimes for me, even at 60-65, it’s hard to see a wave coming in until you’re about to hit it. Sometimes it really feels like the boat is riding multiple waves and you don’t have the same feel and control as your normally would. These don’t even have to be big waves necessarily just hit at the right time.

looking for some advice on how others handle these waves or is it just part of boating and roll through them?

Thanks,
Todd
You may want to put a straight edge on the back of the hull, lower your tabs so they are aligned with the straight edge, then mark your gauge so you know when you are at "neutral" trim and the tabs are level with the bottom. This way you will know exactly where your tabs are.

In addition, do the same thing with your drives. Set them straight, then mark the gauge.
540Fever (09-23-2021)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.